Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing a 380. I would like to possibly pocket carry. I have looked at the Bersa thunder cc and it seems ;ike a great gun. Today I ran across a used (very slightly if at all) PPK manufactured by Interarms serial number
A0832XX. I am not sure how old it is but it is in great shape.

They are asking 225.00. Is this OK.

Compare the two please.

I am hearing that the PPK has a much harsher recoil and I noticed that the trigger is much harder to pull. Someone else also told me about that as it pertains to the pre S&W units. It is a PPK vs a PPKS, whatever that difference is.

Your opinions [please.

Thanks

· Registered
402 Posts
The PPK and the PPK/S are two different pistols, regardless of whether they were made by Interarms or by Smith & Wesson. They use the same slides but the PPK/S has a taller frame and a full backstrap. It is the same size frame that was used on the PP pistols. The PPK has a shorter frame and no backstrap, hence the wrap around grips.

If you have large hands, you'll find that the Interarms pistols will scrape your shooting hand. Unless you can find a Smith & Wesson produced pistol with the extended rear tang, get the Bersa.

· Banned
7,055 Posts
The trigger pull for the Walther can be changed (reduced) by using different springs available from Wolff. Just be sure that the gun remains reliable as you are also altering the amount of impact of the hammer on the primer.

Dep

· Registered
2,808 Posts
The nicest shooting PPK is the .32, but that is a "wimp" cartridge.

Bersa Thunder is an OK pistol, if I was staking my life on it, go with a SIG .380, its more expensive but made like a good watch.

Avoid the long tang S&W PPK, consistant quality seems to be a problem, that old Interams PPK is a good buy, but they are He** to shoot unless you have a very small, very strong hand!

· Registered
2,808 Posts
Well you got me there!!!

No I would not like the stand in front of you while you lauch silvertips in my direction!! I am not as fast as I used to be, however I have more padding now so things might just even up. ;)

I shouldn't have used the "wimp" term on the .32 as that is unfair. My concern over the .32 is that it may lack enough penetration in a short barrel to reliably "get under the skin" of the problem.

While I like my LWS .32 - with the silvertips, I think the PPK with FMC would be deadlier and more reliable.

· Registered
31 Posts
I have a very aggressive 150+ pound Rottweiller down at the end of the block
and I still have trepidations about another confrontation with Bowser with my
380 and 88gr JHPs....round one I smashed that dog across the nose with a sawed off shovel handle that I use as a cane...with the gun for backup...but
when I went to the police after the episode, they told me to use my perogatives and that they would simply have shot the dog in my situation.
When I look at the dog I think 45acp 200gr JHPs...maybe several....so I understand your wimp comment nothwithstanding...trepidation is my concern..

· Banned
7,055 Posts
153: I probably reacted a bit too much with my comment. Sorry if it seemed sarcastic. Actually, I think there are even BETTER rounds than the Silvertip for the .32 auto. I agree that both it and the .380 were little better than a pointed stick back 10-15 years ago. But with the advent of new ammo like the Extreme Shock stuff and the Winchester Ranger LEO T ammo, the .32 and .380 have become viable defensive weapons. As to FMJ and penetration...I prefer tissue damage and fragmenting projectiles to a small bullete that does almost no tissue damage and just pokes a tiny hole in the body. You'd need a LOT of those holes to bring a man down in a shootout.
I's still rather be carrying a hi-cap 9mm, or even better, a 1911A1 in .45ACP, than a pipsqueak like the .32 or .380, but it's just not always practical to carry a cannon :D

BTW...a while back there was a special load for the 9MM called the BAT. It stood for Blitz Action Trauma. It was made for West German GSG9 units. It looked like a regular 9MM FMJ slug. Only the bullet "nose" was actually a two-piece plastic device that split and discarded after it left the barrel. The remaining slug was zipping along at hyper velocity. One cop tested it on a Rottweiler that was charging him. He got off a lucky shot right between the eyes. The dog dropped like a rock and blood literally streamed out of both ears of the dog. Certainly a dramatic and effective kill. Too bad that ammo is no longer imported. It was pricey at $40 for a box of 50.

Here's a pic of the cartridge:

Dep

· Registered
31 Posts
Agree Deupty: having the gun and not carrying the cannon is worth a whole lot more...and certainly my PPKS is carryable...I do in a new Stinger holster
from Galco and really like it a lot...now to figure out where to put the extra mag....sounds like the Federal ammo may offer some of the effectiveness of that no longer available German stuff....too bad...

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I will anxiously await your post Deputy. I am of the belief that .32 that penetrates is better that a .380 jhp that doesn't expand or penetrate enough. Back in the 1930's the Germans had a choice of 32 or 380 and went with the 32 for police work thru the 1970's, that has to say something between the two cartridges.

· Banned
7,055 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.