Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing a 380. I would like to possibly pocket carry. I have looked at the Bersa thunder cc and it seems ;ike a great gun. Today I ran across a used (very slightly if at all) PPK manufactured by Interarms serial number
A0832XX. I am not sure how old it is but it is in great shape.

They are asking 225.00. Is this OK.

Compare the two please.

I am hearing that the PPK has a much harsher recoil and I noticed that the trigger is much harder to pull. Someone else also told me about that as it pertains to the pre S&W units. It is a PPK vs a PPKS, whatever that difference is.

Your opinions [please.

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
The PPK and the PPK/S are two different pistols, regardless of whether they were made by Interarms or by Smith & Wesson. They use the same slides but the PPK/S has a taller frame and a full backstrap. It is the same size frame that was used on the PP pistols. The PPK has a shorter frame and no backstrap, hence the wrap around grips.

If you have large hands, you'll find that the Interarms pistols will scrape your shooting hand. Unless you can find a Smith & Wesson produced pistol with the extended rear tang, get the Bersa.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The nicest shooting PPK is the .32, but that is a "wimp" cartridge.

Bersa Thunder is an OK pistol, if I was staking my life on it, go with a SIG .380, its more expensive but made like a good watch.

Avoid the long tang S&W PPK, consistant quality seems to be a problem, that old Interams PPK is a good buy, but they are He** to shoot unless you have a very small, very strong hand!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Well you got me there!!!

No I would not like the stand in front of you while you lauch silvertips in my direction!! I am not as fast as I used to be, however I have more padding now so things might just even up. ;)

I shouldn't have used the "wimp" term on the .32 as that is unfair. My concern over the .32 is that it may lack enough penetration in a short barrel to reliably "get under the skin" of the problem.

While I like my LWS .32 - with the silvertips, I think the PPK with FMC would be deadlier and more reliable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a very aggressive 150+ pound Rottweiller down at the end of the block
and I still have trepidations about another confrontation with Bowser with my
380 and 88gr JHPs....round one I smashed that dog across the nose with a sawed off shovel handle that I use as a cane...with the gun for backup...but
when I went to the police after the episode, they told me to use my perogatives and that they would simply have shot the dog in my situation.
When I look at the dog I think 45acp 200gr JHPs...maybe several....so I understand your wimp comment nothwithstanding...trepidation is my concern..

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
153: I probably reacted a bit too much with my comment. Sorry if it seemed sarcastic. Actually, I think there are even BETTER rounds than the Silvertip for the .32 auto. I agree that both it and the .380 were little better than a pointed stick back 10-15 years ago. But with the advent of new ammo like the Extreme Shock stuff and the Winchester Ranger LEO T ammo, the .32 and .380 have become viable defensive weapons. As to FMJ and penetration...I prefer tissue damage and fragmenting projectiles to a small bullete that does almost no tissue damage and just pokes a tiny hole in the body. You'd need a LOT of those holes to bring a man down in a shootout.
I's still rather be carrying a hi-cap 9mm, or even better, a 1911A1 in .45ACP, than a pipsqueak like the .32 or .380, but it's just not always practical to carry a cannon :D

BTW...a while back there was a special load for the 9MM called the BAT. It stood for Blitz Action Trauma. It was made for West German GSG9 units. It looked like a regular 9MM FMJ slug. Only the bullet "nose" was actually a two-piece plastic device that split and discarded after it left the barrel. The remaining slug was zipping along at hyper velocity. One cop tested it on a Rottweiler that was charging him. He got off a lucky shot right between the eyes. The dog dropped like a rock and blood literally streamed out of both ears of the dog. Certainly a dramatic and effective kill. Too bad that ammo is no longer imported. It was pricey at $40 for a box of 50.

Here's a pic of the cartridge:

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree Deupty: having the gun and not carrying the cannon is worth a whole lot more...and certainly my PPKS is carryable...I do in a new Stinger holster
from Galco and really like it a lot...now to figure out where to put the extra mag....sounds like the Federal ammo may offer some of the effectiveness of that no longer available German stuff....too bad...

·
Banned
7,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I will anxiously await your post Deputy. I am of the belief that .32 that penetrates is better that a .380 jhp that doesn't expand or penetrate enough. Back in the 1930's the Germans had a choice of 32 or 380 and went with the 32 for police work thru the 1970's, that has to say something between the two cartridges.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
I will anxiously await your post Deputy. I am of the belief that .32 that penetrates is better that a .380 jhp that doesn't expand or penetrate enough. Back in the 1930's the Germans had a choice of 32 or 380 and went with the 32 for police work thru the 1970's, that has to say something between the two cartridges.
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5914

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts