Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Walther Gurus,

I recently purchased a PPK-L with no import marks. She's a great little gun that shoots flawlessly.
I replaced the recoil and firing pin spring for complete, superficial peace of mind. Enjoy the photos and if you
can help, I have some questions:

- Date of manufacture? The original owner says it was made around 1965, but I don't know how to verify.

- I assume this was made in West Germany but again, there's a lack of markings. There are no import marks
but no "Made in West Germany" markings, either. Not sure if it's because of the year or because it's a Dural model?
I'm pretty sure it's not a Manurhin gun, but YOU'RE the experts.

- How and where on planet Earth can I find either the correct magazines or at least the brown baseplates in .32acp?
They're probably the cost of the gun, but it can't hurt to ask while I'm here. MecGar mags are amazing but you can't
beat the matching brown "pinky plates" on a gun like this.

- Dimensionally, are the classic PPK's the same size as the newer ones? I've never owned a new production model
past the Interarms pistols, but the new S&W and Walther beaver tail guns look a lot "fatter" in pics and vids. I had an
Interarms PPK in .380acp so I know the barrel diameter is wider, but somehow the newest iterations still look bulkier, 380
or not. Just curious.

Thank you in advance for any info on the above questions! -Mike

Watch Material property Gadget Camera accessory Wood

Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Revolver Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry Air gun

Everyday carry Rectangle Handgun holster Gun accessory Metal

Wood Rectangle Trigger Air gun Everyday carry

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nice pickup. Can you take a closer pic of the ejection port and serial number and any proof marks on the same side?

I can't zoom in enough on my phone, but that information should help figure it out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice pickup. Can you take a closer pic of the ejection port and serial number and any proof marks on the same side?

I can't zoom in enough on my phone, but that information should help figure it out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Here you go! Looks like the Eagle/N marking, although I have no idea if that's a good thing.
Automotive tire Gesture Font Art Wood

Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior House numbering Auto part

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Eagle/N is standard for the period. Some Walthers will have the year etched on the ejection port, it looks like there is something there, but I can't make it out on the pictures. I have a book that I can check later to see if they list it and maybe they have the serial range that will give a date.

Most of the made in Germany marked guns were made in Manurhin then sent back to Ulm to be stamped, but it doesn't look like the lightweight version is one of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thank you! I looked again and don't see any additional markings. I briefly owned a PPK with a '65 marking on the ejection port and a "Made in W Germany" on the frame so I'm familiar with those areas. This Dural gun lacks BOTH those aforementioned markings.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can't see any proof marking (eagle above N) on the slide. According to the regulation about the proof test, it should be somewhere.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If there is really no proof marking anywhere on the slide, something is wrong with the gun. The slide may then not originally belong to this weapon, because when a weapon is tested in the proof house, it always receives the corresponding proof markings on the three parts frame, barrel and slide.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Congrats, I see you bought this pistol on Gunbroker on October 1st, hope you had a chance to shoot it and it functioned well.
Per my bible authored by Master Dieter the S/N number confirms falling into the PPK-L range between 1/1955 to 1/1982 with S/N range 500 001 - 533 640…I assume its somewhere produced around 1958-60 and by Manurhin.
The reason of no date is because your pistol carries the commercial proof mark that started from 1952 and lasted till 1968 but and it shows in the Bible there also that from 1952 to 1961 there was no date put on the ejection port. My point, the frame and barrel/ejection port are authentic. Now for the slide if it should have a S/N number I am not sure for that year, perhaps somebody else can confirm but:

I might be wrong but you have a genuine all original PPK-L manufactured at Manurhin and not intended for export (hence no made in WG) made around 1958-1960 so no date code was added AND it does not seem uncommon to not put the S/N number on the slide during that time………

anybody correct me or add onto this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
  • ... AND it does not seem uncommon to not put the S/N number on the slide during that time………

anybody correct me or add onto this.
But once again: it's absolutely uncommon, that there is no proof mark on the slide.
In a nutshell, it means that this slide has never seen a German proof house from the inside, otherwise it would have received the proof mark along with the barrel and frame.
Incidentally, it is therefore forbidden to shoot with this weapon in a member country of the CIP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I checked my 1968 and 1969 PPK-L and they don’t have any proofmarks on the slide, only on the frame.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I checked my 1968 and 1969 PPK-L and they don’t have any proofmarks on the slide, only on the frame.
This is very strange, because according to German proof law, all essential parts of a firearm had/have to receive the proof mark. In the case of a pistol, these were/are the frame, slide and barrel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, the 69 has the serialnumber 524xxx on it, and the 68 has the serialnumber 126xxx on the slide without the R suffix, while on the frame it has the R behind the serialnumber.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, the 69 has the serialnumber 524xxx on it, and the 68 has the serialnumber 126xxx on the slide without the R suffix, while on the frame it has the R behind the serialnumber.
With the proof mark on the frame and the barrel and the serial number on the frame and on the slide, you can at least determine that the frame and slide belong together and thus the complete weapon most probably has passed the proof test.
However, it should be noted that the lack of the proof mark on the slide did/does not comply with the regulations. Of course, I don't know why the proof house was so negligent or generous.
However, the OP's gun is missing both the serial number and the proof mark on the slide. In this condition, a new gun may not be sold in Germany today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also checked my 2019 Browning Hi-Power. It has a CIP stamp on the barrel and the frame. S/N on the barrel and the frame, but nothing on the slide.
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
477 Posts
I also checked my 2019 Browning Hi-Power. It has a CIP stamp on the barrel and the frame. S/N on the barrel and the frame, but nothing on the slide. View attachment 101732 View attachment 101733
At least according to the latest EU rules, every important part of a new firearm must have a serial number.
The reason is that a weapon and its parts can be traced at any time. Your FN was probably made shortly before that.
Or is the serial number somewhere on the inside of the slide?
As said already, in this condition it would be forbidden to sell this FN as a newly produced gun in Germany today.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
With the proof mark on the frame and the barrel and the serial number on the frame and on the slide, you can at least determine that the frame and slide belong together and thus the complete weapon most probably has passed the proof test.
However, it should be noted that the lack of the proof mark on the slide did/does not comply with the regulations. Of course, I don't know why the proof house was so negligent or generous.
However, the OP's gun is missing both the serial number and the proof mark on the slide. In this condition, a new gun may not be sold in Germany today.
Understand but today is not applicable to the original ask that we trying to resolve. A PPK-l slide with no S/N and proof mark on the right side…….or at least a S/N on it……is the slide original or not? I think its original…….99%……unfortunately someone wit a PPK-L from 1952 to 1960 can provide the proof and answer. Who is out there!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
According to Dieter H Marschall’s book the serialnumbers were put on the slide from 1965 on.
On my ‘59 PP the last 3 digits of the serialnumber are scratched on the inside of the slide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts