Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From everything I’ve read, they are. Maybe somebody can confirm this or set me straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
Kind of a moot point, since they are pretty much unicorns. Well, rare at least.
All .32s.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
What can also be mentioned is the fact that Manurhin has never used the designation PPK-L on its lightweight models.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That looks a little like the one I just won on Gunbroker! A blue German (Ulm/Do.) PPK-L in .22LR, but mine has the mottled brown grips and finger extension magazine. There are no cracks or splits in the grips; they will be coming off and stored safely away in a padded box in the safe. I'll put an aftermarket set of grips on this pistol for sure! I am pumped to have found one of these Unicorns.
PPK-L .22LR.jpg
PPK-L .22LR 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
There are no cracks or splits in the grips; they will be coming off and stored safely away in a padded box in the safe. I'll put an aftermarket set of grips on this pistol for sure!
That's a great looking PPK druryj ! I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it.

I wouldn't worry too much about those grips. The delicate ones that you hear about warping and cracking are the one piece grips used on the Zella-Mehlis pistols. Your '68 will have a stronger two piece grip. I have two PPK's with those same grips and shoot them frequently without worry.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I had, a long time ago, a Z.M. PPK .from around 1936....in poor shape with major cracks in the grips. Still, a fella saw it at the range and offered me $900 on the spot...which I took. This little jewel looks to be much nicer; can't wait to get it!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
A blue German (Ulm/Do.) PPK-L in .22LR, but mine has the mottled brown grips and finger extension magazine. There are no cracks or splits in the grips; they will be coming off and stored safely away in a padded box in the safe.
Walther changed to black grip plates in the late seventies. Mine is a 1980 model. As Redcat94 already stated, there's no need to take away the original grips. They are not prone to cracking. Enjoy your new gun!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
From everything I’ve read, they are.
By the way, you will encounter the term PPK/L (in analogy to PPK/S or PPK/E) regularly here in the forum. But the correct designation is PPK-L (with a hyphen instead of a slash) as you wrote it in the title.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed that right away and sort of found it ...odd. I wonder why they used the - instead of the /?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I noticed that right away and sort of found it ...odd. I wonder why they used the - instead of the /?
I don't know. At least we can say, that the designation PPK-L with the hyphen came first. The PPK/S and PPK/E with their slashes appeared later.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Balogh, is the trigger face of your PPK-L smooth or grooved ? Are the sights all black or von Stavenhagen ?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Balogh, is the trigger face of your PPK-L smooth or grooved ? Are the sights all black or von Stavenhagen ?
And another new one on me. Vin Stavenhagen? I’m feeling like a noobie here guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Von Stavenhagen sights are sometimes called dot over bar. A little similar to a Heinie Straight Eight. You'll see them a lot on older Walther and Sig pistols. Beretta still uses them sometimes. When I first learned about them I thought they were a stupid idea until I tried them. Now its one of my favorite styles of sight picture.

In my pictures below the PPK slide on the right uses von Stavenhagen sights. The closeup is the rear of my Sig P226.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts