Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three months ago I bought a S&W-made PPK/S-1 380 ACP. I have shot over 600 rounds of various types of ammo (Remington, hollow point, Winchester). About every 100 or so rounds it has a failure that I hope some of the members can help me diagnose.

When the problems occurs, the slide fails to completely insert the new round. As
soon as I release the clip, the slide moves forward and fully inserts the round.
This has happened with both clips that came with gun.

Any advice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had two types of problems with my S & W Walther ppks 380. First, when using the round headed cartridges Remington 380, I have had two cartridges trying to load at once causing the slide to get stuck, with live ammo and not fully retract. When I switched to The win clean flat head cartridges, this problem disappeared. Second, recently, when using the spare magazine with the win clean flat head ammo, one of the spent cartridges failed to eject and caused the slide to get stuck, i.e., not fully retract becasue of unjected cartridge. These problems happened once each. I don't know the reasons why they occurred. I make every attempt to hold the firearm firmly and not limp wrist it. It's a very accurate pistol and fun to shoot. I thought it was the ammo at first but now after the switch, another problem occurred. I assume it must be the spring on the spare magazine or the ejection rod. I'm not sure.

Does the slide fail to fully retract? What is preventing the slide from fully retracting? Is there a cartridge stuck in the ejection port of the slide, whether live or spent?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If you REALLY want to diagnose it, make yourself some dummy cartridges (from virgin brass --do NOT, repeat, NOT--use fired cases), remove the recoil spring, and cycle by hand to see where and how it is hanging up.

M

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I don't mean this to sound harsh or condescending, but if you can't make your own dummy cartridges, you don't have enough experience to do your own diagnosis. Take the gun to a gunsmith, and pay him for HIS talent.

M

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Three months ago I bought a S&W-made PPK/S-1 380 ACP. I have shot over 600 rounds of various types of ammo (Remington, hollow point, Winchester). About every 100 or so rounds it has a failure that I hope some of the members can help me diagnose.

When the problems occurs, the slide fails to completely insert the new round. As
soon as I release the clip, the slide moves forward and fully inserts the round.
This has happened with both clips that came with gun.

Any advice?
No worries...S&W Walthers are easy to fix. Make sure the magazines insert and fall freely. Check to be sure they aren't sticking in the well...they should have a small amount of vertical play when latched in place. Be sure the extractor is clean, slightly lubed and not binding in the slide. Be sure the bolt face is smooth and the feed ramp and barrel don't have any burrs that could catch the cartridge. Be sure you hold the pistol with a straight wrist and duplicate the same hold with each shot. Clean your mags often. Check the mag feed lips to make sure they're smooth...if they leave scratches on the casings or draw blood they need stoning. After you check those I'll give your next 10... ;)

Seriously, if you've fired over 500 rds and it's still having issues send it back to the factory. They fixed mine (more or less) and I had it back in a week... :)

Milspec

·
Registered
15 Posts
I delievered mine to the factory. It's been a couple of weeks now. Hopefully, they have diagnosed and fixed the problems, if indeed there are any problems.
I'm here to learn. That's why I'm on this forum. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
...if you can't make your own dummy cartridges, you don't have enough experience...

M
I really don't recommend this...but our small arms guys made dummy cartridges from live rounds by drilling a small hole in the side and spraying it full of WD-40. After letting it sit upright for a couple of days they'd drill the other side and blow the out powder (usually a liquid by now) with more WD-40. Then they'd load it into a gun and pop the primer a few times. Then they'd drill out the primer and toss it into the dummy box.

It seemed to work...but like I said...I really don't recommend this... :D

Milspec

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
That's the long way around. Rap out the bullet with an inertia puller, dump the powder, and fire the primer. Reseat the bullet. It's done.

For experience: WD40 cannot be relied upon to kill a primer.

M

I really don't recommend this...but our small arms guys made dummy cartridges from live rounds by drilling a small hole in the side and spraying it full of WD-40. After letting it sit upright for a couple of days they'd drill the other side and blow the out powder (usually a liquid by now) with more WD-40. Then they'd load it into a gun and pop the primer a few times. Then they'd drill out the primer and toss it into the dummy box.

It seemed to work...but like I said...I really don't recommend this... :D

Milspec

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
That's the long way around. Rap out the bullet with an inertia puller, dump the powder, and fire the primer. Reseat the bullet. It's done.

For experience: WD40 cannot be relied upon to kill a primer.

M
Should be: "FROM experience..."

M

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts

From experience: WD40 cannot be relied upon to kill a primer.

M
Well...I kinda doubt my guys had a .50MG die set handy... ;)

Anyway, however you make the dummies, be sure to drill a hole through the case...or paint the things red...or something so you don't confuse a live round with the dummys. Wives really hate it when you shoot the fridge... :D

Milspec

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
In practice it's very hard to drill holes in a small .380 shell case without distorting it, in which case its usefulness as a dummy is lost. Painting it also will change its dimensions. Dying them black with analine shoe dye is feasible but must be periodically renewed.

None of this, of course, is a substitute for the 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not permit live ammo on thine workbench. Violate that rule, and sooner or later you will be struck by lightning.

M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts