Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always preferred the PPK of the PP series, but lately I've spent more time shooting my 1981 Ulm PPKS in 9mm kurz. Doing so has made me wonder about when Walther first considered the PPK/S configuration. Much is written about how Walther developed the PPK/S in response to the 1968 Gun Control Act (GCA) given the USA was the largest pistol market and the GCA's new restrictions on the PPK. However, does anyone know if Walther considered this configuration well before 1968?

If Walther never considered the PPK/S before the GCA, they sure deserved an A+ grade for the speed to which they responded to market conditions.

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
Well, it was a quick reaction on Walther's part (who would like to have been a fly on the wall at that board meeting, when some bright young guy came up with the idea, thus preserving their market?).
It was also a great anticipation of the mix n' match of uppers and grip frames, as practiced by Glock and SIG.
I can remember the /s being widely excoriated in the gun press, back in the day.
Moon

Reactions: 1917-1911M

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
"Making" the PPK/S wasn't that difficult, in that it's almost certain someone had experimented with putting the PPK slide on the PP frame before it became a necessity to address the '68 act. It may have been a stroke of luck; but really, it was due to the Walther engineers keeping the design of both the PP and PPK so similar.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree it was likely, but also wondering if early experiments with the PPK/S configuration were documented.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I've never been a fan of the PPK/S. I prefer the PP. That's what I'd like to see Walther bring back.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Isn't it so that the first PPK/S models were manufactured when the GCA wasn't even signed into law? If Walther hadn't had an ally like Sam Cummings, they probably would have slept through the emergence of the GCA. But with him, they were certainly well prepared. And a law as effective and indispensable as the GCA is, surely must have taken years to develop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like my PPK/a from about 1981 or so. A Ranger gun. It's accurate and has never jammed and in a LE school, allowed me to finish first in the class for reduced light targets. I prefer the PPK but only because they were hard to come by back then, I've never owned nor shot a PP, I wonder how they would be in .380.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Isn't it so that the first PPK/S models were manufactured when the GCA wasn't even signed into law? If Walther hadn't had an ally like Sam Cummings, they probably would have slept through the emergence of the GCA. But with him, they were certainly well prepared. And a law as effective and indispensable as the GCA is, surely must have taken years to develop.
Reference materials suggest the PPK/S was developed in response to GCA68, whether it came into being after passage or during legislative consideration of new laws. Work on new gun control, though passed shortly after the assassinations of MLK and RFK in 1968, had begun in 1963 following the JFK assassination and again in 1965. I would not be surprised if something like the PPK/S was in the works before GCA68 was passed. Anyone paying attention must have had some idea of what was to come.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think S&W gave the P-series a bad name. Or so it seems. I'm glad to hear the current pistols have excellent reviews and quality is back.

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
... And a law as effective and indispensable as the GCA is, surely must have taken years to develop.
My snark detector is in the shop again, so I'm not sure. Balog, you were being ironic?
GCA's restrictions on size were aided and abetted by S&W and Colt, in an effort to block the import of small defensive guns. These were competition for the Smith J frame and Colt Dick Special.
And GCA 68 has proved to have as much actual impact on crime as any other gun control law.
Moon

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Super Moderator
2,418 Posts
My snark detector is in the shop again, so I'm not sure. Balog, you were being ironic?
GCA's restrictions on size were aided and abetted by S&W and Colt, in an effort to block the import of small defensive guns. These were competition for the Smith J frame and Colt Dick Special.
And GCA 68 has proved to have as much actual impact on crime as any other gun control law.
Moon
I'm pretty sure he meant that comment as irony. I took it that way at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts