Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to find out when a PPK was made that I bought about 7 years ago. The serial number is 1002763. It is stamped with the crown over N. I haven’t done any research on it until I found the forum here. Any help would be appreciated. I did discover it is a pre war German made gun, but didn’t find a year made. Also does anyone know if it originally came in a box with a manual or tools? Should I be looking for this things to add value? Thanks for the help. I am neither a gun expert or technology savvy. Hope the attached pictures help and come through on the site.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi, see attached picture to get an idea on year of manufacture. It is available elsewhere both in this forum and others.

Yours is a nice pistol - what ar ethe internals like? And the barrel?

From the pictures it appears that your firearm may have been refinished, but I cannot say when. Re-bluing, in most cases, reduces the value of the firearm as it does not retain its originality (but there are exceptions, like the PPs captured by East Germant, re-finished and re-issued, but there are only few exceptions from what I know, there are others who can be of more help in that regard).

Your pistol will fall in the 1938 year, and it does not appear to have any further issue markings.

I would not suggest you spend more money on accessories and stuff for it, as these will have their own value and won't add anything to the value of the pistol, per se. I'd save the money for a more collectible pistol (or shooting gun) depends what you enjoy. Manuals, original boxes and accessories from the Zella Mehlis era do not come cheap...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the info. The internals are in great shape and the barrel is clean and bright. I have shot probably 500 rounds through it with no problems at all and figured I better find out more about the gun before I kept shooting it if it did have some value. I thought it might be reblued but wasn’t sure. The gun was just too clean and showed no signs of wear (to speak of) when I bought it to not be refurbished. I only paid a few hundred dollars for it anyway. Even if I got it home and it turned out to be a paperweight I thought it was nice looking. The person I bought it from was a third party and knew nothing of the gun or history except that it was a Walther PPK. Would a gunsmith be able to tell if it was reblued/ worked on or referbished?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have one like that too, only cost a few hundred euros, and I thought if I have problems, I can always use it for parts (or paper weight, as you said, heheh!!).
Tell-tale signs of rebluing are the stampings not showing sharply - as, in yor case, the crown-over-N on the RHS under the ejection port. Even the barrel (chamber, actually) appears polished. Sometimes there could also be the signs of sanding of original bluing or removal of pitting - depends on how amateurish the guy who did it was and how bad the gun originally was.
I've deen reblued guns with hardly any stamping left, as it was all removed while smoothing down the pitting.
At closer inspection, even the most optically challeneged gunsmith would (read: should) know that the gun was re-blued.
Anyhow, if it's a good shooter, just enjoy it. Personally, I am only wary of hot, factory loads and prefer to shoot my own 7,65 Br reloads in my guns, especially in older ones. But that's just me.
Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.