Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine is selling his dad's PPK in .22 and came to me first. It looks virtually new. His dad wrote the date on the box, so I guess that is the era he bought it (?). It says 1965.
He thinks $2000 is what he wants. I am no expert, but it sounds fair. Any comments?

thanks, fuzzy

Registered
I鈥檝e seen a mint condition, .22 PPK-L sell for $2800 in past year. It was a 1965.

However, if I recall correctly, it was unfired.

Registered
Somewhere shy of $1,800 seems to be the going rate for one in VG to EXC condition. I recently paid $1,600 for such a one. A few pictures of it, especially the date code on the barrel and such would help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Jeepers, That is quite a range: 800-2800. Sorry I don't have pictures but I will ask him to send some (he is a day's drive to the north). I saw the gun a few years ago and it in was excellent +, so as I expected, the price is in the ballpark. Because he is such a good friend, I won't haggle, I will either take it or pass. BTW Cas, what is a PPK-L?

thanks again,
fuzzy

Registered
Thanks for the input guys. Jeepers, That is quite a range: 800-2800. Sorry I don't have pictures but I will ask him to send some (he is a day's drive to the north). I saw the gun a few years ago and it in was excellent +, so as I expected, the price is in the ballpark. Because he is such a good friend, I won't haggle, I will either take it or pass. BTW Cas, what is a PPK-L?

thanks again,
fuzzy
As far as I know, the L simply denotes that the firearm has aluminum alloy frame as opposed to steel. Ive shot one before but I don鈥檛 own one (I prefer steel)... it is lightweight, which produces a bit more recoil.

Registered
The date code (if there is one at all) isn't stamped on the barrel (there you will only find the nitro proof mark only) but on the frame.
Do you know if there is any rhyme or reason to why some two digit dates are on the barrel and some two character codes are on the frame? Did it switch from barrel to frame during a certain year? I saw a 1965 Ppk that had a 65 on barrel and just the eagle on the frame... but I鈥檝e seen others not like that. I鈥檝e even got a lil eagle on my barrel further down than the normal place (it鈥檚 on my 78).

Premium Member
Do you know if there is any rhyme or reason to why some two digit dates are on the barrel and some two character codes are on the frame? Did it switch from barrel to frame during a certain year? I saw a 1965 Ppk that had a 65 on barrel and just the eagle on the frame... but I鈥檝e seen others not like that. I鈥檝e even got a lil eagle on my barrel further down than the normal place (it鈥檚 on my 78).
Through the ejection port you can't see the barrel itself but the barrel hood which is part of the frame. You can verify it by removing the barrel from the gun.

On models proofed after 1977, you'll notice the date code on a different position but still on the frame. On these guns it's between the trigger and the lower edge of the slide. So if there is a date code on the gun, it is always to be found on the frame. Guns proofed in or before 1961 don't feature the date code anyway. Originally, the date code was a two-digit number. Walther switched to the two-digit letter code in 1977.

The eagle you notice on the barrel near the muzzle on your gun is the nitro proof mark. It's the standard position for the proof on barrel and it should be present on nearly every barrel on a German proofed gun.

Registered
Through the ejection port you can't see the barrel itself but the barrel hood which is part of the frame. You can verify it by removing the barrel from the gun.

On models proofed after 1977, you'll notice the date code on a different position but still on the frame. On these guns it's between the trigger and the lower edge of the slide. So if there is a date code on the gun, it is always to be found on the frame. Guns proofed in or before 1961 don't feature the date code anyway. Originally, the date code was a two-digit number. Walther switched to the two-digit letter code in 1977.

The eagle you notice on the barrel near the muzzle on your gun is the nitro proof mark. It's the standard position for the proof on barrel and it should be present on nearly every barrel on a German proofed gun.
So what we鈥檝e been calling the barrel is actually the barrel hood...

I will check for the lil eagle nitro mark on the other barrels... I don鈥檛 recall seeing them on my non-1978 Walthers

Thanks

Registered
I think a PPK in .22 will bring the highest price. PPK kicks it up there. .22 also. How many mags? They are rare and can cost $150 ea. if you can find any. The box and papers kick it up a bit also. Ulm pistol? Your friend might regret the sale in a few years. You only have Dad's guns once. I wouldn't say the price is out of line but it is at the upper end. 1917

Registered

Above is what the frame boss looks like with the slide removed. The loop over the barrel is part of the frame. The barrel is pressed in and retained by the pin that is shown. Various marks are stamped onto the frame here depending on year of manufacture and place of manufacture. Many people mistake this for the barrel. 1917

Registered

I鈥檝e seen the nitro proof marks on my HK barrels but wasn鈥檛 able to find them on all of my old Walthers. I just looked at my Walthers again, I see the eagle on the barrels of my .22s, and .380s but not on my .32. Hmmm. Funny thing is that no two nitro marks look the same on my Walthers.

Premium Member
I鈥檝e seen the nitro proof marks on my HK barrels but wasn鈥檛 able to find them on all of my old Walthers. I just looked at my Walthers again, I see the eagle on the barrels of my .22s, and .380s but not on my .32. Hmmm. Funny thing is that no two nitro marks look the same on my Walthers.
That's right. The proof marks changed over time. And sometimes it can be difficult to identify the weak marks on the barrel, especially on older guns. These are the marks that are most common:

There's a fourth mark. It is a stylised version of the current proof mark and was used from 1970 on.

Registered
The date code (if there is one at all) isn't stamped on the barrel (there you will only find the nitro proof mark only) but on the frame.

Above is what the frame boss looks like with the slide removed. The loop over the barrel is part of the frame. The barrel is pressed in and retained by the pin that is shown. Various marks are stamped onto the frame here depending on year of manufacture and place of manufacture. Many people mistake this for the barrel. 1917
You are both absolutely right. Somewhere, in the dark recesses of my mind, I knew this, don't know why I made the mistake of calling it the barrel. Getting old and forgetful maybe...thanks for the correction.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
For what it is worth, my PPK (.380) has the year on the barrel hood, '68.
1917 - the gun has the box and 2 mags; one with brown rest, one with metal base. I am familiar with the value of the mags as I paid $150 each when I purchased 2 of them for my PP in .22.
Don't know if it was built in Ulm. He is not a gun guy, so I don't think he really has any attachment to it. However, whenever I buy a gun from a friend, I always give them the option to purchase it back in the future.
Cas - thanks. I was not familiar with the L designation. I always just called them Dural guns.
Lots of great info,
thanks again, fuzzy

Registered
You probably won't believe me, but I saw one at my local store a few weeks ago for $250.00. I passed on it because it felt very plastic, and I only collect them in .32 acp. (Maybe I should have bought it anyway)

Registered
You probably won't believe me, but I saw one at my local store a few weeks ago for $250.00. I passed on it because it felt very plastic, and I only collect them in .32 acp. (Maybe I should have bought it anyway)
A PPK for $250? If you find something like that and don't want it....there is a section here just for finds like that. Or just post it anywhere here. They don't make $250 PPKs anymore. 1917

Super Moderator
Yeah, a $250 PPK .22 is hinky...are we sure it wasn't the Umarex version?
Moon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts