Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been all over the internet looking for someone who has "suppressed"
a PPK "successfully" and have found nothing.

I know, I know...

Terrible host, too loud, blow-back design not good...

but my last question still goes unanswered...

I know that the factory recoil springs are 20 lbs.
Would a heavier spring, such as 24 lbs Wolf, help aid the imfamous "ejector bark"?

I am desparate to accomplish the suppression of the famed Walther PPK.

If we can figure this out, or even if we never come to the perfect setup,
I plan to suppress my own PPK just to spite the fact that no one wants to suppress one.

I have the Galco Executive Shoulder rig i recieved a few days ago and I plan to do a review of my whole rig and range report in the near future.

So...

How about those recoil springs?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Walther book has images of suppressors. It certainly can be done. Unfortunately it's illegal to own a suppressor in certain states.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The 7.65 and the TPH and the two most considered candidates for suppression.

Hey...all of us may have a Holy Grail for which we seek and mine is a stainless PPK/S in 22lr.....which is about as common as the real Holy Grail. I have determined to build my own (or as close as I can get to one).

Endeavor to persevere sonof.....seek and ye shall find..............maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol indeed.

But does anyone have the answer to my first question?

Will a stiffer, heavier recoil spring help slow down the slide on a .380 PPK so it is not as loud?

Or should i consider saving for the 7.65mm and just suppress that instead?

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
The feeding cycle of the PP series in .380 is a carefully orchestrated ballet of bullet weight/velocity and slide mass/recoil spring strength.

Change any one of those significantly and you're almost certainly asking for trouble. The .32 does have a wider margin for error in the feeding cycle. At least both are subsonic at normal velocities.

As an aside, the locked-breech 1911, when fitted for a suppressor, often had a modded safety that could be engaged without blocking the FTG. This kept the slide closed for complete silence, and also kept the casing in the gun.

I'd suggest that sonafagun be in touch with a Class III dealer or someone with real experience with suppressed weapons. They seem to be as much art as science. I'm in the process of SBRing a 9mm carbine, and I may consider a suppressor as well. There are lots of hoops to jump thru'.
Moon

ETA- You could really make yourself crazy and try for one of those silenced revolvers!
M

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think a different recoil spring will significantly reduce the noise - maybe a bit less, if combined with a light load - which would have to be a reload (just my opinion).

PPK's lend themselves to suppression because the velocity is below the sound barrier. AWC used to make a suppressor called the Warp 3 - I think it has been updated recently. I'm sure there must be others. Do a Google search on AWC Warp 3 suppressor for PPK. Seems to be lots of info out there, forums, etc. If you live in a state where suppressors are legal, manufacturers like AWC should be able to tell you about the steps necessary to legally purchase and own a suppressor - federal forms, tax, etc. I've not really looked into it, but at the gun shows I've attended, there's been "the suppressor guy" who knows all about the procedures for procurement.

--Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts