Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my PPK as a home defense gun; I live in an apartment and a .380 is about as powerful as I want to go. I was keeping the PPK oiled and in a gun rug, but the oil would get wicked out in a day by the cotton lining of the gun rug. I tried grease, but I think I'd rather keep it oiled.
I've come up with a solution, I hope. I took the wax paper that the PPK was shipped in and lined the gun rug with it. Hopefully, now the oil will stay in place for a week or so. Anyone else ever done this? Opinions / suggestions please.
Thanks, Benny

·
Registered
821 Posts
is your PPK stainless?

If you're using a teflon lube, like RemOil or BreakFree, rest assured the teflon stays behind as the oil dries.

I grease the rails of my PPK and use remoil elsewhere.  Over time, the remoil seems to have left a teflon base coating that's more than enough to get a person through a few magazines before a malfunction.

As for the grease, it'll stay on the rails of the PPK, no problem.

-stunks

P.S. make sure you shake your bottle/can of teflon lube before you apply it to remix the teflon particles with the oil

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
One of those silicon impregnated cloths / socks may be a good alternative too.

·
Registered
821 Posts
+1

Agreed!

The silicone cloth will help keep the exterior of the gun from rusting, yet it will not feel like its sopping with oil.

-stunks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Results of wax paper experiment: 4 days, and the oil is still there. One other thing, rather than lay the gun rug, with the PPK inside, on its side, I'm keeping it stowed in a night stand drawer (rather than on top) slide down, bottom of grip up. 4 days is a lot better than one day, and it looks like it'll be good for another day or two right now. I'm using Hoppe's oil, it's what I had on hand. As soon as I get to the store, I'll get some RemOil and a silicon sock and try to extend the time frame even more. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It all seems to me like a good deal of attention is spent on keeping it oiled. My experience with various German(including Manurhin-made, of course) and Interarms products is that they don't really require such dedication. As long as it is rather hot, Euro-like ammo that it is being fed, I did not had any problems directly related to the guns being kept well-oiled. Of course, they were all broken-in. Some more than others. Let me put it another way. Without being careless, any gun that could not withstand being dry without adequate functioning, was a 'goner' in my book. Sure, the PPs and the PPKs are gone but only because I got really tired of being bitten. My PP Super, at times, meekly asks for some CLP.

The way I see it, a gun is a dear companion. It should not require excess, time-consuming, undue, let-me-check-it-out-every-now-and-then attention and if it complains, well, that's what wives and kids are for.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html
A dab here and there, and it's done. Even cures hiccups and tennis elbow, irregularity and some spasms.

I'd just fire the darn thing until it loosens up sufficiently. Then reward its functioning with a good CLP. Every 200-250 rounds or so.

·
Registered
713 Posts
All this for what. I have 2 PPK/S and both are carried I use a very small amount of grease . Just a dab on slide rails I put a couple drops of oil on outside of barrel and rub on with my fingers. Thats it They work every time I can carry a couple weeks and they will shoot. You makeing a lot of hassel for no reason. I used Castrol wheelbearing grease for years Now I have miltech 1 and frankly I don't see a difference. Both work . Forget the oil . If you want to protech the finish wipe once a day with a silcone cloth or everytime you handle.
Also if you think 380 won't go through a lot of dry wall you are sadly mistaken. I would think 8 or 9 with out to much trouble Ball a couple more.
380 not the wimpy bullet people tend to think it is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Points well taken. If a little thought and attention to details might help, I say why not. Not complaining here; heck, it would be easier to switch to a J frame or something. I like the Walther and I plan to use it. From what I've read, the hollow points I'm using should generate about 170 ft pounds of enengy. I don't want any more power than that. Any less? .32, .22 Mag, maybe in the summer, but not in the winter.

·
Registered
763 Posts
FWIW, this one should be more than adequate to do the job,
https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop...._id=257

With five rounds, you should know if it wil work in your S&W. To make extra sure that it does, I'd do this. First, polish the feed ramp. Polish not grind. Second, leave the slide out. Third, insert loaded mag. Fourth, with your finger and a little pressure, push out the first round.

If it's working properly, the round will fly out and insert itself in the chamber as if the chamber was magnetized. Take out the chambered round and repeat as much as you like. It actually looks sort of funny the way the round inserts itself in the chamber. As if by magic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts