Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. I've got an old PP with a hole in the slide - don't ask - and was hoping that one of the new PPK/s slides would fit. Guess not.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Excellent. I was over at another forum trying to correct some misconceptions over at the Walther PP Facebook page about the Umarex-made PPK/S and I got slammed by Yamil R. Sued who had absolutely no idea what he was talking about on these things (because he's an "Expert" with over twenty years in the gun industry and a book author, and I'm a know-nothing — as are all of you here on this forum, according to him).

I decided to exit that unmoderated Facebook page because, sure enough, "unmoderated" really means "welcome all trolls," and that kind of rudeness I just don't need when I'm trying to help somebody (besides, this is the best moderated forum on the entire web, as far as I can tell).

Anyway, I'm going to definitely remember this thread, Tanfoglio, and link to it the next time I run into a gun-industry "expert" who says these things are made by Walther, and that Umarex isn't even in the manufacturing business.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Tanfo:

Your judgment is requested. What material is used in:

1) The slide (not the insert block)?

2) The insert block?

3) The frame?

4) The trigger guard?

M

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wow, quality vs junk IMO. Thanks for posting the differences Tanfoglio.

Reactions: irishcop

·
WALTHER KING
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike i think it is all aluminum alloy
the Frame is full alloy in order to achieve the weight from a real WALTHER
as I have taken them for the first time in hand I thought it was a metal soft-air

·
Registered
422 Posts
The note I got back from Walther USA's marketing folks said that the frame and slide were a zinc aluminum alloy similar to Zemak from the 50's and 60's but stronger.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Remarkable !

About the only thing is the external appearance.

Why redesign the innards ?

If countries from the Balkans to China could duplicate a PP series pistol 60+ years ago, ...

... why can't Umarex ?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I wish I still had my old PEZ dispenser PPK, I think it compared favorably to the new Umarex version.

The PEZ shooter wasn't very accurate, but tasty.

I'm sorry Tanfoglio you had to buy a Umarex to make the comparison, many thanks though!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm sorry Tanfoglio you had to buy a Umarex to make the comparison, many thanks though!
Tanfoglio is a collector of Walther guns, good or bad. This is likely just another to add to his collection. The sad thing is that it is probable that he paid a substantially higher premium for this weapon than he did for some of his pre-war beauties...

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Mike i think it is all aluminum alloy
the Frame is full alloy in order to achieve the weight from a real WALTHER
as I have taken them for the first time in hand I thought it was a metal soft-air
Tanfo, it takes three times the volume of aluminum to equal the weight of steel. Your new gun is slightly heavier than the old one. Where is the weight coming from?

M

·
WALTHER KING
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tanfo, it takes three times the volume of aluminum to equal the weight of steel. Your new gun is slightly heavier than the old one. Where is the weight coming from?

M
it is not a pure Aluminium Mike
it is a mix / alloy zinc-aluminum-copper

the "new Gun" is bigger and the Frame is full material
and the material thickness is another

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Tanfo: I believe that you are describing one of the alloys of Zamak, which is almost completely --96%-- zinc, which allows parts to be precisely molded at low temperature by die casting and requires practically no additional machining. Zamak has only about 4% aluminum, with small amounts of copper and magnesium.

It is almost as heavy as steel, about 90%. If the alloy were primarily aluminum, the gun would have to be MUCH bigger.

M

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just appearance alone turns me off. I like the shorter "beavertail", but you just can't beat that beautiful finish on the earlier weapon. If it looks good outside, there's a decent chance they took the time to finish her right inside.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I began collecting Walther PPK .22 lr pistols back in the 1970's. I still have
most of them, and looking at the new PPK/S .22 pistol I am glad I did.

My first PPK .22 pistol I purchased which was made in 1967 and was my first real pistol. I shot
well over 50,000 rounds through it and I still have it today. Nothing has ever broke, and the barrel shows no
wear. I think it is even more accurate now than when I first bought it....

·
Registered
6 Posts
first - the parts of the weapons are not compatible
What about the magazines? I'm asking because I'm searching for a magazine
for a friend of mine, for his .22lr PP, made in the -70's in the former West
Germany, Ulm. I wanted to order one from Walther Germany, but it seems
that the the magazines are not compatible and I want to make sure.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Ausgezeichneten arbeit mein König! Danke für die wunderbare fotografie und vergleich. Jetzt sehen wir, dass welche neu ist, ist nicht immer am besten.

Excellent work my King! Thank you for the nice photos and comparison; now we can all see that which is new is not always the best.

It is almost as heavy as steel, about 90%. If the alloy were primarily aluminum, the gun would have to be MUCH bigger.
Mike is correct, and I can see where the weight comes from. Observe the thickness of the walls of the slide from King Tanfoglio's photograph:

We can see a clear difference between the thickness of the real PPK on the left and the potmetal one to the right. The steel is much thinner while the new zinc version must be made more robust due to the brittle nature of the Inject-A-Metal they used to manufacture it. I'm not necessarily beating up on potmetal here, rather I'm just stating that it needs to be made much thicker to last for a reasonable amount of time in this application. Zamak has been to the moon and back in the Apollo missions so it can't be all that bad.

Still, it has no place in any PPK I'll be carrying in my waistband or be keeping in my desk drawer. Umarex, are you listening?

I didn't think so.

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
What about the magazines? ...I wanted to order one from Walther Germany, but it seems that the the magazines are not compatible and I want to make sure.
No sir. Not even close. The new magazines are more akin to the P22 than anything that goes with a PPK/S.

-Pilotsteve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts