Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really noticed it much, mostly because I never shot it with DA the first round. I always insert a mag, then rack the slide. Anyway, practicing with trigger I discovered that when I take the weapon off safe and squeeze the trigger in DA mode, the trigger goes halfway with the normal DA weight, then it hangs up and an additional, rather heavy pull, will complete the firing sequence. I don't have a way to accurately measure the trigger weight, just dead reckoning, but it is definately a lot heavier than I am sure it should be. It definately throws off my sight picture, just dry firing at the light switch on my wall. Now here's the catch, if I take the weapon off safe, and then thumb back the hammer and ease it forward again with the trigger, and try DA again and there is no hang up, just a normal pull until it releases. I still am confused on how the entire safety mechansism works, I haven't fully detail stripped it yet. I suspect it might be a small burr in the mechanism it is hangin up on, it might just go away with time, but I would like to fix it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts at all? Maybe someone could direct me too a website with instructions to fully dissassemble my weapon so that I could figure it out?

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Yours is an interesting problem....

Sounds as if the culprit could be the "hammer release" in the frame. This part sits on the left side of the hammer and trips the sear when you lower the safety.

If this has a burr or is hanging up, it could be interfering with the frame mounted cocking piece and causing the "hitch" in your DA pull.

I would unload the piece and field strip the pistol and make sure the "hammer release" moves freely next to the hammer. A very small drop of break free might help. If all seems well then I would reassemble and try the drill again and see if there is any improvement.

If its been a while (or never ) since you cleaned the frame, while the pistol is field stripped, flush the area around the hammer with "gun scrubber" then a drop of lube and reassemble.Take the grips off for this as gunscrubber can be tough on plastic!

I would do the same with the safety in the slide, make sure it rotates freely. I would strongly advise against any further disassembly, since it's unlikely to be more revealing than a visual check.

If after all this cleaning regime, the pistol still doesn't fuction normally - get it to a 'smith or Smith & Wesson. Walthers are pretty straight forward pistols, easy to fix - but be sure to preserve your lifetime warrenty, and if a smith can't spot the trouble at a glance - off to the factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts