Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm hew here and I thought I would get your opinions. I am considering getting a blued PPK in 7.65 mm (.32 cal.), but I have heard some cons against them. Things like: heavy trigger pull, "walther bite", failure to feed, stuff like that. What I want is any info you PPK owners can give me about this gorgeous little firearm, and your own opinions on them. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The DA pull of the PPK is a strong one. I believe they are set to 16lbs. However the SA is a nice 3 or 4 lb pull. As far as "Walther Bite" it just depends on how big your hands are. I've never had a problem. My Uncle shot mine and did get bit because he has a little more tissue between his thumb and finger than I do. Some say they've had problems with certain ammo, especially hollow points. I've had good luck with Winchester Silver and Hydro-shoks.

I guess if I were you I'd go shoot one firsts and then make your decision. I really like mine, however for my carry gun, generally I carry my Walther P99 unless I have a Tux on. I just like more power. If you get a German made one, you will have a fine collectors piece also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The DA pull is heavy, but my PPK is one of the best shooting pistols I own. I can shoot tighter groups than with my P99. Also it is a wartime issue and that makes it a conversation starter. Get one you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One school of thought is that the PPK was originally designed for 32 cal, and the 380 chambering came later.  I have a German made 32 cal (1968) which is flawless and shoots Brazilian hollow points without failure and shoots ball ammo all day long.  Again, the PPK was designed decades ago for ball ammo.  If I were to buy a 380 PPK, I would spend the bucks to get a German/Manhurin (sp) manufacture, and because the the Gun Control Act of 68; it would have to be 68 or earlier.  They ususally are for sale for $600 plus.
I have had 3 American made PPKs, sold 'em all, even after sending 'em back for repair.  I am not impressed with the latest version of PPK/S either.
Should the Yankee version ever come out right, I would not mind getting another PPK in 380 that could shoot hollow points
reliably:  it's great looking and conceals well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Manurhin made blued PPK in .32 caliber, and have experienced NO bites, jams (FTF or Stovepipes), or cannot give any negative opinion on this great little pistol. With the PPK remember it was designed in 1930 for FMJ and .32, and that is what you will get. The reason I got myself the PPK is firstly the size, especially being a very flat pistol, its easy to carry IWB or on the ankle. Secondly is my preference for da/sa, thirdly the reliable reputation for the weapon (we don’t get US Walthers here, so the reputation of it is still very good here). I use only 75gr FMJ ammo in mine, I prefer the maximum penetration in this small calibers, and I just heard of some FTF’s with the US PPK/S’s with HP’s, and that is enough for me not to carry HP’s.

Although I wont recommend the PPK to anyone for self-defense due to the weight and small caliber, compared to the newer compacts, after about 500 rounds I fell completely in love with it. And I trust it with my life as my only firearm in a one firearm only country.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1968 German-made PPK in 9mm Kurz and it fires FMJ flawlessly--at least the 500 rounds I've put through it.  Also seems to take HP pretty well, but I'll stick with FMJ.  Had a .32 when I was in Vietnam but it was stolen.  This is the replacement.

The "new" Maine manufactured PPK just doesn't look or feel "right"

I need to find some original, blued magazines with the brown finger rest.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a German made Walther PPK (not S) made in 1976 in 9mm kurtz. It will digest ANYTHING, but for absolute dependability I carry it with S+B FMJ.

Until recently I also had an Interarms manufactured PPK in .380, it also was not fussy about what it ate. It was stainless steel. Guess I lucked out with this one.

The new S+W manufactured PPK/S and PPK just look wierd, with the extended beaver tail.

Didn't realize that you can use .32 mags in your .380, I only buy .32 mags now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jaco--

Well, I was "sort of issued the PPK". It was given to me by the In-Province CIA officer with whom I worked closely. I really cried when it disappeared, only had about three weeks to go. (I cry even more about it now knowing it's sentimental value to me!)

Anyway, can't say enough good things about my replacement PPK except that it's not in .32

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have an Interarms PPK/S in .380.  I love the look and feel of this gun but was disappointed in the reliability and accuracy.  It was used but not very much by the look of it.  I assume the previous owner sold it out of disappointment.  

I tried about 200 rounds of various FMJ with frequent FTF's.  Sometimes one per magazine!  From research on the gun I assumed with more firing it would loosen up and function better.  Then on a whim I decided to try Winchester Silver Tip 85 gr. hollow points thinking they would be really bad, but the price was better than usual.  Well...reliability was excellent by comparison.  In 50 rounds, no FTF's.  One time only the slide didn't cycle forward and I had to quickly rack it.  Accuracy, also excellent easily grouping in about 1/4 of my previous best groups.  Also the recoil was MUCH better.  I would have a sore hand after 50 rounds of win white box 95 gr ammo, but this stuff was almost as light as my p22. I have never had a problem with hammer bite or slide cuts and I tend to hold it pretty high on the grip. I don't have real beefy hands but at 5'10" and 210lbs., I'm not real thin either.

Now I know what to feed it until I get about 1000 rounds through it.  I've seen the ammo for 18.95 for 50 (ouch) but when I purchased it was 12.95.  Still steep, but not as painful. I'm just glad to know that I wasn't wrong to not give up on this gun:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.