Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I'm attempting to find out the date of manufacture of a particular PPK. Any help would be appreciated. The serial # is 182237. I will try and post pictures as well. I'm hoping this particular model is manufactured pre 1946 but I have my doubts. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time

Attachments

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Well, seeing how it says Ulm/Do on the slide, rather than Zella Mehlis or Zella St Blasi, it's definitely of post WW2 manufacture.

You see the '65 on the barrel visible through the ejection port? That gun was made 20 years after WW2.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If you're passing on the gun you may want to post the contact info of the seller. Any Walther fan I know would love to have that gun...myself included.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Ontario Canada. It probably wouldn't be worth exporting to the US. Depending on the exchange rate it may end up being cheaper. I am unsure what the going rate of a PPK is stateside but this particular PPK is listed for $449CAD + tax or $340USD. I can send the link if you wish

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does a nice PPK go for in the US ?? The big issue here is due to barrel length they are prohibited. Not everyone is able to legally purchase them. This is why I'm searching for a pre 1946 model that can legally be passed down to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the PPK's I have found are 7.65 mm not 380. I did a quick check the issue isn't exporting out of Canada the issue may lay with the ATF allowing the import. I didn't realize they went for so much more state side. Everything else I have found is the other way around.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yeah, the same way anti-gunners are railing against "high cap", "assault style" weapons which only criminals would use, in recent years, back in 1968 they were whining about small, easily concealed, low capacity weapons that only criminals would use... like the Walther PPK, which didn't score enough "sporting" points (as if the constitution said anything about sporting purposes), so it got banned from importation, and Walther thought up the Walther PPK/S. by combining the larger PP frame with the shorter PPK barrel and slide, which then passed all the "sporting" criteria.

Which is why the PPK is cheap as dirt in Germany and expensive a/f in the US. The grass is always greener, I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I envy the freedom you have in the US compared to Canada. Yes there are some states that mag have capacity laws etc. I literally have a criminal record check ran through CPIC every 24 hours just to have the "privilege" of owning a restricted firearm. Not to mention magazine capacity and even the freedom to carry or transport firearms That's a rant for another forum. Thank you for your assistance I appreciate it. I may have to spend more time here.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yeah, I seem to remember that in Canada .32 cal pistols got banned altogether with the not so hidden purpose of banning as many handguns as possible in one go. Plus the short 98mm barrel of the PPK. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a data base or list of serial numbers I can easily access to determine manufacturer date ?? Ineas sent pictures of what the seller is telling me is a 1939 model and it looks exactly like the above PPK except is has the flush magazine. No numbers marked on the ejection port as above though.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Database, not so much. But many here incl. myself swear by Dieter Marschall's book "Walther Pistols Model 1 through PPX", which explains all the generational tell tale differences very well.

PPK's typically came with one flush and one finger extension magazine.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Is there a data base or list of serial numbers I can easily access to determine manufacturer date ??
There are serial number date charts available but those were compiled by collectors and are not neccessarily accurate.

But many here incl. myself swear by Dieter Marschall's book "Walther Pistols Model 1 through PPX", which explains all the generational tell tale differences very well.
+1 on getting Dieter's book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
German Nazi-Era PPK Help: Attempting to identify the date of manufacture and any other info about this Walther (I am new to Walthers - Trained with Colt Super/Glocks). Thank you in advance for your help. Owner told me it is from 1945 (unknown pre or post-war) but I cant find the serial number identification anywhere online

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have found another PPK. Again I believe it is post war but I would like to confirm before passing on it. The serial # is 406966X it apparently may have German police markings on it so that may put manufacture date around the 70's ??

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts