Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to purchase my grail gun earlier last year... a Walther PPK-L 7.65mm. I had owned .380 versions in the past, S&W models, but was never happy with them - I had always wanted the .32. The opportunity presented itself and the gun happened to be an -L. It didn't matter to me and I jumped at it, and I couldn't be happier.

I shoot my guns - you can see some wear on the right side of the frame from the 1300+ rounds I've gone through in the year and a half I've owned it. I've had 16 light strikes in those 1300 rounds (all Fiocchi 73gr FMJ). All the rounds fired on a second DA strike - is Fiocchi known to have harder primers? I've got some Geco coming soon to try out, too.

I'm in love with this little pistol and will keep it for the rest of my life.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What does the L mean?

It's a beauty.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the L mean?

It's a beauty.

The L indicates that this pistol has a lightweight aluminum alloy frame (as opposed to the steel frame on the regular PPK). I'm not sure what the L stands for specifically - maybe Leicht? (German for "light").

I believe the PPK-L is about 110g or 4oz lighter in weight than the standard PPK.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hence Dural on the box. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Nice find. I knew there were alloy framed PPKs... just didn't know they were designated L.
The designation -L (and not /L as mentioned wrongly too often in this forum) can't be seen on all lightweight models. The Manurhin and the early Ulm marked models for example didn't get it. Also there was no corresponding designation on the models manufactured in Zella-Mehlis.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
The steel framed guns are noted as pleasant shooters in .32. Does the alloy frame make much difference?
Beautiful gun; much credit for actually shooting it.
Moon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The steel framed guns are noted as pleasant shooters in .32. Does the alloy frame make much difference?
Beautiful gun; much credit for actually shooting it.
Moon
I've never fired a steel-frame .32, but shooting the alloy-framed PPK-L is far from unpleasant. The only ammunition I've used has been Fiocchi 73gr FMJ, so that is my only reference point, and the gun is incredibly docile. I generally start my range sessions with the PPK-L, and I usually end up going through way more ammunition than I intended... then when I transition to a different pistol in a larger caliber, it is alway a bit jarring... the PPK is just so smooth!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My PP is an absolute blast to shoot!

·
Registered
854 Posts
And, according to published ammo makers specs, the Fiocchi 73 grainer FMJ's are one of the hottest rounds out there compared to US makers (WIN White 71 FMJ, REM 71 FMJ, PMC 71 FMJ). These are listed at ammo suppliers web sites. I've felt the difference shooting all four out of my old PP.
The Italian Fiocchi's and other Euro ammo makers load to the original 7.65 specs and another plus is they use the originally designed 7.65 brass which is quite different at the base/extractor groove. Smoother feeding from the magazines. What the Walthers were designed for. Head spaces on the semi-rim and not the case mouth. Plus, the Fiocchi's use a roll crimp at a cannalure on the bullet which makes them feed 100%. Out of my PP anyway.
The best price I've found for them is at MidwayUSA for around $13 & change for 50. Very clean burning.
You found a good round right off the bat. No need to experiment. I've already done this and there is an entire thread with pictures about plinking rounds.
Let me see if I can locate it and post a link.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Viper, if my experience with Fiocchi .357s is in any way indicative, they don't mind making them hot. I'll have to look to see if I clocked any factory .32s.

For reloaders, the .32 round isn't hard to deal with. While I'm inclined to agree with Viper about Euro rounds, my .32 brass supply is a dog's breakfast, and I haven't had any issues. Even my damnfool Scorpion gobbles things up.
For the OP, one more thing to be jealous of here. :D Surprising that Walther didn't make more dural guns; they just make sense in .32.
Moon

·
Registered
854 Posts
You know 1/2, I shoot the Fiocchi 32 Smith & Wesson long ammo they make and I agree about them making their ammo hotter and a bit more fun. They are a hidden gem with really good prices.
Euro's love their hotter ammo.
And the smaller PPK with an alloy frame with Fiocchi's, it must be a total joy to shoot! It's just right.
drw2514 is one lucky guy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Fiocchi is indeed great ammo. The only thing I've noticed - and it may just be my gun - is that some of them seem to have hard primers. 16 rounds out of ~1,300 have required a second strike for me. Anyone else have that kind of an experience with Fiocchi?

I purchased mine through OutdoorLimited.com, back when they had cases of 1,000 for $199 and 50 round boxes for $9.99. They don't have any FMJ Fiocchi in stock at the moment, but they do have Geco available at that price. Best I've found anywhere. Very reasonable shipping rates and generally same or next day shipping.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Viper, reread that entire thread about the .32s and their crimp; you had posted an uncommonly clear diagram of what a just right taper crimp looked like.
Couple .32 issues; the semi-rimmed case can induce rimlock if the superior round gets its rim behind the one below it. Never saw this with the Walther (and its energetic blowback recoil spring), but the softer sprung KelTec could have an issue.
The groove above the semi rim is wider and more gradual on European cartridges; this is where the superior cartridge's rim is to nest on the round below it.
No data on Fiocchi in my files, but PriviPartisan was running 912 and my reloads at 884. Both have run 100% in the Walther, where they were clocked.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Thanks, Viper, that's not a bad number, especially for good .32 ammo.
I'm pretty well stocked; there's Fiocchi, Privi, S&B and reloads in the .32 locker.
BTW, the rounds in the Scorp mags snap right in and nest well; pretty tough to rim lock it even if you try. But it does shoot the brass straight up in the air, and I lose a lot outdoors.

Moon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the PPK-L to the range today. Wanted to try out the Geco rounds, and to see how it would deal with JHP rounds (purely to satisfy my curiosity).

Started with 60gr Hornady XTP... barely got through 20 rounds. 12 of them failed to chamber. Called it after that - My PPK doesn't like XTPs. I kind of expected this going in - the design predates widespread use of hollow points.

Tried 65gr Federal Hydra-Shoks next. Blazed through 60 of those without a single issue. Seems my PPK likes those just fine.

Then went on to 50 rounds of 73gr Fiocchi FMJ. 3 light strikes/hard primers... not sure what to call it, I just know that three rounds required a second strike to fire. Keeps happening with Fiocchi ammo for me.

Finished up with 150 rounds of Geco 73gr FMJ. No issue at all - felt just as zippy as the Fiocchi, and I didn't have the light strike/hard primer issue. I'd say they are equivalent performance wise. I got mine here:

50 Round Box/$9.99:
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/handgun-ammo/32-acp/geco-32-auto-ammunition-73-grain-full-metal-jacket-50-rounds/

1,000 Round Case/$199.79:
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/handgun-ammo/32-acp/bulk-ammo-case-pricing/geco-32-auto-ammunition-73-grain-full-metal-jacket-1-000-rounds/

The extractor groove on the Geco doesn't appear to be as large as it is on the Fiocchi, and it appears that Geco does use a taper crimp as opposed to a roll crimp, but function was 100% in my PPK-L, and you can't beat the price. Velocity seemed on par with Fiocchi (based on feel alone - while I own a chronograph, I am not frequently able to get out to the country to use it :eek:).

For the range, I'd go with either Fiocchi or Geco, depending on what was available. But I think for me personally, with my own gun, with my own experience, if I were going to trust my life to the PPK-L, it'd be loaded with the Geco FMJ. Too many light strikes with the Fiocchi - don't want to hear a click instead of a boom. All went off with a second strike in the past (second strike capability is just one more thing to love about the PPK and all DA/SA pistols IMHO), but... ?

Anyway, still loving my little pistol. Up over 1,500 rounds now since I purchased it (her?) in March 2017. Don't know why I didn't discover this place sooner :).

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nice write up drw. I never had an issue with the Fiocchi's. Maybe need a stronger hammer spring in yours would fix that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts