Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting this one out to the forum for those who collect/research old Walther PPK pistols. I purchased a Walther PPK in .22 caliber pre-war but it has a 7 digit serial number (Million number series). Does anyone know if this is common? How do I get a hold of James Rankin? According to his book, these are only in 7.65.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Welcome to the board. How about posting some photos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any information?

I will take pics, but in the meantime what is the story in a .22 7 digit serial number?

·
Registered
821 Posts
No. Not common at all. In fact, I would have suspected a mismatch slide and frame somehow, but just trying to exchange the slide of my .22 in 198xxxK range with an RZM frame didn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, it matches. The numbers are etched with a "136". The "1" is typical on the million series to represent the first number bc it's a million. The next two numbers are "36" representing the last two digits of the serial number. Typically on 6 digit serials the last three numbers are etched, this is not the case for million series.

Either way, the frame is a .22 caliber frame and will not accept a .32 or .380 slide or mag. And it has the 7 digit serial number. Bottom line, .22 caliber frame with a 7 digit serial number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the pics Walter PPK .22 Million Series

I finally got a chance to post these. The frame is a .22 and is million series marked (7 digits). Also the slide is Zella-Mehlis (Thur) marked "Cal .22", "Made in Germany". Any takers on how rare this is? Once again, Rankin's book says these were only made in 7.65, this would be a game changer.

Anyone can email me directly at [email protected]. I would really like to get a hold of James Rankin and get his opinion. Sephen Stepan basically tells me he has no records of this existing (paraphrasing).

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lastly, to clarify, the inside of the slide is etched "136". From what I remember the million series etchings began with a "1" and then had the last two of the serial numbers. Normal 6 digit etchings had the last three of the serial numbers.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I finally got a chance to post these. The frame is a .22 and is million series marked (7 digits). Also the slide is Zella-Mehlis (Thur) marked "Cal .22", "Made in Germany". Any takers on how rare this is? Once again, Rankin's book says these were only made in 7.65, this would be a game changer.

Anyone can email me directly at [email protected]. I would really like to get a hold of James Rankin and get his opinion. Sephen Stepan basically tells me he has no records of this existing (paraphrasing).
Lastly, to clarify, the inside of the slide is etched "136". From what I remember the million series etchings began with a "1" and then had the last two of the serial numbers. Normal 6 digit etchings had the last three of the serial numbers.
Rare? Well I haven't heard of one and they made nine thousand or so of the million series. You might wait to hear from Dieter Marschall. I think his records are more extensive than Jim Rankin's. And perhaps more reliable? Eh Stephen? And if no one has recorded one, then yours would be a first.

IMO, .22s are liked as shooters unless they have some kind of presentation or unit markings, like NSKK.

I don't know where you read that million series matching slide numbers began with a 1 and then the last two digits. My presentation million series is scratched 912 to match the last three digits of the frame. My .22 slide has some very odd scratched marks in the lowest recess panel on the inside of the slide. I had not noticed before, but I guess to lower the weight of the slide for .22 rounds, the inside of the slide has several narrow parallel panels milled out. It presents a problem to find a flat surface with sufficient size to scratch out those three numbers. Are the three digits found on your slide scratched in one of the panels or elsewhere inside the slide?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks joe, I thought I read that in an article or forum guess I was wrong. You are correct about limited space for etchings all I can do is describe what I see which resembles an upside down "V" which I originally thought looked like a European "1". It could be its an attempt for a "0" in the small space provided. Second digit is definitely a "3", third digit resembles a squished "6" or a "0" with a line diagonay through it. How do I get a hold of Dietrich?

Speaking of NSKK I also have a PP with NSKK logo on it. How rare are those and what would an 80% finish go for?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I mentioned your PPK to Dieter in an email. Hopefully he will sign in. Tom Whiteman has an NSKK PP in 95% for $4250 on his website. I don't know what kind of a discount an 80% finish would cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much. I was curious on both guns as to how rare they both are. I will wait to hear back from you. I also have a PDM as well in very good condition I understand there were only 400 or so of those made?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you very much for your reply. I was hoping this was the only one but that is not the case. Do you know where that other one is located? My serial number is 100-5036. I think it is safe to say however there are very few in existence, would you say that to be true?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts