Walther Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
I was raised on the Makarov, so the PPK/s in 9mmK is just fine. Just make sure that the used one you finally choose gets fed often until you are very familiar with its tastes and behavior. Wholly agree that it should not be a collectible, rather a pistol that has had the basic kinks worked out in it, and one that might sit a while in evidence if (hopefully never), you actually had to use it to defend yourself or your family. My choice is an Ulm PPK/S. Sometimes a DDR PM.

The issue with the .380 PPK is the slide's abrupt stop at the end of its travel; the tab of the trigger guard is supposed to be a buffer of sorts, but it really doesn't make much difference.

Under some circumstances, the effect is like smacking a rock with an iron bar; almost a 'twang'.
Not the same as ordinary recoil (say, a Smith 340SC with magnum loads), but a sharp snap with maybe the twang.
Shoot the same rounds in a Glock 42; whole different critter.
Moon

Reactions: Hrcnsfan
I have three ppk's. All are .32 caliber. Two are made in Germany. One is a WWII bring back, so I know it is all original. One is S&W and yes I had to send it back three times, but now it works just fine. I like the .32 caliber and if they ever make a new one in .32 I would be interested. I also have a PP imported by Interarms but made in Germany. New in box with all the paperwork and cleaning rod etc. For carry I would use the S&W. The others are collectibles that I do shoot, but treat with TLC.

I have a S&W PPK .380 as my carry weapon and I love it. I did have a top notch technician professionally "tune" it so it operates flawlessly. I've not found or seen any other pistol that comes even close to displacing this as my carry weapon.

If I were in a "war" (concealment not relevant) then yes, there are other pistols that I far prefer (like my H&K).

As a regular weapon and for safe usage as a carry weapon, I would plan to get some practice with it and training. When you know how to use it well then the PPK is fantastic. (it also seems to help to have strong wrists / forearms)

Which PPK

A lot of good information and opinions here on which PPK is best, of course a very subjective question. My first was a stainless 1987 Interarms .380. I liked it but I didn't love it. I tried the S&W version but liked that less...it felt more bulky and I don't like the extended beavertail. Then I started looking at the older post WW2 European made ones. To me, the fit and finish on these is far superior to what came later. I have a '55 Manurhin, and an '66 Ulm. I'm now looking for the right pre-WW2 model (I don't want a Nazi era model for personal reasons). I also feel that the PPK in .32 acp is maybe the best. I don't carry them but do shoot them.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.