Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new on here. I inherited an old PPK (early 60s era) from my grandpa that I hadn't shot since I was a kid. I took it out the other day and shot a couple magazines at 10 yards I couldn't hold a group less than 5"?! As a comparison I shot a couple magazines of the same ammo through my LCP and they were about 1.5". The PPK is in perfect condition and I can't see any obvious issues after tearing it down. What are the first things I should take a look at?

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum. We'd like to see some pictures of your new Walther.

Since you haven't shot it since you were a kid I would expect you to require several range sessions to build proficiency with it before reaching a decision on accuracy. Also, different guns can prefer different brands of ammunition. I would pick up several boxes by different manufacturers and see if one or the other shows an improvement. In the meantime you can try cleaning the bore. If it was shot using lead bullets they could have fouled the rifling.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I took it apart and cleaned it well before I took it out to refresh my mind of its mechanical design (I was a mechanic and worked on guns a little in the past). Here is a pic I found on my phone and one of the target. The target pic loaded on the side so the ppk hits are high, not on the left like it looks....I was aiming at the center target on both. Ill get some better pics later.

Attachments

Premium Member
I hate to say it but the mostly likely cause of poor accuracy of the gun is the shooter. Perhaps trying shooting it from a rest or let someone else try to shoot it.

I do not mean to be condescending. I have no idea how experienced you are with pistols.

Sometimes it takes some time and rounds downrange to.get the most out of a gun.

The two guns you are comparing are very different from one another and the feel or technique to shoot them well is going to be a little different.

Premium Member
Blow backs by their nature are usually extremely accurate at the range you suggest. I'd agree with the others that sometimes it is the indian and not the arrow.

A box of ammo might solve the issue as others have suggested.

Reactions: Jimmo952

Registered
Brettlongmore.

Assume you are a right handed shooter.
You did very well with the LCP.
The ppk is so different that you were getting more variance.

Consider working on your technique.

Possible technique refinement. To get even better. And to establish technique to also apply to the ppk .

The LCP has a tight group (which is very good) but low left. (which happens with many).
I suggest you use more trigger finger and place in the mid section of the trigger not at the tip and keep strong wrist alignment to prevent breaking wrist downward when firing. That was how I improved with my original LCP, not the new LCPII.

The LCP sights are not the greatest so keep the entire slide on target through the trigger squeeze.
Keep slide nice and level on target.

PPK.
Start with the single action to see how accurate you can get.

My tip what works for me.

Empty unloaded ppk. Get your grip more like the shooting style in the 1930s more target approach vs today's combat high hand approach.
The design ergos is based upon the 1930s abd1930s approach. Help with trigger control and avoid slide bite.

Trigger finger placement . Have your trigger finger on the trigger so that when squeezing the press is naturally directly rearward. The ergos of the ppk is such that the hand held position of the backstrap and hand is positioned that when you have found the sweet spot for the trigger finger placement the pistol will tend to stay pointed on target at the instant of firing.
So hold the pistol and rest your hand on a sandbag or bench then carefully squeeze the trigger. The hits should be very close to poa.
Don't rest the pistol on a sandbag or bench directly. Instead steady you hand.

After good results in single action practice the same way in double action. But the trigger weight is much more so take your time and slowly squeeze keeping the sights on target. Practice dry fire first to save ammo.
You will use you own technique. I attempted to describe my technique in this post.
Good luck.

Registered
The sights on your gun are proofed (test target) at 15m distance. So it's normal that you shoot to high at 10 yards. Your point of aim should be lower.

Reactions: olsoul

Registered
FWIW鈥擨鈥檓 no expert, just like to shoot. I normally shoot indoors at 7 yards and have found on MY S&W PPK I have to aim low or I miss the target high. Not so with my LCP or PPK/S in .22. Could be me but it鈥檚 fairly consistent.

Registered
It is not that simple...
how very simple.
LCP and PPK have a different design. Therefore, PPK requires a more dense, "power" retention.
Try a strong two-handed holding and see an improvement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts