Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have this combination who can advise how it works? I found one video where the guy was having problems with Aquila standard ammo. He blamed the problem with the PPK/S on the lack of back pressure with the Aviator 2. Unfortunately, he did not try any other ammo, so there is still concern regarding this gun/silencer combination. This is the video....

·
Registered
187 Posts
With or without a suppressor, like many (perhaps most) .22 LR semi-autos...*** AMMO MATTERS ***....high velocity (1,200+ FPS) is required. CCI Mini Mags (40 gr.solid or 36 gr. hollow point) are the very best and work almost flawlessly. Remington Golden Bullets (40 gr. solid or 36 gr. hollow point) Aquilla Super Extra High Velocity all work almost as well. Winchester high velocity .22 have a 'spotty' record. Various Federal 'bulk pack' ammos are horrible.

The most common failures with '..standard..' velocity .22 ammo are Failures-to-Eject completely...turning the PPK/S (and many other .22 semi-autos) into a 'single shot' pistol. Ya' just can't use any ole' ammo on the shelf.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's worth noting that many shooters will choose a .22 semi-auto as an inexpensive '..plinker..' because .22 LR ammo is relatively cheap. I was at the range a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy there with a Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22 that he'd picked up cheap from a buddy...along with a partial 'bulk pack' of Federal that came with the pistol. He was trying to put the bulk pack ammo through the pistol . As you might expect, there was little in the way of '..semi-auto..' about it. He would fire, clear the spent casing from the chamber, rack in a new round, fire...repeat. He wasn't a happy camper and was complaining that he's bought a '..lemon..'.

I had a few boxes of CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden bullets in my range bag and loaded a couple of my own PPK/S mags and asked him to try 'em. All of a sudden his PPK/S was firing, ejecting and feeding as advertised....and he was havin' FUN !! CCI Mini Mags now runs about $7-$8 or so per 100 rd. box in our region. His 'bulk pack' ran about $3-$4 per 100. The difference was that his cheaper $3-$4/100 bulk pack was pretty much only good in a revolver (which the PPK/S ain't)...or as a door stop.

I think I can guess why his buddy let the PPK/S .22 go so cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts