Walther Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
When I was trying (unsuccessfully for a variety of reasons) to work up a defensive load for the .380 PPK, I'd end up test hopping a hundred rounds of what had previously seemed to work okay with a trial 20 rounds.
At the end of the hundred (usually with a couple misfeeds), I'd had all the damned fun I cared to have. No slide bite, but there's just a 'sting ' to this piece, especially with warmer loads.
Love the pistol, but love it a lot more as a .32.
Use the bike glove.
Moon

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a strip of 'moleskin' on the area that gets bloody. I shoot often and have a small mark where I've worn thru the skin many many times. I would argue that mine isn't slide bite, but the edge of that too short beavertail. When I hold my weapon that edge/corner is exactly where my hand bleeds. The moleskin comes in a sheet about 3" x 5". I cut 5/8" x 3" strips and put one on just before I shoot the PPK/S. It seems to provide just the right cushioning and without the cumbersome glove. It doesn't seem to effect my grip, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Slide Bite .380

I have a PPK (IA). Used to get bit, but not much anymore. Must be holding it better. Still hurts after not many rounds.

Bought Mechanix gloves at the AutoZone. Cut the trigger finger off at the 1st knuckle. Big help. Now can go 100 rounds in relative comfort.

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
Bob, that or the bike glove (no fingers at all) makes a fix.
Moon

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know what you mean, due to age and medication I'll bleed from a dirty look!
When I first started shooting my 79 colt 1911 it looked like I was getting bitten by a snake, I would put band aids on before I shot for protection, it was from the tang/safety not from any bite, I built up some Clalas and may have adjust the grip ( not intentionally) but I no longer bleed from shooting it.
I just picked up a 71 ppks 32, seems like the tang is a little different from the newer interarms 380 and I have more clearance, I haven't shot a 380 yet but held it in my hand and could see that I would need to be really really careful.
The old 32 is great, no bite,no marks, and very nice to shoot.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Solution to slide bite

For those who are interested, this gentleman on ebay makes attachable beaver tails to help combat slide bite. If the link does not work go to ebay and type in:

"Walther PPK/S BEAVER TAiL STOPS SLIDE BITE !!!!!!!!"

Walther PPK s Beaver Tail Stops Slide Bite | eBay

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Interesting, though with the proper grip and appropriate attention to detail, it looks to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist ... unless, of course, you have monster-sized hands, in which case you should probably opt for a different pistol anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
Nothing makes a flinch like a gun that hurts you at every shot. The .380 is rappy in the PP platform; it's a day at the beach in a locked breech .380.
Moon

·
Registered
505 Posts
I never had "slide bite" so I'm really not exactly sure what it is, If your hand is in the way of the slide, and it hits or rubs your hand, then your hand is not in the right place. If the recoil of the .380, chambered in a pistol designed for .32, is causing it to move and rub in your hand, then you are not holding the gun tight enough. Do you guys that get bit, also experience that with a ,32?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

New member here. I have a Interarms PPK/S .380, which I love. I am very accurate with it, and don't mind the recoil/bite, but do mind the blood on my hand and gun after about 30 rounds. When going to the range, I started shooting it as the last of my guns, so I don't get blood on my other guns. I read the suggestion on the forum of using a glove to solve this problem, which I may try. I'm wondering if I'll build up a callus so this won't be a problem. I usually shoot once a week, and am starting to see a callus build up. Wish me luck.
I have the same issue with my PPK/S Interarms. After owning my Walther PPK/S for now about 20 years, every time I go to the range I end up with slide bite on my strong hand. I use a good grip, but no matter how I hold the gun it still bites me. Another issue I have is the trigger well is very sharp on the machine cut. I'd like to get it smoothed out (fine filling) but unsure if I should do it myself, or take it to a gunsmith. I contacted a Walther consumer rep about it some time ago but he didn't want to address the manufacturing flaw. I love the small gun for concealed carry purposes, but not pleased with the lack of interest in resolving the very sharp edges on the finger well. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Hello,

New member here. I have a Interarms PPK/S .380, which I love. I am very accurate with it, and don't mind the recoil/bite, but do mind the blood on my hand and gun after about 30 rounds. When going to the range, I started shooting it as the last of my guns, so I don't get blood on my other guns. I read the suggestion on the forum of using a glove to solve this problem, which I may try. I'm wondering if I'll build up a callus so this won't be a problem. I usually shoot once a week, and am starting to see a callus build up. Wish me luck.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts