Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Whatever it is, it's very heavy and, unless you're a gorilla, it's damned near useless.

Cock the hammer with your free thumb as you're bringing the gun up in a two-hand hold and hit something with that first shot.

M

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In that vein, if your thumb slips off the hammer while you are pulling the hammer back, do you know if it can discharge or does it just drop back to the decock position?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Unless you are holding the trigger back, the hammer cannot beat the sear, hammer block and trigger back to battery. Just like on an S&W revolver.

And your finger should not be on the trigger until you're ready to fire, yes?

M

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The DA trigger on my Walther's are a bit stiff, but still quite usable for a quick -up close shot!

I would avoid the "John Wayne" ;) notion of cocking the hammer as you draw the pistol....it defeats the "revolutionary" DA mechanism that made the Walther famous, and despite the fact the pistol isn't supposed to go off ....well in a stressed situtation, Murphy likes to mess with things like your trigger finger.

Besides when the gun goes off the butt end of that nasty, jagged, and very sharp slide flies back very fast and very hard. If your fingers are not where they are supposed to be .....OUCH! :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I would avoid the "John Wayne" notion of cocking the hammer as you draw the pistol...]

153: That's not what I wrote. I suggested using the thumb of the FREE hand, not the hand holding the pistol. If you normally use a two-hand hold, the extra digit will be RIGHT THERE when the gun comes up. And if you don't have a good grip on the gun, you're not ready to shoot effectively anyway.

Given the really heavy (and muzzle-disruptive) DA pull on most postwar PP-series pistols, I would be more concerned with getting off the first round accurately than with doctrinal adherance to the DA Revolution.

But...you will fight as you train, so to each his own. I made my choice 30 years ago.

M

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Hmmmm...the cocking of the PPK is an interesting subject. I certainly like the single action pull of the pistol with the hammer back, and it WILL aid in hitting the target. But on the other hand, the PPK and other pocket pistols of this type were made for very close encounters. So cocking the hammer, and even using the sights, probably isn't necessary. At very close range they become "belly guns", and I don't mean that as a description of where they are carried. ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
117 Posts
In my concealed carry class we were taught to use the DA because in a high stress situation you lose the fine motor skills necesarry to easily cock the hammer. It also takes out one link in your reaction process.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
In my concealed carry class we were taught to use the DA because in a high stress situation you lose the fine motor skills necesarry to easily cock the hammer. It also takes out one link in your reaction process.
Most of the folks in my CCW class used 1911A1 pistols, so they were already cocked and locked. All you did was flip off the safety and shoot. But those few using revolvers and DA pistols all had to use double action. I agree with the what you say Dave. Makes sense.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trigger pull measurements

Has anyone measured their PPK's DA pull weight or know what the factory estimate is?
Assuming you are referring to the S&W built piece, the Walther USA website gives the DA as 13.4 lbs with the SA at 6 pounds. On my stainless S&W PPK/s , the DA exceeded the range of my Lyman trigger pull gauge which is 12 pounds but it was beginning to pull the trigger so 13.4 sounds in the ball park. My SA pull was an average of 4 lbs, 13.5 oz. for five tries.

My German .22 PPK/s averaged 4 lbs 7.5 oz on SA but with more take up and not quite as smooth. The DA was again off the chart but it feels comparable to the S&W version.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I've done some DA work with each at 7 yards and you'll definitely give the other guy pause on that first round.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shaken:
I think my S&W PPK SA pull is probably 4 1/2 - 5 lbs; it is very light and smooth.
My DA pull is probably about 13 1/2, but it just seems like 16. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts