Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought a used PPK/S. We think it was made in 1980. I have no history on the gun and what work was done on it.

I grabbed a box of Blazer and went to the range. There were a few malfunctions. So the other night I gave it a thorough cleaning - way more than I ever do with any new gun. Common surfaces weren't bad, but when I got out the patches and a pick, some areas and crevices took many passes to finally see something other than solid black on the patch. I used a Ballistol and Hoppes 9.

Two new magazines arrived yesterday. So I went back to the range last night and went through a box of Federal American Eagle without issue. I also had bought a box of Herter's and went through that. There was one failure to fire there, which I don't quite understand. I tried the round again and it did fire.

I didn't spend much time worrying about accuracy, but I did consistently hit a grocery bag size target at ranges up to 15 yards. I took rapid fire with every other mag. With just the one FF issue, that was certainly more than I expected. The pistol isn't anything jarring to shoot. I get nothing near of slide bite. I actually find it more comfortable than my P938.

When I got home last night, I went through a cleaning again. It looked more normal this time- that is to say, what all my pistols look like after a range trip.

My only concern is the firing pin spring at this point. I plan to do another range trip but with even more ammo (mostly Federal) just to see what happens. Is it possible to use something to clean the spring itself while it's in position? I've seen too many comment that you don't want to go there unless totally disassembled. I do have something that is supposed to clean stuff without disassembling.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Try a good non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray with the narrow red tube installed and really get in there to flush away any gunk or dried up oil. A tiny bit of gun oil and work the FP back and forth with the safety in the off position.
Do this with the slide off because you never know what the cleaner will do to the grips.
Also, cover up the front & rear sights so the paint doesn't get dissolved off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try a good non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray with the narrow red tube installed and really get in there to flush away any gunk or dried up oil. A tiny bit of gun oil and work the FP back and forth with the safety in the off position.
Do this with the slide off because you never know what the cleaner will do to the grips.
Also, cover up the front & rear sights so the paint doesn't get dissolved off.

Done. 150 rounds, no malfunctions.

The paint on the sights is already gone. That is my next project.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
If you're getting malfs in that few rounds, I'd be skeptical of carrying it.
The brake cleaner was good advice; if you have air in your shop, or buy a can of air, blow out the excess.
Moon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're getting malfs in that few rounds, I'd be skeptical of carrying it.
The brake cleaner was good advice; if you have air in your shop, or buy a can of air, blow out the excess.
Moon
Thanks. I blew it out several times.

After the second cleaning, I think it's good now. I haven't run anything but Federal through it though, so I might get a few boxed of the other and try those again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my PPK/S ultrasonically cleaned. Shoots great. It is an Interarms and as close as I can figure it was made sometime in the 80's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts