Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree Searcher. I appreciate the help that people here have given me and accept that there are always some people more helpful than others. I will shoot this pistol through a few more sessions and if it does not settle down, sell it. Only somewhat accurate and reliable self-defense firearms are interesting.

My rub with this pistol is only the design and materials. I am not a big fan of Zamac being used as pistol frames or for any structural purpose. For that reason, I have refused to buy a Colt Scout revolver for many years because of the bubbling finish associated with plating of Zamac frames.

This iteration of the PPK/S is pretty much useful mainly as a short range defensive weapon and as such, it has the cache of looks but not high accuracy and fully dependable function. It rates kind of like my ex-Kimber 1911's: pretty but not pretty dependable!

I have always been a fan of the old Walther PP pistols in .32 ACP. The two PP's which I owned were very accurate, despite small sights and functioned flawlessly with good ammo.

Conclusion: I would have paid the going rate for this pistol in .22LR with a steel slide and better functional attributes. I have cleaned mine and stashed it in the safe for future trade possibly? Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
does anyone have any knowledge on 22lr powder burn differences? and does that match up with the FTE problems seen in ppk/s 22lr ?
This would be some interesting information to read about. The site ByTheInch tracks a wide assortment of rimfire and centerfire round with regard to velocity and energy and from short to long barrels....pistol and rifle. I notice that many .22 rounds have almost the same velocity and energy specs when in fact there is no comparison at all out of short barrels. I tried to find out more about this from Federal. All I was able to get was some vague information regarding different powder and different primers with no explanation of where a manufacturer was trying to go regarding the manufacture of said ammo. Perhaps there needs to be a quick burn powder/primer for pistols and something else for rifles. Regardless of similar performance specs on the boxes.....shooting tells an entirely different story, especially in recoil and recoil is necessary to cycle full slide .22 pistols. M1911

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
This iteration of the PPK/S is pretty much useful mainly as a short range defensive weapon and as such, it has the cache of looks but not high accuracy and fully dependable function..
This iteration was never intended to be a defensive weapon. It is pure and simply a plinker designed to cash in on the aforementioned cache of the PPK series pistol. Obviously it was not very successful as it was discontinued rather quickly. If you ever laid hands on a "real" PP series .22 you would surely not relegate it to safe duty or trade bait. They are a true joy to shoot, possibly even better than the .32.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Many years ago, there was an indoor range/club in Manhattan that was very popular with various members/employees of the Israeli diplomatic missions. What was surprising was the number of these people who practiced with and carried .22 semi-auto pistols (a wide variety of makes & models...though the Walther PP .22LR and Beretta 70 .22LR seemed to be favourites) for 'personal protection'. .22 semi-auto pistols were small, easy to carry/conceal and...in the right hands...lethal.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've owned my PPK/S .22 for a few months now. This is my first pistol and admit freely that I chose it for it's connection to Bond stories and all I wanted was something to take to the range to shoot with my son. The fact that it can double as a self defense weapon is extra. The fact that it is Zamac, or not an original, or whatever is of no consequence. It is fun to shoot, seems to be quite accurate with the sites that came with it, and after some 2000 rounds through it seems well broken in.

I hope never to have to use it for self defense but I'd hate to be the guy who gets 10 high velocity HP's in the chest.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
members/employees of the Israeli diplomatic missions. What was surprising was the number of these people who practiced with and carried .22 semi-auto pistols
The Brits military carried PP .22's, off duty, in Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I personally think the .22 is underrated for self defense or its potential for putting a hurt on someone. I would not want to use it to stop a mother bear protecting her cubs, but a potential molester would stop what they are doing. Americans have an unusual fascination with size.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
I would not want to use it to stop a mother bear protecting her cubs . . .
Not so fast. Hear about the young lady who saved herself from a charging grizzly bear with nothing but her .22LR revolver?

She and her boyfriend were out hiking when the 800-pound grizzly broke through the brush headed at full charge straight for the two of them. The young lady stayed cool as a cucumber, though. She calmly unholstered the revolver as the bear bore down on them, cooly raised the revolver at arms length, took slow and careful aim, and with only seconds to spare she squeezed off only one shot into the boyfriends kneecap. After that she reholstered and casually strolled off in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The common .22 lr cartridge is probably the most under rated cartridge ever manufactured. For its small size it lethal capability go far beyond what it initial size would dictate. Even at 200 yards a .22 lr cartridge can still penetrate a human torso
with serious injury or lethal results.

Believe me there are many deer killed each year, illegally for the most part of course, with the little .22 lr cartridge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just returned from my LGS after pricing a new PPK/s in .22 cal and his price in nickel is around $400. I said I had to rationalize the price for an alloy pistol vs a steel pistol on the used market

He printed out the specs for the new pistol and the
weight shown was 24 oz
Frame Finish: Nickel
Frame Material: Stainless Steel
and the Slide description : Nickeled Steel

I am not sure whether he was on the Walther site or a distributor site so my question is since they are producing a Stainless .380 are they now producing a Stainless .22??:confused:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
They are not producing any PPK/S or PPK, at this time. However, the the frame and slide are made from a alloy not Stainless Steel with a nickel finish. The alloy .22LR PPK/S, mag empty wt is 20 oz vs the Stainless steel 380 PPK/S with mag empty 23.6oz, a 3.6 oz difference.

The print out was from when the PPK/S in .22LR was first released. Where the reporters did a poor job of researching the pistols and confused the S&W with the Walther version..

Most of those that purchased the new Walther PPK/S .22 have been very happy with it. This PPK/S still, like all Walthers, have a lifetime guarantee. Most of the the negative feelings came from when they released the 5" P22 that had a very thin slide that cracked and came apart. Since then the slide on the P22 has been thicken and this is no longer a problem. There has been no report of the PPK/S .22 having any frame or slide cracking or coming apart.

Less than 1% of new owners had any problems, didn't like it, or felt intimated from the Walther traditionalist that it was not a steel Walther. I have both the steel and alloy versions and have not had any problems, with over 4000 rds through both of them. However, if you feel you most have a steel version of this weapon. Then you can find the Walther/ Manurhin here:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=156_164&sort=2a&page=1&osCsid=70f1f842d9bd749f24595d23640ae7cf

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
For the record: I don't think that anyone who bought the new .22 version has been particularly happy with the initial trigger pull, which requires the strength of Hercules and/or Superman to pull.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
For the record: I don't think that anyone who bought the new .22 version has been particularly happy with the initial trigger pull, which requires the strength of Hercules and/or Superman to pull.
On the other hand, the herculean effort needed for the double-action pull on the new PPK/S certainly made me thankful for my old, German .22 PPK/S.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As much as I'd hate to say it because I love my PPK/S .22, I just can't justify the $400 pricetag when my LGS regularly has excellent .22 target pistols like the Ruger Mark II/III and Browning Buckmark for $250-$300.
Hell, even if you want a .22 pistol with a similar look/feel/style to the PPK/S, the Bersa Thunder and Firestorm in .22LR is a better deal at around $250, especially considering that it has a Steel Slide and Aluminum alloy frame vs the PPK/S .22's all ZAMAK construction.

It's a nice little replica of the PPK/S in .22LR which shoots great and feels great in the hand, but at $400 it just feels like Umarex was trying to cash in on the icon. It could have and should have been priced much cheaper.
I don't regret purchasing one myself, (especially since it made me want one in .380) but in hindsight I cannot help but feel like I overpaid.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Exactly. I wanted one too, because I was carrying a PPK/S in .380 quite often then and thought it would be a good trainer. But that 100 lb DA trigger and the way over-priced price tag put and end to that noise.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I for one was willing to pay a few extra bucks for a Walther PPK/s to satisfy my inner Bond. in my case less than 30 days from when I bought it the store dropped the price by $50. Oh well. Since moving to CCI and Golden Bullets I think I've had 3-4 FTE's in over 1,500 rounds. Still hates Federals.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've owned one but came on a steel PPK/s Nickel finish and snapped it up in a trade last summer. New alloy gun went to help finance the deal. Shot well, but wasn't the real deal.

do I still have the nickel one? Sadly not, it now resides in my better half's night stand

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Walther 5.6mm pistols are good for what they were designed for, a plinker. They are not for use in completion, unless everyone is using it. They are only good for defense if you empty the 10 rd mag center mass. Then you have 10 bullets bouncing around inside of the BG. They are bound to hit something vital. With a suppressor, they make a good hit man weapon in the back of the head.

I have own several Walther 5.6mm pistols. I have only kept two of them. My Manurhin PP, because is so beautifully finished and of course it is very dependable and accurate. My PPK/S alloy because it is very dependable, accurate.

I take out the PP once a year to shoot and clean it. I can just throw the alloy one in my range. Along with my Kadet and Sig conversion kits and go bounce cans at 25-80m. I also have a AR 15 conversion bolt and mags, a 10/22, and StG 44. That is seven pistols and three rifles that can use the 5.6mm rd, that's more an enough to go plinking.

As long as I continual to enjoy plinking with the PPK/S alloy. I will own it and when I tire of it I will sell or trade it off. I don't even notice the 17.5lb DA any more. However, I have hardly ever use it.

As far as a Bond thing, I have owned or do own enough PPKs that JB never entered into a purchase of a Walther.

I understand that Bond is dropping the PPK for the PPQ in the next Bond film. Since there may never be any new PPKs made, again. Will it be the paddle of the button release?

41 - 60 of 105 Posts