Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

My first pistol was a Walther P-22. I wanted a PPK but couldn't afford it at the time. Now, 8 pistols have been added to the collection but no PPK yet :(

I want one for daily carry - so all of the "collector" type of PPK's will have to wait. That said, I'm looking for an S&W but would love to have your advice regarding the following:

1) PPK or PPK/S - For me, the extra round doesn't mean much. Does the smaller PPK conceal and carry easier? Or is the larger PPK/S easier to control and shoot accurately? Perhaps the difference between the two is negligible? Which do you prefer and why?

2) Grips - have you found a certain style of grip better for carry? Not looking for fancy collector type grips but functional, "shoot the gun better" style grips. I know it's a personal preference, but that's what I'm asking; What is your personal preference for carry: wood? rubber? plastic? and I was thinking, the PPK has been out forever - aren't there any Crimson Trace laser grips out for it yet? Then I saw the laser grip thread below. Has anybody tried these on a PPK yet? If so, is it worth the expensive cost?

I really appreciate any insights that you might have for choosing a PPK or PPK/S for carry!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
With the extended tang on the S&W, its apples and oranges whether you buy a PPK or PPK/S. The PPK/S with the steel backstrap is heavier, which helps with recoil, but the main problem with previous incarnations of the Walther PP series is the short tang and the .380 equalled "bite" to the web of the hand.

The PPK/S holds one more round than the PPK.

The PPK could be rendered unshootable if you dropped it and the grips shattered. This doesn't happe alot, but Deputy, one of our most knowledgeable posters has been plagued with unexplained disintegration of his stock plastic grips, so wood replacements by Hogue or Nill would seem to be in order.

I prefer checkered grips, others smooth. While the S&W version of the PPK seems to have teething problems, they do seem to preform well once you are past them.

Just check that new S&W over good before you walk out of the store with it!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
PPK or PPK/S. The extra round could be important if the ones you fired before it missed or didn't get the job done ;) .32 auto and .380 are marginal mankillers at best.

Does the smaller PPK conceal and carry easier?
I would say only marginally so. The size difference is too small to really matter that much.

Or is the larger PPK/S easier to control and shoot accurately?
I find that they are almost identical as far as control and accuracy. The new S&W versions have the longer tang which makes shooting quite enjoyable.

Perhaps the difference between the two is negligible?
I think you are on the money there.

Which do you prefer and why?
I bought the S&W PPK in .32auto. Recoil is very easy to control and the gun is a ball to shoot. Plus there's always the "James Bond Factor". :D

Grips - have you found a certain style of grip better for carry?
Ohhhh boy...don't get me started on the notorious "S&W Zytel melting grips"!!!:mad: I switched to Hogue smooth Kingwood grips. I LOVE them!!! They feel great and fit the hand perfectly. They are only slightly thicker than the factory plastic grips. They cost $55. Worth every penny.

AFAIK, no Crimson Trace grips for the PPK.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
489 Posts
If the gun will always be a prime CCW gun, I would go with the PPK/S.
If sometime in the future you see moving to a regular duty-sized gun in 9mm Para or higher, and use the Walther as a backup or pocket gun, I would go with the PPK

·
Registered
69 Posts
PPK/S-1

I am one who has had "teething" problems with my PPK/S-1 by S&W.
I think I am on the way to a cure now.

I am one who doesn't like to use factory ammunition for any firearm, unless
absolutely necessary for one reason or another. For my carry gun, which
must be fired a lot in practice, I must use my reloads because I can't afford
to practice with ammunition that costs more than $1.00 per round!

I took the little gun shooting yesterday. While testing a couple of different
loads, I noticed the gun shifting in my grip. The most important thing for now
is to get it shooting reliably.

I have replaced the factory grips with a set of composite grips called "Black
Walnut" grips that I got at a gun show in El Paso. They are smooth grips.
The gun has enough recoil that it was shifting in my hand. So it looks like I
need some checkered grips, or perhaps some friction tape on the right side.

The Hogue wooden grips that Deputy purchased are very good looking, but
are also smooth. If Hogue makes checkered wood grips, they would be the
way to go!

L8'er, TP

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Hogue does make checkered grips for the PPK and PPK/S. Checkering is a personal preference for most. My personal experience with checkering is it hasn't really prevented movement of the gun in my hand. I have had one factory checkered wooden grip on a Colt Python that was like holding a rasp in my hand. I switched to a Colt Pachmayr rubber grip and solved that problem. My PPK is .32auto and recoil is almost non-existent (for me). So I went with smooth grips. I REALLY like how they feel. Now I gotta get out to the range and run a box of Winnie Silvertips through it to test feel and functionality of grips and ammo. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Hogue does make checkered grips for the PPK and PPK/S. Checkering is a personal preference for most. My personal experience with checkering is it hasn't really prevented movement of the gun in my hand. I have had one factory checkered wooden grip on a Colt Python that was like holding a rasp in my hand. I switched to a Colt Pachmayr rubber grip and solved that problem. My PPK is .32auto and recoil is almost non-existent (for me). So I went with smooth grips. I REALLY like how they feel. :)

As stated, the S&W version of the PPK/S is a solid choice for personal carry. The gun is accurate out of the box and reliable once you break it in a bit. (I've fired hundreds of rounds through mine without a single issue.) Others find the external finger safety to be a comfort.

With Dep's grip issues in mind, I would definitely recommend taking a look at alternatives once you get your firearm. You can pursue all sorts of avenues. Here's a good source at an excellent price at the moment:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/walther1.html

I ordered a set of the Zebra checkered grips two weeks ago and liked them so much that I just ordered a second pair, plus a set of the Coco Bolo grips. You can never be too rich, nor too thin, nor have too many Walthers and too many sets of grips to dress then in, as the saying goes. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's exactly why I bought my PPK. It fits nicely in basically any pocket.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that a well-placed JHP in .380 should be fine to stop an attacker.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My often carry is the PPK/S-1. It fits in the front pocket of most of my cargo shorts, using a pocket holster, and is easy to access. If not in the shorts, I use a Safepacker, which also works well.

As cooler weather comes, I will probably choose another carry method.

The PPK/S-1 is my best "small shooter" and we are good with each other. I enjoy and trust it. I've been using WWB, blunt nose ammo, and have had no problems.

I'm also using the factory grips and have no issues with them. Will admit, however, the wood grips look better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Am currently carrying a S&W PPK in .380. It had some problems with poor finish work out of the box, and the firing pin spring was installed backwards. I purchased it from a shop that had two Interarms and three S&Ws. The S&W seemed to have a much smoother DA trigger, and I was told by the shop owner that Smith had done some tweeking to it as well as extending the beavertail.
I did wind up polishing the ramp and smoothing out the underside of the beavertail a bit. End result is I'm very happy with it. I shoot it just as well DA as SA, and haven't had any problems in the last 500 rds (have 650 or so total through her).
Am using the factory plastic grips for now (I'm too cheap to buy wood grips, and I'm not sure they'll improve my shooting).
I'm carrying 4 oclock in a Kydex holster, but it is slowly putting a blem on the bead-blasted area of the slide. I'd recommend leather.
I'm OK with 7rds of .380 for self defense, especially when you factor in accuracy. In my opinion, shot placement trumps horsepower. Just get a good hollow point that feeds well.
Overall, if you're willing to break it in good, go for it. My only real gripe is that it seems to have more nooks and crannies come cleaning time, than some of the newer designs. I can live with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New guy here. Does my Interarms PPK/S use the same grips as the S&W?

I have the .380, and it is a cool little pistol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've carried the ppk/s for about 4 years, and I love it. It fits so well on me I dont even know it there half of the time. A lot of ppl say the .380 isnt enough for CCW personal defence but I differ on that one. If you buy the right ammo you should be fine. I've found 2 that I like here they are http://www.dakotaammo.net/ http://www.magsafeonline.com/ they dont look too bad really. I've read a lot of reviews on thos ammos and they preform very well. Anyways I like the ppk/s for the extra round and the dove tail and just a lot of reasons really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts