Walther Forums banner

PPK ejector failures

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  ViperR 
#1 ·
How often do PPK ejectors fail by shooting loose. I've had to replace 2 now and additional replacements are becoming unobtainium. I hesitate to use my .32 or .22 because they could become nothing more than paperweights for me until I find a replacement.

Is there anything I should be looking for that might signal that the ejector was about to launch itself into no mans land. AND what can I do about it before this happens again?

rmc

#2 ·
Do you mean ejector (and slide stop) or extractor? If so, how does the ejector shoot out when sandwiched between the slide and the frame? Was the frame machined improperly to house the piece correctly?

Reactions: halfmoonclip
#5 ·
The usual causes are incorrect installation (keeper plunger not correctly oriented to the extractor, or one of the extractor spring plungers missing); or incorrect or lame extractor spring (i.e., too short).

Check those first. Aluminum cases have nothing to do with it.

M

#8 ·
I said "nothing to do with it", but that's not quite right. If you compare the extractor grooves in the cartridge cases, a significant difference might be a causal factor contributing to loss of the extractor, especially if the loss is accompanied by a stovepipe jam.

Aluminum cases also don't have the mass of brass cases and don't eject with as much authority when they strike the ejector in recoil. If the fired case gets pinched in the ejection port when the slide closes it might shove back the extractor enough to dismount it.

However, until the OP says he was using Blazer aluminum, my bet is on the more probable causes mentioned.

M

#9 ·
Anybody know if the new Ft. Smith PPK extractors would work in one of the older models? It doesn't help me with the .22 (that I use most because of ammunition costs) but knowing that a Ft. Smith extractor would work would allow the .32 to get more workouts.

#13 · (Edited)
Mike, thnx. Can't say I've ever heard of empirical data on the subject.
It does beg the question, aluminum being both lighter and cheaper than brass, why is it not more common as a case material? For military purposes the weight issue would add up, as would the cost.
From a circumstantial point of view, there has to be a reason. Also, in my experience, aluminum is Berdan primed, which seems counter intuitive; two holes, stamped in anvil.
Moon

#15 ·
...Why are aluminum cases Berdan primed? I don't know that either, but I strongly suspect the main reason is to discourage reloading them.

M
Yeah, that makes sense, tho' Berdan priming has always mystified me; reputedly German wartime ammo was Berdan.

Our late range officer would have tried to reload about anything.
Moon

#18 ·
Well, CCI Blazer's are aluminum cased and Berdan primed, so those weak case can't be reloaded (unless some fool would go through the trouble).
These cases are very rough and dull on the outside. Could bind upon expansion and ejection.
I think this is what the he was talking about. Never had a problem with them in 9mm, 45acp or .380, but never shot any out of a Walther in any caliber.
Just a cheaper alternative for range ammo that CCI made.

#21 ·
We spoonerized the "No brass, no ammo" part. ;)
Have to believe that there is good reason not to use aluminum in rifle cases especially; higher pressure, higher residual pressure, and temperature for three.
Moon

#22 · (Edited)
Brass is also more suitable for creating trench art and melting into tables, trays, spoons and vases;)

PS: After losing a pre-war PPK extractor, I now just stay away from .32 & .380 aluminum cartridges in my PPK pistols. They get fed only the finest (brass cartridges) chow. [When I owed a Makarov PM (also a blow back) it would eat brass/alum/steel like M&Ms.]

#24 ·
... [When I owed a Makarov PM (also a blow back) it would eat brass/alum/steel like M&Ms.]
ComBlock arms were designed to be peasant-proof and run on the steel cased junk. Western arms were designed to be more selective in their eating habits. I don't try to run the Beemer on kerosene.
Moon

Reactions: 93978
#27 · (Edited)
I don't know, but my guess is the .32 extractors Fort Smith has on hand as spare parts are likely Smith & Wesson .32 extractors. Check the tables of vintage Walther sellers at your next big gun show. The guys who specialize in selling vintage Walthers are good sources of parts and magazines. The gun show guy I've bought my Walthers from, over the years, will even do minor repairs on the spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.