Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was at the range and my S&W PPK/S was shooting ok to start. But after ~30 rounds the slide started to stick in the locked position. I had to manually manipulate it to get it back in battery. It happened about 7 or 8 times out of 50 rounds.

Gun is clean and oiled. So what should I look at? Need it to work reliably.

Brian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
Is the ejector hold down spring still in place and not broken? Its purpose is to hold the ejector/slide hold open down until the more powerful magazine spring acting through the follower pushes the lever up to catch the slide. Without the spring the part can just bounce around under recoil. 1917

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the ejector hold down spring still in place and not broken? Its purpose is to hold the ejector/slide hold open down until the more powerful magazine spring acting through the follower pushes the lever up to catch the slide. Without the spring the part can just bounce around under recoil. 1917

It looks like the spring is in tact.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You said that the gun is clean and oiled, but is it REALLY clean.
There could be a bit of grit or some such fouling the hold open.

I've made that mistake myself a time or two.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It looks like the spring is in tact.
1917 always takes the nicest pictures. His photo shows the ejector and its spring exactly as they should appear.

Now test it: put your thumb over the small hole at the front of the ejector to hold it in place (and keep it from jumping out sideways) and with the fingers of your other hand lift up the rear end of the ejector to compress the spring and let go. The ejector should snap back down smartly, smoothly and completely.

If all that goes well, then you might try I told you in the beginning: change ammo.

M

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
This is another case of.....I can't really tell what the problem is from the OP's post. I assume when he says locked open he means the ejector has engaged the slide but that might not be the issue at all. Internet diagnosis.....difficult. A good explanation or a photo would help. I think I enjoy learning about issues and what it takes to solve them more so than posts regarding what year was this pistol made. :) 1917

·
Registered
9,906 Posts

The above photo shows the rear of the ejector/slide hold open arm engaging the breech face. In this position the slide is held open and should only occur with an empty magazine. Is this what you are seeing or something else. Pistol make, caliber, has it run reliably in the past, new pistol, new to you? What ammo? 1917

·
Registered
20 Posts
My S&W PPK/S likes quality full power ammo with a tight strong grip/ wrist. Works fine with ball and hollow points as long as they are quality loads. Mine had an issue not returning to battery (about 1/4 inch sort of fully closed) when shooting Atlanta arms range reloads. Cycles like clockwork with the good stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... Mine had an issue not returning to battery (about 1/4 inch sort of fully closed) ...
The OP stated that his slide was "sticking in the locked position". Like 1917-1911M, I'm not positive exactly what that phrase means. But I think you are describing a different problem.

M

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said that the gun is clean and oiled, but is it REALLY clean.
There could be a bit of grit or some such fouling the hold open.

I've made that mistake myself a time or two.
it appears to my eyes and magnifier it is clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MgMike,

Going to try recommended ammo as soon as it arrives. A couple of days. Based on feedback across the board everyone thinks it’s ammo so that is next step. I tried suggestion to check spring and it is sting enough to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My S&W PPK/S likes quality full power ammo with a tight strong grip/ wrist. Works fine with ball and hollow points as long as they are quality loads. Mine had an issue not returning to battery (about 1/4 inch sort of fully closed) when shooting Atlanta arms range reloads. Cycles like clockwork with the good stuff.
sounds similar. About 1/4 to be pushed back to battery. I hope it is the ammo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The above photo shows the rear of the ejector/slide hold open arm engaging the breech face. In this position the slide is held open and should only occur with an empty magazine. Is this what you are seeing or something else. Pistol make, caliber, has it run reliably in the past, new pistol, new to you? What ammo? 1917
S&W PPK/S 1984. Not new to me but Fairly new issue. Maybe 3 weeks happening. It is new ammo but did not see issue with first 1/2 dozen boxes. But order up Mikes Suggestion of Federal to test it out.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What ammo were you using?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What ammo were you using?
Vollmantell .380 FMJ. No issues with first 1/2 dozen boxes. Same as putting through the M&P .380EZ. I now see that ammo seems to be a huge issue. Will try the Federal to see if it changes.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Is that the GECO made red box?

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
While we are trying to resolve issues such as this bayates it is a bit difficult over the net and with no gun in hand. For example, locking the slide back is usually a description of the ejector locking the slide open after the last round is fired.

But it sounds like your pistol is not fully chambering the next round and causing the slide to not fully close. You are having a misfeed for some reason. The cause of that would be entirely different and could be ammo, dirty magazine or a dirty chamber. Diagnosis over the net is difficult enough but photos and a more complete description of the problem will get quicker and more accurate answers. Glad to see you are back....story of my life, day late and a dollar short regarding ammo. At least I have plenty this time around. Hope a change of ammo solves your issues....I expect it will. 1917

1 - 20 of 27 Posts