Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bit about the properties of aluminum, and though I don't have the scientific wherewithal to assess what I've found, it seems like aluminum is not ideal for pistols, as it can endure far less stress than steel. Am I mistaken that an alloy PPK (specifically a 1966 .22 PPK-L) would have a much shorter life than a regular steel one? I'd like to avoid buying a safe queen, and since I have no idea how many rounds have been put through one I have my eye on, I'd appreciate anyone's insight.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I doubt you could "wear out" the frame of a .22 PPK in either aluminium or steel.

If the pistol is in good shape it should last a generation or three.

The PPKL is a fairly rare piece. If the price/condition is right, buy it, then put it up for sale or trade and get a steel frame if you are concerned you will shoot out the rare aluminium one.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Many, many firearms have been made with aluminum alloy frames. Many, many are made today with them and are some of the most reliable, sturdy and outstanding guns made.

My carry gun is an 18 year old Sig/Sauer P220 .45 with the aluminum frame. It has countless thousands of rounds through it, including many 230 grain hollowpoint Speer +P duty rounds. It has shown no signs of slowing down.

Your older PPK is fine.

People also thought Glock was crazy to make a "plastic" polymer frame gun. They said it would never hold up. Ha! Now everyone makes polymer framed guns.

I'd like to see the PPK re-issued with an aluminum frame or, imagine this, a polymer frame of the exact same dimensions!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
mm6mm6,

I'm with you on the re-issue - as long as S&W has nothing whatsoever to do with it!!!!

The new pistol will also need to have a big red 3' x 5' flag that pops up when the pistol is loaded so we can get it approved for California!

;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts