Walther Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
P.S....

In the event that it has escaped notice...this thread was begun nearly FOUR(4) years ago, in April **2016**.

It's now January 2020 and the UMAREX/WALTHER PPK/S .22 is STILL in production.
It's probably better to say that the PPK/S .22 currently is in production again. Production was discontinued in 2014 and resumed three years later. There are no 2015 (BF) and 2016 (BG) models.

At the beginning of 2016 I was convinced that the production would continue in the U.S. (https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppk-s-22lr-new-production-umarex-2013-later/47128-product-page-listing-ppk-s-22lr-has-vanished-carl-walther-de.html#post470685). I was wrong obviously. But I wouldn't be too surprised if it will happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not sure that "..discontinued.." applies. UMAREX/WALTHER simply produced a sufficient number of PPK/S .22 pistols for inventory to fill existing and future demand and then re-tooled for other production. They retooled and resumed production when demand ran down that PPK/S .22 inventory.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don’t know about complete units but I can verify they made slides in the year BG. I had an issue with the slide on my BD made unit and sent it in for repair. What I got back was my BD frame and a brand new BG slide.

If this thing wears out I’ll get another.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
I'm not sure that "..discontinued.." applies. UMAREX/WALTHER simply produced a sufficient number of PPK/S .22 pistols for inventory to fill existing and future demand and then re-tooled for other production.
And what might be the explanation why Walther removed the black version of the PPK/S .22 first and some weeks later the silver version too from their catalogue? On the German website they didn't reappeared since then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
After re-reading this thread last week, I had my 2013 UMAREX/Walther PPK/S .22 out at the range again today (haven't had it out in a couple of months...though I've put 10-15,000 rounds through it since 2013) I put 200 rounds through it during this range session (100 rds. CCI Mini Mag 36gr HP and 100 rds. Remington Golden Bullet 36 gr. HP---both high velocity 1,200+). The pistol shot well to POA (only modification to the pistol are a white painted front sight and two fine white vertical lines in the rear sight aperture) with the un-adjusted factory sights.The pistol performed flawlessly (my marksmanship not always so flawless). NO Failures to Feed, Fire or Eject (with 5 different mags).

I was only shooting from 10 yards of so (SA only) and shot nice, tight, 10 round groupings (with the occasional 'flyer'...though a couple of groupings were low/left...probably due to my shooting mechanics). In any event, the corrugated cardboard backing behind the 3" rings on my targets were fairly well shredded. Not a bad day (pretty damned good for me)....most certainly not a bad little pistol for what it is...and what it was intended for.

Over the years, several other shooters have fired my PPK/S .22 and been pleased with and surprised by it and how well it shoots (though NONE have ever waxed rhapsodic about its DA trigger pull). For the most part the pistol shoots where it's pointed when you pull the trigger and the hammer drops on the firing pin. Not sure what more you can ask of a pistol (??) Do I wish it was a richly, rust-blued, all-steel PP or PPK of old
in '..Like New..' condition ??...for $400 ??...Who wouldn't ?? I'd also like a 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless at Eisenhower-era prices as well.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have some issues with my 2013 PPK/S in 22 most due to ammo not up to the task, and some ammo failures that caused the extractor to blow out. Walther quickly repaired all for nothing including a new slide. This past week I gave it a good scrubbing as I did it’s big brother a S&W PPK and took them to the range. Performed flawlessly. If I find a good price on a nickel one I may get one. Good ammo, good cleaning, good attitude, good results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the PPK/S 22LR in Black for $229, this month, and really like this pistol. The Nickel was out of stock. Glad they haven't been discontinued yet ( other than the spare magazines appear to be discontinued...:) )

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
If I remember correctly...back when this pistol was introduced you couldn't purchase any .22 ammo anywhere anyway. Not even at Walleyworld. Hope all the hoarders choked on it. I shot one of these pistols a few times, it functioned well with exception of the DA pull but who shoots in DA anyway unless you have to. If I were to purchase one I would want the black one.

Am wondering if there are any wear issues between the zinc slide and zinc rails. $229 sounds about right also. 1917

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wish I had paid only $229 for mine a few years ago. It was a bit more. I bought the black at the time as the nickel ones were not available at either place I shop. After seeing one I’m glad I got the black. I may buy a second one.

As I mentioned previously mine is a Frankenstein gun now that it has a 2013 frame and a 2016 slide. I’ve attached a picture of the slide showing the one place there is some noticeable wear. I looked at the frame and other than a few areas where the paint is missing, no deep wear marks.

This after many thousands of rounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
A=0, B=1, C=2 and so on.

And just a helpful note. Posting the same question 3 times in less than a hour should be avoided.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Both I and J = 8 since they look so similar. H=7, K=9
Good to know. No wonder people get confused.. including me.

On edit, I saw this and seems that “I” is used for 8 by some, “J” is used by Sig. So if correct, there should not be Walther with a J???

Date Codes

The final markings are often most interesting to collectors. Almost every German firearm features a two-letter date code that indicates the gun’s birth year. For dating purposes, each letter corresponds to a specific number (0-9) and together, the two letters represent the final two digits of the production year. Heckler & Koch and Walther both use the same system, featuring an “I”, but no “J”. SIG Sauer’s system is exactly the opposite with a “J”, but no “I”. The association table can be found below, as can a photo of my 2006 production HK USP 9.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
Posting something multiple times is usually due to a time delay after submitting a post. You think....where the heck is my post? Then you submit it again only to sometimes see that the original did finally show up. I've done it myself. On the other hand if you try to repost it too quickly you should get a duplicate post notice stopping it from being posted again. I bet I've had to go back and kill 400 double posts. I also don't think you can delete a post anymore..all you can do is remove the text and note - Edit. 1917

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
AA began the 2000 year series and ended with AK in 2009
BA began the 2010 series and will end with BK in 2019
CA will begin the 2020 shooting irons, er...zinc.

As stated J isn't used. 1917

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well BJ is on my PPK/s 22lr( DE 3 crowns in shield BJ So I guess I have collectors piece to go with my 1965 PPK 22lr. Thanks for the info 1917

81 - 100 of 105 Posts