Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I am a newbe here and I have a question,do magazine springs on a ppk have a correct installation direction like top/bottom,front / back?

·
Banned
1,543 Posts
This thread is making me laugh.

It is truly a thread to keep on going here.

I found a spring in a handgun (semi auto) inserted wrong and immediately corrected it. The nose has to be supported to feed the ammunition.

Without significant nose support no ammunition is delivered into the chamber....

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Lay the parts of a disassembled magazine on a table and it's instantly obvious. To fully and evenly support the underside of the follower, the magazine spring must be oriented so that the angle of the top coil matches the angle of the follower when the magazine is assembled. The angle of the bottom coil will then match the angle of the floorplate. On a PP-series magazine, the top and bottom of the spring are identical, but there is a front and rear. On a P38 magazine the ends are not identical (one end has a short coil); of the four possible ways to insert the spring, only one is correct (the short coil goes under the follower; the second coil supports the follower holdopen "step").

M

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
I am glad that so many like this threads.
I purchasedthis 32 ppk awhile back and have through this forum determaned it was born in Apr of 1940 yet it was represented as post war.It came with two mags one orignal and one older post war so I have Wolf springs coming hence te guestion since I have never had one of these mags apart. Also check out Bull Dog Custom leather Round Lake Ill. Randy is building a custom iwb holster for it
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,
Update,The +5 mag springs from Wolf springs are tough,I had to pin them through the sight hole inmag body to releave tension to get them to seat. Right now I can not seat all seven bullets but tech at Wolf said should loosen in a weak or so.Ialso replaced the recoil spring and ejector spring (the paper clip) which was rusted in place but still working.Now it's a trip to the range to see how the old girl shoots.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question from a newbie here:
In terms of spring function and longevity, how bad is it to leave ammo loaded in the mags and/or the chamber? How long would you have to leave those springs compressed in order for them to possibly not function properly?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Compression is not what wears out springs. Cycling between compressed and relaxed states is what does it. There have been reports of M1911 magazines that were left loaded for fifty years, and functioned with perfect reliability when fired.

Load 'em up and leave 'em that way with confidence.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Exactly. My Colt 1911's original mag had been loaded except for range time and cleaning since I bought it 30 yrs ago. No issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Compression is not what wears out springs. Cycling between compressed and relaxed states is what does it. There have been reports of M1911 magazines that were left loaded for fifty years, and functioned with perfect reliability when fired.

Load 'em up and leave 'em that way with confidence.
Thanks guys. Good to know. It makes perfect sense as most police firearms probably spend most of their life loaded against the springs in a state of readiness.

·
Registered
713 Posts
This thread is making me laugh.

It is truly a thread to keep on going here.

I found a spring in a handgun (semi auto) inserted wrong and immediately corrected it. The nose has to be supported to feed the ammunition.

Without significant nose support no ammunition is delivered into the chamber....
Same as sex :D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Exactly. My Colt 1911's original mag had been loaded except for range time and cleaning since I bought it 30 yrs ago. No issues.

Mine goes back to 1972 . Still working I got 1 WWII mag I never changed in . Its now a range mag .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took apart one of my PPK/S magazines, the one with the flush fitting plate and correct me if I am wrong but it looks like there is only one way the spring can go in there. It should be totally obvious if you've got in in the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts