Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant find any info about them chrome plated ppk 380 on layaway at a reputiable shop but no WWW. shows any info except a site called collectorsarmoury.com but they sell repos
serial # is 3030ssk am i getting ripped??? it even got the luftwaffen wings stamped VERY small on the side

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Who can say if you are getting ripped? Are they asking $50 or $500, or $5,000? You'll have to tell us a whole bunch more. Just know that if the pistol is truly chrome-plated, it's a 100% certainty that the work wasn't done by Walther.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I know they produced a few chrome-plated German PPK's or PPK/S's. While I was seeking a similar answer on one that wound-up being Nivel....I think MG Mike may have been the one that pointed me to a website that had them listed, but as I recall....it was in German. I am of German heritage, but we forgot how to speak the language many years ago.

If that is a re-plate aftermarket job on that PP.....they did one hell-of-a-good job. On the other hand....it simply looks too nice to be "native".

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If that is a re-plate aftermarket job on that PP.....they did one hell-of-a-good job. On the other hand....it simply looks too nice to be "native".
That's what I thought. But it you look at the letters, they seem crisp and not "rounded" or filled in. It is an immaculate specimen.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If the link in Post No. 3 is correct, that might not be a chrome-plated pistol at all. It might be the Nivel finish that has been referenced a number of times. Milspec has such a pistol; it's one of my favorites to admire from afar. This looks nice as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
Nice (dare we say perfect?) as it looks, I can't imagine you were much hurt at $440.
It surely does not appear to be 'refinish' by the appearance, and it's hard to imagine why anyone would hardchrome it for as great as the condition appears.
Let us know what you find out.
Moon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I would bet Nivel, but one clue would be the complete and total plating of everything in and on the gun.....springs and all. I see some blued parts on that gun.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chrome ppk

well after more checking and not seeing any chrome pistols i decided to get my layaway refunded.. $300 price for the pistol was $479 plus tax i was ok with that bc i was really diggin the looks and feel of the pistol..the serial number check says mid 1940s.. 3030--k...but not seeing any guns that looked like the one i was buying EXCEPT for the repo...which is identical except it wont fire... down to the exact lanyard loop ..gave me a bad feeling...so i bought a $175 makorov to keep me company for the time being....
the beautiful pistol on gun broker it just that beautiful .. mine was a war prize with an after market chrome job:eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
Oh, jeeze, not one of those "...specially chrome plated for Hermann Goring..." guns!
Assumed the one on GB was the one you were looking at; that thing was neat.
Moon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts