Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I just received a very nice LNIB .22 PPK 1971 model.
It's quite accurate and not too picky on ammo, but prints high, about 10cm/4" at 25 m / 27 yds.
Is this common/uncommon?
I've tried various types of ammo etc. I'm a reasonably experienced shooter, and my other fixed sight pistols shoot to point of aim.
(disregard the fact that the group impacts right, I'm a leftie, and always have to push the sights a hair left)

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Welcome Thoger, can't answer your question, heck, I can barely see 82'. Are you shooting offhand or from a rest. I've shot several .22 pistols at 25M and the holes don't qualify as a group.. Plenty of social distancing I should say. Next time I'm out I need to see if I can answer something like this for my .22 PP pistols. 1917

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
A question of ballistic and proof. Walther tested/proofed their guns at 15m distance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
And,.........Maybe have another shooter try it and see how it prints for him/her.
Try, and maybe get used to, a 6 o'clock sight picture.
But, never modify the sights with a file or stone. You will immediately destroy it's value.
It's a PPK in .22 and a rare bird at that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'll trade you a 1911 with a Colt Ace kit on it for it. It has adjustable sights

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A question of ballistic and proof. Walther tested/proofed their guns at 15m distance.

It's high at 10, 15 too, just less so.

I tested at 50 too, it's beginning to fall back down but still 5cm/2" ish high

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And,.........Maybe have another shooter try it and see how it prints for him/her.
Try, and maybe get used to, a 6 o'clock sight picture.
But, never modify the sights with a file or stone. You will immediately destroy it's value.
It's a PPK in .22 and a rare bird at that.

Actually I bought it as a parts repository for my main competition .22 PPK
, but it was so nice I probably can't bring myself to strip it. Probably only has 50 rounds to it since 1971. None of the magazines have any wear on them, and it's only minimally visibly internally.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It would be, for a man size target, this one is for competitions.

6 yds - 70 yds.

Excuse me, but is this a PPK or a GSP?

If having a pocket pistol that prints 4" high at 25 meters is a problem for you that others can't quite fathom, then it seems to me that you have three choices:

1) Aim lower, i.e., adopt a six-o'clock hold;

2) Draw a finer bead, i.e., keep your center bull's-eye hold but "see" less of the front sight, or

3) Replace the rear sight with another one filed down across the top with a deeper notch.

M

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Interesting to hear someone is in competition shoots with a .22 PPK. I think I would figure out what ammo gave the best groups and adjust my point of aim from there. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,305 Posts
A '71 PPK? Wow, what is the provenance of that?
For the OP, where are you holding? Is the 4" above POA?
We all like what we like, but some things can't be fixed just so.
Moon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What ammo? MiniMag or Stinger?
This one actually works well with most ammo, except Geco.
CCI Std, TopShot, SK Standard, RWS Plus, various Lapua, Federal & MiniMag. Have not tried Stingers.

They all print high, with relatively little difference in group size, but perhaps a slight nod to SK Std and TopShot.
My other PPK only works with MiniMag, the poor old lady is getting tired. It's a '69 model that's been through the wringer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A '71 PPK? Wow, what is the provenance of that?
For the OP, where are you holding? Is the 4" above POA?
We all like what we like, but some things can't be fixed just so.
Moon
I do believe it came from the original owner, it came complete with box, 2 magazines, papers etc. I think he's shot his .32 PPK more, and probably couldn't hit with this, so it got left in the safe.
I'm holding center, so the hits are 4" above POA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting to hear someone is in competition shoots with a .22 PPK. I think I would figure out what ammo gave the best groups and adjust my point of aim from there. 1917
It's probably most going to get used as a parts repository for my 69 PPK, let's hope nothing breaks :)

The competition is called "Special Pistol Field", and is open to any semi automatic pistol that is below 800g / 28oz and that fits in a smallish cigar case about 7x5x1.5 in.

3-6 targets are placed at distances between 6 - 70m (6,6 - 77yds), 5 shots, shooting times between 6 and 14 seconds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excuse me, but is this a PPK or a GSP?

If having a pocket pistol that prints 4" high at 25 meters is a problem for you that others can't quite fathom, then it seems to me that you have three choices:

1) Aim lower, i.e., adopt a six-o'clock hold;

2) Draw a finer bead, i.e., keep your center bull's-eye hold but "see" less of the front sight, or

3) Replace the rear sight with another one filed down across the top with a deeper notch.

M

For casual work I'll just use the 6 o'clock, but that's not usable for competition, so mostly it will be admired for it's beauty.

If something breaks on my main PPK, I might have to cannibalize this one for parts. :(

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I thought this an interesting post from Crete some time ago. There is a wide variety of .22 ammo. Some should be a bit slower and hit lower at 25M I would think. Anyway, it seems the Federal ammo did very well here when fired from some target pistols. If the link still works.

Edit, nope, not all there but one of the rather inexpensive Federal 40 gr did exceptionally well when compared to so high end target ammo. I don't know what would be the most accurate pistol that would fit the 5" x 7" box. 1917

1 - 20 of 23 Posts