Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a post-recall Smith and Wesson PPK/S. I've noticed when dry firing in double action (with a snap cap) that there's a strange springy twang after the hammer falls. I tried this with an empty chamber, and it did the same thing. In single action, there is very little twang. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it anything to be worried about?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Could it be your mainspring?? Last time I had a PPk apart, mainspring was coil, and those are notorious for harmonic imbalance if induced at just the right tension Like, say a triggering of a hammer??? Mind you, that is a tight wind, small diameter coil spring, but think "Slinky" toy. Remember when you held it at both ends and shook one side, it would travel through the toy to the other end and then back?? Same thing, on a much smaller scale, is happening. It is all the built up energy from compressing it being expelled through the hammer and into the snap cap, or if on an empty chamber, the hammer stopping on the firing pin. Spring inside the slide, firing pin spring, and then the mainspring acting against one another.

Shouldn't be anything of worry. Nothing is falling apart in your hands as you hold the pistol and dry firing it, you should be good to go. This is obvious, but if you are at all suspicious, take it to a competent gunsmith.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is your firing pin making full contact with the primer area of the snap cap or is the firing pin traveling full length of the channel and bottoming out?

The reason I ask this, is that you get the "twanging" sound on both a chamber loaded with snap a cap and an empty chamber? I would think if the firing pin was fully contacting the primer/primer area on the snap cap, the contact would have a muffling effect on the sound? <Just a thought?>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your firing pin making full contact with the primer area of the snap cap or is the firing pin traveling full length of the channel and bottoming out?
Good thought, thanks for the idea. I double-checked with a pencil, though, and it's definitely contacting primers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I found out just now that if I pull the slide slightly back (a centimeter or so) and release it quickly, it will twang as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts