Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S&W PPK 32 auto recoil spring is unfinished at the breach end, i.e. is does not have a closed loop, rather a 'prong'. I called S&W and they said that was normal. I don't like it, so ordered a Wolff replacement. The Wolff is a much weaker spring, and I have not yet taken it to the range with this spring.
Questions: Are all S&W recoils springs unfinished at one end ? Has anyone replaced with a Wolff ? Was it noticeably weaker on racking the slide ? What effect will this have on felt recoil ? TIA for all responses.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wolff Spring

I purchased a Wolff spring for my PPK/S-1 this fall. It is heavier than the original. However, it looks exactly the same as the original.
Neither end is well finished, but it functions just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually Wolff sent me 2 springs - the first one they sent was not de-burred and would not fit over the barel, so they replaced it. Both springs were identical - about 7 inches long, and the pack they each came in were clearly labelled for Walther PPK 7.65 mm.
Anyone else have a seemingly unfinished S&W recoil spring ? I'm tempted to order a replacement from them just to see what they send.
Thanks for your responses so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an Interarms PPK in .32 ACP, made long before S&W started making them. The end of the recoil spring that fits the muzzle is "finished" and the other end is a "prong" just as you describe. I think this is the way they are supposed to look. The gun works fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Ron - I thought it might be a S&W QC problem. I've owned 3 S&W semi auto's and all of them had problems so I was hesitant to purchase a PPK made by them, even though the design is not theirs. I guess I was worrying for no reason. Appreciate your response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts