Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weapon is a PPK/S 22lr as pictured below...sort of. About the gun. It is a PPK/S 22lr bearing the normal Ulm proof-marks. From the verbiage on the frame, this weapon was built in 1978 (HI). It is a matte nickel finished gun and I truly believe it was either plated by Interarms, or where it was born. I can see no reason for someone to invest in a plating job as lightly coated as this pistol is. It is my understanding that Interarms applied a "light" plating on some of these little guns...and I think that is what I have and not a re-plate. As far as durability....it has none. The gun is already showing signs of wear, especially in the magazine-well and areas along the frame-rails and slide. Other than that, the finish is very good. I did not seek to purchase the gun as a collector piece. It is beyond that and missing the box, papers and a spare magazine as well. I purchased it as a shooter and to compliment my 380 and 32. The cost was in-the-range of what one would see in asking prices for a blued gun. I have not seen anyone with another nickel-plated gun for sale, so I can't suggest anything concerning potential prices. This is a used gun and that's that.

Down to the shooting. I reached in my ammo bin and grabbed a handful of mixed Remington bulk. Some in HP and some RN. I pumped some 40-50 rounds through it and had one FTFire. The primer was well struck and I chalk that off to a bulk-dud. My neighbor is a much better shot than I am and he hit a spot carved on a beach tree with his knife the size of a quarter at 7-steps. Unfortunately...I can only get close to that spot. The gun is a pretty darn accurate shooter and I cannot decide how much better-or-worse it may be than my TPH. I like the TPH sights better as they have red dots. This PPK/S has black dots fore and aft.

The 22 is slightly lighter (maybe 30 grams) than either of my larger caliber PPK/S's and it is hardly noticeable in the back jeans-pocket. ALL-n-all...I rate it as an equal to the TPH and it "feels" a little bit better in your hand, more like a real gun. I passed some 100-rounds through it and only had the one aforementioned dud...so I am well pleased.

A magazine note: Don't bother with a TripleK magazine for this gun. I took a chance and obtained a couple from Numrich Arms and they turned out to be TripleK. Not packaged as such, but had the funky little upturned finger-rest. AND...they do not work out-of-the-package. They have to be "adjusted". I sent them back as I do not want to adjust any magazines after I paid retail for them. I'd say hold-out, or bite-the-bullet for an authentic Walther magazine.

Had a great time. The little gun ran like a Swiss watch with no other malfunctions than the one dud mentioned above. Good little shooter....go get you one!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Autonut: My PPK/S .22LR was my favorite plinker, until I lost my place to plink. I do not think Walther or Interarms offered matte nickel finishes. This finish is aftermarket. Enjoy your PPK/S as it obviously shoots well.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could be right, but I think the jury is still out. I don't know if any Walther expert can safely say what Interarms may have done. I know knowledgeable people have stated some guns were plated in a brushed chrome or a NiVel...maybe not a matte finish. Whoever plated this gun went to a great deal of trouble not to obliterate any of the proof-marks or verbiage. Everything is just as crisp as you would see on a blued gun. It has a very light coating of whatever it has applied to it.

In the long run, it doesn't matter to me. I bought the gun knowing it could be a pig-in-a-poke and was only looking for a shooter and not a collectable safe-queen. If I ever confirm it has an aftermarket plating job on it, I would likely have it duracoated and use it for it's intended purpose. It's not showing any signs of rust or pitting and I plan to leave it like it is until it does...if it does.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congratulations on your purhase. My sentiments on 3k are the same as yours. Mine is similar to yours, but with a straight blue finish. Seems to like ammo with more than normal power. CCI's are always a good choice.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like to start-out with the cheap-crap on blow-back pistols. I figure if it will shoot the bulk ammo, it ought to luv the better stuff. Why beat the slide against the buffer if all you are doing is having fun.

I would rather have had a blued gun, actually a stainless, but they never made one of these in stainless. The seller and I finally came to the conclusion that it was unlikely we could ever document this gun. I stretched a little and he met me from the other direction enough to make a deal. I could have possibly bought a better blued gun off GB or GA, but not for the price I paid for this one. Since I bought this gun, I have seen one on GA listed for $699, but the norm has been $850 and the-sky-is-the-limit above that. If it's an aftermarket plate, I will not be bothered by having it refinished one day. I have a good friend that is in the hot-process Duracoat business and he does wonderful work. I've seen Beretta's, Colt's and Smith's that are out-of-this world. This one may be a candidate for a high-tech. finish-job one day.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I do not think Walther or Interarms offered matte nickel finishes. This finish is aftermarket. Enjoy your PPK/S as it obviously shoots well.
Actually, Interarms did offer a proprietary flat nickel finish called NiVel on their German Walther imports. Interarms described the Model PPK/S NiVel as having, "...a subtle matte-finish process of electroless nickel plating for all-weather service."
The same type of E-Nickel finish was also applied to Star pistols under the brand name Starvel.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Milspec. Nothing like a mystery to make a gun deal more interesting. From the looks of this gun, I think it just has to have been initially plated in-the-raw. I've seen (and owned) aftermarket nickel-plated guns before and I think this gun was plated when it was born...I just can't believe otherwise. The good thing is that it doesn't matter to me a twit.

If somebody did fall from the sky willing to empty the cash register to get it....you bet I would be thrilled, but I am not banking on that and was not when I made the purchase.

·
Registered
621 Posts
In the early 1970's Walther did make the PPK/S in .22lr in silver
engraved finish, the engraving is oak leaves, a popular engraving
style in Europe. The finish appears to be very duarable. The
finish is not frosted as your PPK/S.

The best way to tell if its factory or not is to look a the markings
on the slide to see if they are crisp and clean.

As for magazine I own a few PPK, PPK/L, and PP / PPK/s pistols
in .22 lr. Always use factory magazines. They are not cheap
but they are well worth it and will last a life time.

My oldest PPK in .22 lr was made in 1936 time frame and its original
magazine still functions perfectly even though the pistol and magazine
are 76 years old..

For factory new PPK/S magazines in .22 lr, Earls Repair Service has them.
Earl is an authorized Walther Represenative, and not associated
with the Smith and Wesson Walther contract.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Earl has some of my money as we speak for a magazine. The proof-marks are all VERY crisp and clean. That is what leads me to believe it left the factory this way and the coating is very thin. All the edges and corners of the gun that are suppose to be sharp....are sharp. I see no evidence of grinding, polishing, or buildup anywhere on this gun. If I were going to have a gun plated, I would have had it triple-plated (just a term used for a heavier coating).

This may-or-may-not be another clue. I have looked at several pictures of "genuine German magazines" for sale and some of them DO NOT have the Walther, TM or caliber stamped into the side of the mag. The mag I do have for this pistol DOES NOT have any engraving. I don't know if that means it could be aftermarket....or genuine German. Somebody can give their thoughts on that, but I have seen older magazines not trademarked.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Most Walther .22 lr magazines were not marked
"Walther". However Manhurin made PPK pistol
their magazines were marked I believe, "made in France".

As far a I know Earls Repair Service only sells genuine
Walther magazines.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good information! I was just curious to know if this mag I had that came with the gun was genuine. It's plated just like the gun, so it was plated when the gun was. I have seen two on GB that had the old-style finger-rest and did not have the trademark at the base of the mag.

The TPH 22 mags are marked, but that's another animal.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Good information! I was just curious to know if this mag I had that came with the gun was genuine. It's plated just like the gun, so it was plated when the gun was. I have seen two on GB that had the old-style finger-rest and did not have the trademark at the base of the mag.

The TPH 22 mags are marked, but that's another animal.
I have three .380 PPK/S' and one .22 German PP all with unmarked original magazines. I'd guess your mag is correct.
We had a thread a few years back with photos of a matte nickel PPK/S and a blue NiVel sticker on the box. I'll see if I can find it. If the finish matches yours the mystery is solved... :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be very helpful and maybe solve the mystery and remove any doubts about what we're looking at here. If it turns out to be NiVel....I may have to keep it in the safe and go find me another one to shoot.:D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That is precisely what I have, but mine has the target grips and is not marked as "under contract" and it is Ulm proofed. I see that one has 3 days plus to run. It will be interesting to see how it sells.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Understand your point Mike, but some of us gun-nuts can be extremely curious about what we find under a rock. In the long run, it won't matter if it's plated, painted, blued, or in the raw if one plans to shoot it. It's always fun to talk about a new find....that's the way some of us become educated. I learn stuff every time I fire-up the forum and maybe...just maybe somebody else will learn something too.

·
Registered
713 Posts
autonut,
Sounds like a very cool gun you have there. I might have to keep my eyes open for one. It would be nice to shoot cheaper rounds and still have the same feel as my EDC. Speaking of rounds, how many rounds does your .22 PPK/S hold?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts