Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for anyone who has replaced a barrel on a PPK/s. Taking the barrel out was easy tapping it out. To put in the new barrel seem it is to tight. Even putting the old barrel back in is just as tight.
Any info will help.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
You should let a gunsmith do this....
It is done with a press to make for a propper fit.....

Just what I know... maybe somebody else will know more

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked Walther if there was a tool for this and they told me no. I think your right, only an arbor press or something like it will get the compression fit needed to get a barrel back in. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would contact a few gunsmiths in your area... they should have the tools needed... the PP series isn't the only one with a fixed barrel....
If you can't find any....I think that the Smiths at http://makarov.com/ would be the cheapest option if you have to send it someplace.... I never dealt with them but the people who have Maks are happy with them.... so if all fails you got them or if it is a early Walther (not S&W) I would think Earl would be the last stop......

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I easily tapped my barrel in from the breach side using a rawhide mallet, but you must make sure you stay lined up, if not tap it out and start again. Yours may be tighter than mine though, they all vary. If it doesn't feel right, head for the gunsmith.

What do you have, German, Gadsen(AL) or S&W?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I easily tapped my barrel in from the breach side using a rawhide mallet, but you must make sure you stay lined up, if not tap it out and start again. Yours may be tighter than mine though, they all vary. If it doesn't feel right, head for the gunsmith.

What do you have, German, Gadsen(AL) or S&W?
I have a Walther Made in USA Interarms, Alexandria Virginia. I also ordered a Federal ballel replacement tool. I will give that a try. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got back from Iraq about five months ago and decided to take my Nephew out shooting. The most logical choice for him was my walther ppk .32 which I have had for over four years. After teaching him the basics, he fired the pistol and it made a strange sound, shot sparks out through the slide, and whiffed a puff of smoke. Darnedest thing. It scared him silly, being his first time. I field stripped the pistol and the barrel had split. I was using remington ammo from walmart. So, I sent it back to "walther" now owned by S&W. They sent it back with the attached letter. Photos are included. What should I do? I will never by another walther if this is the way they treat customers who invest in a supoosed "quality weapon."

http://home.comcast.net/~rattler6/waltherppkjunk.html

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
jballz
I can't fully read the letter...so I want to make sure I am getting this right

You had a PPK from Interarms and sent it to Waltherusa(S&W) and they told you sorry and sent you to Earl's repair service ???

Is that what this letter says ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, they sent me a letter with Big Earl's address. The gunsmith that I buy all my firearms from (except for those from the gun shows) looked at it and was disgusted. I really don't know what to do. I really just want to get another barrel (if possible) and sell the gun. I am disgusted at this point.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
What should I do? I will never by another walther if this is the way they treat customers who invest in a supoosed "quality weapon."

Well jballz,
I have not had coffee and it's way early but maybe I can find you help .....
First .... don't judge Walther by how S&W is treating you or your PPK/S that was not made by Walther or S&W.....I understand it says Walther LLC on the slide but this is a Interarms leftover PPK/S and is not made by S&W or Walther in Germany.... they wouldn't even have parts for it... when Interarms/Walther LLC and Walther USA went under their inventory was sold off.....
I just a few weeks ago won a auction on ebay for something that is leftover from Interarms...
anyhow.... I know lugerdoc bought a lot of that stuff....
Earl's wouldn't be able to help since his parts are all German made and not from Interarms.....not sure why your gunsmith was so upset about this.. but when it comes to Walther's, Earls is the man to go... though he might not do it free of charge.
So you can look on the P38forum.com for "lugerdoc" or Tom Heller from Missouri or hellerarms...I don't have his info or I would not send you looking for it on another site.....
or you can blame S&W and Walther for a product that was not made by either of them but was a product of a company that was just trying to make things easier after the 1968 GCA... it should say on your slide "made under license"....

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
many people don't know.....
in 1968 a lot of things changed.... Walther was no longer able to import the PPK since it did not have enough points.... hence the PPK/S that was made just for the american merket.... PP frame and PPK slide.....
Interarms did the importing of those... then Interarms had the PPK and the PPK/S made through a third party out of Alabama.... that's why they are marked "made in USA"
interarms went under and Carl Walther USA LLC came about... that didn't work out and for another year they tried it as Walther USA LLC...that didn't work out neither.... the later 2 had used Interarms parts for the PPK and PPK/S.
Well after all that Walther and S&W came to a contract what is called the "strategic alliance" and S&W got a license to make the PPK/S and PPK.....

So anything that is not marked S&W was not made by them.
Earl's is a great place but I doubt he has parts for Interarms PPK/S and PPK.. but worth a try anyways....
Anyhow S&W does not even have parts for those Interarms produced PPK and PPK/S's
Anyhow.... there is a bit more to it but I don't want to go in too much detail ....
if you need help finding lugerdoc on the P38forum let me know....
it is posted some place here too but I can't recall what post it was....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Why wouldn't all parts be interchangeable in like models of PPKs no matter who makes them? Aren't they made to the same specs? Aren't they the same gun? Sure, Smith does the extended tang. But isn't it otherwise the same PPK Walther has been making for years?

S

·
0 Posts
Just to say amen to uncut, I went to Earl's when I first decided to by a PPK. I wanted a German made and Earl filled me in on some of what uncut had to say. At times, a sad tale.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey banddr2. Can you give me some direction in becoming a Supporting Member? I can't seem to find my way. Thanks. PS, my PPK is pre-ban.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hey banddr2. Can you give me some direction in becoming a Supporting Member? I can't seem to find my way. Thanks. PS, my PPK is pre-ban.
Go to User CP in upper left corner, and on lower left side select paid subscription and click on the down arrow and select $10. You should be able to get it from there.

Zenner22,
Uncut is all correct except you have a PPK not a PPK/S. When looking for barrels that distinction is very important because the pin channels are in different places. I am surprised S&W didn't go ahead and put a new barrel in even though it was not their original mfg, but made from left over Gadsden,AL parts. For the barrel to split like that there must of been a squib round in there and the next one split it. I would think any mfg ppk .32 barrel would work, especially if your gunsmith helped you with it if it needed minor fitting. I am still surprised S&W didn't at least offer to put a new barrel in and charge you a $100 or something. I think Tom Heller may only have German barrels, which only come in blued, and you want a stainless one, but I could be wrong, no harm in giving him a call. S&W is the only place making stainless 32 barrels unless you get lucky and find one on ebay or gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Well jballz,
I have not had coffee and it's way early but maybe I can find you help .....
Zenner22,
Uncut is all correct except you have a PPK not a PPK/S.
:eek: :eek:
Like I said no coffe and way early.....
I think I would know the difference from PPK and PPK/S which shows in my previous posts I hope :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Sorry Uncut, I understand the cafeen need and I know you know your Walthers. Just wanted to make sure he knew there was a difference in barrels if he started searching for one. Don't you think a S&W PPK 32 barrel would work in a GadsdenAL frame? I saw his letter also and couldn't read it, but I thought S&W would of offered to replace the barrel for a fee, unles he was demanding they fix it under warranty. But I suspect from the pictures this was an ammunition malfunction since the barrel is cracked on both sides, not a warrenty issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts