Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Interarms PPK/S, when I chamber a round from the magazine, it seems the next round in the mag tends to slide forward slightly. When you remove the mag, you have to pull down with a tug to remove the mag., as the next round to feed needs to be pushed back slightly. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I've had that happen on ocassion with various semi-autos. I would make sure the cartridges are properly seated in the magazne before loading it into the pistol. A tap on the back of the mag usually does the trick.

If the problem persists, prehaps a new mag spring would be in order.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That happens every time I chamber a round in my S&W PPK/S-1. I haven't ever known it to cause a problem as I've had no failures with it. I think it can be attributed to new, strong magazine springs actally, as a stronger pressure on the follower and bullets below the "on deck" bullet will make it want to be entrained by the bullet loading into the chamber. You can see this simply by stripping a round from the magazine with your thumb when it is out of the gun. Oh well, if it doesn't affect the weapons function, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My feelings exactly. I took the pistol apart and removed the recoil spring and replaced the slide. I inserted the mag and DID NOT chamber around, but slowly moved the slide back to just where it would NOT allow the round to pop up in feed position. Then I slowly moved the slide forward into locked battery position. It seems that the friction of the bottom of the slide resting on the top round in the mag, pushes the round forward slightly.

Just wanted to see if any of you had noticed the same thing. It causes no problems with reliabilty or function. :D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It seems that the friction of the bottom of the slide resting on the top round in the mag, pushes the round forward slightly.
:D
You are right on.

That is the reason why good QC control at the factory ensures that the feed rib on the bottom of the slide is free of machine marks and polished if necessary to reduce friction when the slide cycles. Also the front corner of the rib where it meets the bottom of the bolt face must be chamfered just enough to keep it from digging into the brass of the cartridge below the one being fed as the slide closes. That corner needs to be just barely broken, not beveled, otherwise feeding malfunctions may result.

Small dimensional differences in individual guns --including frame and slide interface, location of the magazine catch and especially the width of the space between the magazine lips-- can affect how high the second cartridge is positioned, and how firmly it is being held, when the slide overrides it.

The S&W PPK and PPK/S pistols that I have field-stripped all look (and feel) as though nobody at the plant bothered to de-burr anything. That some of them passed QC when the slide could not even be easily dismounted (how else could they check inside? is not reassuring.

M

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I remove the PPK and PPK/S mags from my S&W PPK, they are slightly forward. But haven't had a problem in about 650 rounds so I don't worry about it at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts