Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a S&W ppk .380, and i love it. the only concern is what appears to be a small chip in the frame (circled in pic) is this usually? also it seems do to the chip when i shake it back and forth i hear something rattling. after taking off slide i noticed the piece (not sure of name) next to circled chip is moving back and forth everytime i shake it, do ppk's usually have that piece so freely moveable.

any info about this 2 problems would be greatful

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just checked mine; it's a new S&W PPK just like yours with about 350 rounds through it. It looks just like yours in that area. I could be convinced that some of the frame broke away. But, when the lever in front of it (forgive me for not knowing the correct name) moves back, would any metal in that area interfere with proper operation?

If no one else weighs in, I'll go to Gander Mountain and check on a NIB PPK\S that they just got.

Thanks for the post, I didn't notice it.
Benny

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just checked my '72' model PP, .32 calliber, German made, no import marks. On it, that area has been finely cut, it's a clean cut rather than the rough "break" as on the PPK. I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the S&W version is ok, just not done to the fine detail as the German version.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply, also does your ppk make any noise when u shake it, that lever that one we are talking about (not sure of name) seems to moving back and forth making a slight clicking noise. is this normal?

thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi
Yes it does; when I shake it in an up and down manner I can hear that lever moving. If I shake it side to side, I don't hear anything. Same for my PP.
Somewhere, I read or heard that the frame of the S&W PPK and PPK\S is actually a Ruger casting. Apparently, Ruger has the casting process perfected. I know that Ruger revolvers are just about indestructible, so I hope the PPK will be as well.

Thanks again for the post, good shooting,
Benny

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
As to the Ruger casting......
Earl has told me the same about the PPK/S, though I am not sure anymore if he was reffering to the S&W or the Interarms one......

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 1966 West German PP and mine has a neat cutout in the area you describe. You can almost expect the German workmanship to be a little better. I would not lose any sleep being concerned about it.......don

·
Registered
713 Posts
Once again my trusty on Interarms has showen It was made properly It also
" area has been finely cut, it's a clean cut" People I belive the Interarms as close to the German workmanship. Better than this S&W anyway. I didn't notice a rattle either. I not knocking the S&W but they do seem to be a little less in QC.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If I shake the frame with the slide off, that lever, the ejector, rattles back and forth.  No big deal...

-stunks

EDIT: My S&W PPK is finely cut, not "chipped" looking, like the pictures. I guess we can hope for more consistency

·
Registered
34 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blitzkriegz @ May 23 2006,12:01)]thanks, thats great to know, actually when i put the safety on and shake it there is no noise.
Well, that figures, doesn't it. This lever prevents you from pulling the trigger when the safety is on: it moves up when the trigger is pulled, but it can not when the safety catch is on, so you can't fire.

Your trigger mechanism differs a lot from my german PP.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 1938 PPK has the same area cut out. The cut on mine is machined and professional, not looking like it was hacked out by Fred Flintstone on the one pictured initially!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Well after all this, I looked on my '83 .22lr PP.....
it is milled also in that area...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts