Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Because there are always people who are not aware of the difference between a .22 Walther PPK/S and a Walther PPK/S .22, you always have to look carefully at the offers. Fortunately, all magazines for the Walther PPK/S .22 can be easily identified so far. They are marked with the P/N 503.600. Such magazines can't be used in your PPK/S.
The .22lr magazines offered by GunMagWarehouse are exactly the ones I was speaking of. They're magazines for the PPK/S .22 as indicated correctly on their web shop. They won't work in a .22 PPK/S.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just looked on the GunMagWarehouse website and the only PPK/S .22 LR magazine they have is for the Umarex/Arnsberg model. These will not work in your vintage pistol.

Sorry to hear this--I guess I'll have to send it back and keep looking. The two aftermarket magazines that came with my recent purchase are problematic. Filling them with more than 6 rounds causes failure to feeds. I'm wondering if shortening the magazine spring might cure the problem. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
The two aftermarket magazines that came with my recent purchase are problematic. Filling them with more than 6 rounds causes failure to feeds.
It's hard to rell from your picture but I still think you may have OEM magazines. They don't look like any of the aftermarket ones that I've seen.

I'm wondering if shortening the magazine spring might cure the problem. Any thoughts?
This is what I would do.

Disassemble and clean both magazines. Get a brush in there and scrub them out. Inspect the inside of the tube and the follower for burrs and nicks. I've seen people polish their followers to a mirror finish. That might help. Inspect the feed lips for distortion. If they're bent you can try to straighten them out but usually they're a lost cause by that point.

Leave the springs alone. Either they're still good or they're not. I would replace them rather than trimming off coils.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's hard to rell from your picture but I still think you may have OEM magazines. They don't look like any of the aftermarket ones that I've seen.

This is what I would do.

Disassemble and clean both magazines. Get a brush in there and scrub them out. Inspect the inside of the tube and the follower for burrs and nicks. I've seen people polish their followers to a mirror finish. That might help. Inspect the feed lips for distortion. If they're bent you can try to straighten them out but usually they're a lost cause by that point.

Leave the springs alone. Either they're still good or they're not. I would replace them rather than trimming off coils.
Okay. I took them apart and cleaned them but I'll go through the process once more just to be sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
7,547 Posts
Where is M1911-1917 when we need him? He's our resident magazine guru, tho' Redcat's suggestions sound reasonable.
Moon

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
...and they'll cost an arm and the better part of a leg...
But it might be difficult to find a similarly good quality elsewhere within a reasonable time. The costs for a magazine in mint condition are probably in the three-digit range everywhere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
But it might be difficult to find a similarly good quality elsewhere within a reasonable time. The costs for a magazine in mint condition are probably in the three-digit range everywhere.
Just received the magazine--you are correct--it is not compatible with my PP Interarms version. Back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
40 Posts
On a similar note, I am bidding on a 1964 PP in .22lr. It comes with one magazine so while waiting for the auction to end (which I will probably lose) I started searching for extra magazines. Not much luck unless I pay almost $200 per mag. Posts in this thread suggest that some PPK/S .22lr mags are comparable with the PP while some are Not. Although English is my first (and only) language it’s frustrating to try and figure out which PPK/S mag will work in a PP. So there is my first issue: which .22 mags will work in PP?Second, if mags for the PP cannot be acquired then I would be foolish to continue bidding on this gun.
So, O wise ones, what should I do? A semi-auto pistol is pretty useless without magazines. I somehow think I need at least two, although at my age and slow speed a single magazine might get me through an afternoon at the range. Thank you in advance for your guidance. Lofton

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
On a similar note, I am bidding on a 1964 PP in .22lr. It comes with one magazine...
Lofton,
I can tell you from my recent experience that the Walther PPK/S 22 LR magazine (Walther number 503-600) is not compatible with my Walther PP 22 LR, serial number 49306LR. For me, I won't pay the ridiculous price of $200 for a magazine. I realize it's a free country and this is the way capitalism works--supply/demand etc. But since it's a free country I'm free to exercise my option of not paying that kind of freight. I'm going to make-do with my two ten-round magazines that presently function reasonably well using only seven rounds. Good luck on winning the auction. As long as the magazine works well with 10 rounds you could have a winner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lofton,
I can tell you from my recent experience that the Walther PPK/S 22 LR magazine (Walther number 503-600) is not compatible with my Walther PP 22 LR, serial number 49306LR. For me, I won't pay the ridiculous price of $200 for a magazine. I realize it's a free country and this is the way capitalism works--supply/demand etc. But since it's a free country I'm free to exercise my option of not paying that kind of freight. I'm going to make-do with my two ten-round magazines that presently function reasonably well using only seven rounds. Good luck on winning the auction. As long as the magazine works well with 10 rounds you could have a winner.
The auction passed me by. It’s a very nice gun but I really don’t need it. I’ve only been shooting handguns for a few months and have a ways to go to become proficient. Perhaps in time I’ll revisit the matter. For now I have my PPK/S in .22lr, a .32 cal PP, and a Colt .38 Special Police. And ammunition for all of them. I’m a little bummed, though. I’ll get over it. Thanks for your response. Lofton

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
I'm going to make-do with my two ten-round magazines that presently function reasonably well using only seven rounds.
By the way, Walther specified the loading capacity for the PP .22lr magazine as 10 rounds in the manual originally but as only 8 rounds from the mid-1960s onwards. This was probably Walther's reaction to the fact that regular feed malfunctions occur when loading more than 8 rounds.

A compatible PP magazine made by TripleK is available cheaply. But it is also somehow cheaply made. I had two of them; one could be inserted with force only, the other one rattled constantly. Because I'd never used them for shooting, I can't even say up to what capacity they would have worked.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
if mags for the PP cannot be acquired then I would be foolish to continue bidding on this gun.
A semi-auto pistol is pretty useless without magazines. I somehow think I need at least two
Self defense pistol and rifle? I've got boxes and boxes of those boxes. But for old fun guns I don't let myself get too worried about it. More than one magazine is ideal but not neccessary for me to have a good time at the range punching paper and anyway after I get the gun I usually seem to stumble upon whatever spares that I think I need eventually.

Rare magazines for the pistols that I like to buy are often in the $100-200. I understand that that's a lot of money for such a small item but compared to the price of the firearm, buyers premium, sales tax, shipping, transfer fee and all the ammo we plan to shoot up I don't believe it's excessive.

At least you don't collect Bren Tens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for all your insights. I don’t use my guns for personal protection…my face does an adequate job of that. I realize that I’ve got an expensive hobby but being retired and on a limited income I don’t want to wander into a place that prevents me from enjoying the things I own. Paying $200 for a magazine is not going to work for me. I like your optimism that something will come along and I think you’re right. I don’t want to take the chance. My .32 cal PP came with an original magazine and it was unreliable. I bought two new magazines (MecGar) which work fine. I wish they made them for the .22. The auction doesn’t end for a few days so maybe I’ll reengage. Maybe.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
You may give Triple K a try. I'm with Balogh, that the quality is questionable. But also read about pleased users of these mags on 'Board'.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
By the way, Walther specified the loading capacity for the PP .22lr magazine as 10 rounds in the manual originally but as only 8 rounds from the mid-1960s onwards...
Well this is good to know...so maybe there isn't a problem with the magazines after all...thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Do not 'overload', means do not use the full capacity of your mags at first. Some mags have problems to handle full capacity. Try yourself what's about your mags.
Nothing to add... ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I downloaded a copy of the Walther Interarms manual that confirms the 8-round magazine capacity. Sorry, the above link doesn't work...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts