Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on the Nill store page they list a few different variants of PPK grips:

Walther PPK Ulm / PPK Manurhin (not for PPK US prod.)
Walther PPK USA / PPK Interarms USA
Walther PPK Zella Mehlis (not for PPK US prod.)
Walther PPK, short compact version

With that in mind, meet my new (to me) PPK in 32 acp:
https://imgur.com/a/pnahqt3

Now to me, something about the fit of those grips just doesn't feel right. The gaps at the back strap and along the bottom of the slide just seem too big! Especially on the right side of the gun, I feel like I shouldn't be able to see that much of the triggery bits.

My theory would be that some collector bought this gun, snagged the original grips off of it, replaced them with different/newer/less valuable grips, and then sold it off to some unsuspecting shmuck (like me).

Am I on the right track here? And if I wanted to buy new grips, are there any other good sources for the correct Zella Mehlis grip? I'd buy from Nill but they're asking 140 dollars plus the cost of shipping from Germany so..... nope.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
are there any other good sources for the correct Zella Mehlis grip? I'd buy from Nill but they're asking 140 dollars
Not for under $140. The original grips are quite brittle so I wouldn't immediately assume that someone removed them to rip you off. I've got a set of brown, two piece postwar grips on my ZM PPK. They fit great and look pretty good to. Only a collector would know that they weren't original to the gun. It's either that or get some wood grips.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Just about any post war PPK grips made by Walther should fit your pistol just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... The original grips are quite brittle so I wouldn't immediately assume that someone removed them to RIP you off. ...

That's a fair point. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by the degradation of plastics over time."

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MastersGrips by BHSpringSolutions custom made for my carry '42 dural PPK. Was wondering about a "Walther" writing on the grip but decided it's not needed.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Now to me, something about the fit of those grips just doesn't feel right. The gaps at the back strap and along the bottom of the slide just seem too big! Especially on the right side of the gun, I feel like I shouldn't be able to see that much of the triggery bits.
The gap at the back doesn't look too bad. Have a look at my Zella-Mehlis PPK. It's possible that the grip on your PPK is indeed a replica; at least it's a one-piece grip as it should be. A look inside the grip may bring clarity. But if it is an original grip, then there is the possibility of damage during disassembly. I expressly do not advise it because the material used at that time is very delicate.

My second photo shows two Zella-Mella PPK models with one of them having two-pieces post-war grip plates. I had to modify them a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you guys had any problems with these reproduction grips while shooting?
I heard that reproduction grips can break during shooting because they are not made from bakelite material like original ones..
I have same black grips on same gun and same problem with gaps, that's why I wanna change them with war time brown wooden grain ones.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Do you guys had any problems with these reproduction grips while shooting?
I heard that reproduction grips can break during shooting because they are not made from bakelite material like original ones..
I have same black grips on same gun and same problem with gaps, that's why I wanna change them with war time brown wooden grain ones.
It's the original bakelite grips that are fragile. My 1940 PPK had cracked grips when I bought it so I replaced them with some two piece grips made in the 1960's. They look good and fit perfectly. The brown color doesn't quite match the single bakelite finger rest magazine I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's the original bakelite grips that are fragile. My 1940 PPK had cracked grips when I bought it so I replaced them with some two piece grips made in the 1960's. They look good and fit perfectly. The brown color doesn't quite match the single bakelite finger rest magazine I have.
Thank you very much! So do you think then I can change them with some reproduction grips that are made from cast phenolic resin? Do you think they will not crack or break during shooting?

I was looking to buy this grips: walter_ppk_grips

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
So do you think then I can change them with some reproduction grips that are made from cast phenolic resin? Do you think they will not crack or break during shooting?
Thanks for the link. I'm unfamiliar with that vendor but if they're being made new I would expect them to have a little more flexibility than grips that are 75+ years old. Just remember that these reproductions are still one piece and will need to be gently eased on to the pistol frame. A popsicle stick that has been thinned out on one end would be a good tool to have on hand.

I may have to order a pair myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'm unfamiliar with that vendor but if they're being made new I would expect them to have a little more flexibility than grips that are 75+ years old. Just remember that these reproductions are still one piece and will need to be gently eased on to the pistol frame. A popsicle stick that has been thinned out on one end would be a good tool to have on hand.

I may have to order a pair myself.
You're welcome! There is also another link: walter_ppk_grips_party_leader2 - here they also sell the Nazi Party Leader grips which are very wanted all arround on the RSHA or SS PPK models made during Nazi era in germany. Thank you for the informations so far, I will probably order one pair also, but currently they are not on stock and also they don't reply to any emails.. So far I have wrote 2 mails to them more than a week ago and still didn't receive any answer from them, I hope they still work and manufacture these grips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts