Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am thinking of spending the money on a german ppk that I intend to carry and shoot at the range. What is considered the better pistol, the .380 or the .32. Is there that much difference in stopping power? I have heard the .32 is more reliable than the .380 and there is the extra round for whatever that is worth. What is your opinion. (p.s. I do not like the s&w ppk, though i could live with the ppk/s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMHO the 380 is a better round for self defense, although by no means is it a great self defense round with todays bullets it is better than it used to be. The 32 just doesnt have enough punch. I read somewhere that some people think the 32 is better because it penetrated deeper in some water or gelitan teste, but I have seen numeroius gun shot wounds when I worked as an EMT. I just ordered a PPK/s in 380 so I put my money where my mouth is. Also the PPK is a pretty reliable design and most jams in any auto is magazine related.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you want to play the odds with reliability, the .32 will always be more reliable. I am not sure there is a big enough difference between 32 and 380 to give up the reliability edge, and also accurate follow up shots are easier with the 32 because of less muzzle flip. If you want a reliable 380, save several hundred dollars and get a Bersa Thunder. I can't describe it, but there is just something "sweet" about the feel of shooting a PPK or PPK/s in 32 caliber. The 380 is just a little too jaring for lack of a better word in the ppk platform, IMHO

Also, there is no comparison between the German and American made ppk's. The German ones have more craftsmanship with regards to melting edges and fit and finish. That's why you pay more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is easier to find a german ppk or a ppk/s in .32cal and they are a little less expensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (zonadrill @ Dec. 14 2005,13:53)]Hi. I am thinking of spending the money on a german ppk that I intend to carry and shoot at the range. What is considered the better pistol, the .380 or the .32. Is there that much difference in stopping power? I have heard the .32 is more reliable than the .380 and there is the extra round for whatever that is worth. What is your opinion. (p.s. I do not like the s&w ppk, though i could live with the ppk/s).
There is a difference in "stopping power", yes. The .32ACP is an outmoded cartridge, really. Today's .380 is just about as powerful as some 9mm's, and all manner of JHP and JSP exist to complement your pistol. As with any weapon, ask yourself for what reason you are acquiring it (ex. I got my PPK/S as a range toy). I have fired the PPK in .32, as well as my PPK/S in .32 and .380, so I'll give you my review:

The .32 is a nice little round. It's certainly a useable cartridge for purposes of self-defense, if you value shot placement. It's peppy, and you will feel a good amount of muzzle flip and recoil with the PPK and PPK/S, more than a .25 or .22LR, but certainly controllable with practice. There are lots of good, cheap German PPK's and PPK/S's in .32.

The .380 is small, yet very hot round. You can get ammunition from 80-something gr to over 100gr ! This makes it a very heavy, powerful round in a blowback action, with significant muzzle flip and recoil. It's is a worthy self-defense cartridge. The PPK/S hurts after 75-100 shots of .380, I'm finding out. If you really want a .380 for backup or carry, I suggest you try out the Glock G28 or the Bersa Thunder, as someone else mentioned.

Come back and let us know what you purchased !

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would also, I know there are alot of inexpensive PP's in .32, I got one for $260. The only ppk's(german) I have seen are in 380 and go from $650 up to $1600 NIB, since these must be pre 1968 imports. I have also found pre war PPK's for around $850, but I would not trust one that old for a self defense carry gun.

·
Registered
713 Posts
So are you willing to pay the price for that used German(french made) gun. If so have at it. I love my PPK/S as much as next guy BUT I will not pay collector price for a used carry gun. Mine is a Interarms Ive had it a while. If I was looking to buy I guess it would be the S&W unless I found another really cheap Interarms . I would get the 380 for 2 reasons better choice in ammo and can't get PPK/S in full 9mm. If you look around you will find where I said bad things about the S&W last year but now it appears they have got their ducks in a row .
As for the Bersa it a nice pistol but not in the class of a PPK/S . Sorry that fact. In case you don't know I can be found at Bersa Talk several times a day as I take care of the board. I like my Bersa but a PPK/S it not. Bersa is my practice pistol and PPK/S is my carry pistol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I could lighten it up by a few Ozs
And then bake it a 170 degrees for 35 minutes
BTW
I know were theres a German .380 PPK/S that's missing the grips & magazine, Price $300.. Should I go back & look at it again??
It's blued with about 80% finish left..
Hey I have a extra blued magazine & grips.. Hhhhmmmmmm!!!!
Could be worth it!!
I'm gonna call there tomarrow..
B92

1 - 11 of 11 Posts