Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PPK/L with a serial number 502XXX, which makes it early 1956. My question is, did the PPK/L have a stainless steel slide with black "rap-around" grips. I paid about the normal price for a good regular PPK, and I know the PPK/L were made in far less quantities and command a much higher price. Did I buy a fake? Sorry, I can not provide pictures at this time. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
There are three strange things:
- if it says PPK/L on the slide then it's a fake obviously
- there was never a PPK-L with a stainless steel slide
- the brown grip plates didn't exist in 1956

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you have a PPK with an aluminum frame and a stainless slide, then yes you can bet that it didn't leave the Walther factory that way. But. If you have an aluminum frame PPK and only paid a normal PPK price for it and aren't happy with the deal then I will be happy to jump up and buy it from you.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Again, I am sorry I mislead you. The left side of the slide has a "PPK-L" on it. Not PPK/L. In addition, the frame is the dural light weight frame and the slide is steel, but it is not blued. I am starting to believe it was blue originally and changed to look stainless. The grips (L&R) are black and the wrap-around backstrap is also black. Correct for 1956? There is a lanyard loop in the heel of the gun, but I have seen pictures of a real PPK-L with this loop. So, I'm still confused, but I think I'll kept it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would post some pics, this forum is REALLY good at giving out information, but usually it helps with some nice pictures.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Again, I am sorry I mislead you. The left side of the slide has a "PPK-L" on it. Not PPK/L. In addition, the frame is the dural light weight frame and the slide is steel, but it is not blued. I am starting to believe it was blue originally and changed to look stainless. The grips (L&R) are black and the wrap-around backstrap is also black. Correct for 1956? There is a lanyard loop in the heel of the gun, but I have seen pictures of a real PPK-L with this loop. So, I'm still confused, but I think I'll kept it.
Simply use a magnet to find out whether the slide is made of stainless steel...
Best wishes, Dieter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Writing PPK-L is correct for this gun in 1956
Also the serial number 502XXX and other details

I think the slide has lost his blueing and the gun is original
Security only with pics

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Simply use a magnet to find out whether the slide is made of stainless steel...
Best wishes, Dieter.
That won't tell you anything. The stainless used by both Ranger and S&W were ferromagnetic.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
UE is perzactly right about firearm stainless; it is also true of other Smith handguns.
Do I recall some of the lightweight PPKs having a verchromt hardchrome finish? It wasn't true about my P5, but wasn't there a factory application?
Otherwise, it was an aftermarket job (as with my P5), but the OP sounds like he got a great deal; no harm, no foul. Enjoy your pistol!
Moon
ETA- Presume it is a .32? Even better!
M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts