Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't posted here in a long time.....am very interested in buying a PPK/S in .22 LR. there is a batch on Gun Broker for approx $380 [new in box]. a couple of questions. how reliable is this pistol? any known problems? is the price reasonable?

thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
The one I had was very reliable with both standard and high velocity ammo. Shot very close to poa. Slightly bigger than the older All steel guns. They fit snuggly in holsters made for the 380 version

·
Registered
62 Posts
I always point out that magazines need to be functioning well to avoid FTF problems with these small pistols. Sometimes they can be very frustrating trying to find the right ammo!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I’ve had one for 5-6 years now. It is a joy to shoot, but mine is very ammo picky, works best with CCI Mini Mags. Does not like bucket ammo, needs to be kept clean, and needed a considerable break in period as there are places that need to be worn down between the slide and frame.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
how reliable is this pistol? any known problems? is the price reasonable?
Do I interpret it correctly that the questions refer to a PPK/S .22 on current production? There is a separate subforum for this version, because it is completely different from a PPK/S in .22lr, which is a vintage model and hasn't been manufactured since the mid-1980s. In the mentioned forum you will find a lot of answers and tips on the current model:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Balogh, thanks for the sub-forum suggestion. i spent an hour reading of experiences with the new PPK/S. am still enthused and will purchase one. no plans to use it for carry.

regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve noticed on the light weight pistols if a person “limp wrists” while shooting, the pistol won’t cycle correctly. I can shoot my TPH without any issues, but most everyone else has problems. The PPK/S all steel works for everyone, never had any issues with it and it’s very accurate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i did get a PPK/S .22 bought and picked it up yesterday. cleaned and lubed it and racked the slide several hundred times. it felt a little gritty, but am sure that will disappear after a thousand or so rounds. took it to the range today and put 50 CCI MiniMags through it, with no glitches. it was too windy and cold to do much shooting. did try some Winchester Super X Power Point and they were a complete failure. possibly after it gets broken in they will fire. i do have a thousand rounds of CCI velocitor and am hoping they will be as good as the MiniMag. brought it home and cleaned and lubed it. did not even try to fire it in double action. as everyone complains, the double action is too much. i do not understand Walther's game plan re the double action. they could have given it a 12# pull and it would be about like H&K's. anyway i'm very pleased with my purchase. single action trigger is very nice.....4-4 1/2#. decocker is fairly smooth. my only complaint is the double action, but being this is a range pistol that is not a problem. anxiously awaiting some warmer weather. any suggestions on other proven ammo will be welcome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
agree re the Stingers, no doubt they will fire in the PPK/S, but they are quite expensive. i do buy from the CCI website as well as the Federal website. it's rare to find my preferred ammo in the area i live.

by the way i have been dry firing my new pistol, using snap caps as well as a 3M ear plug in front of the hammer. the DA is actually getting much easier to fire. am anxiously awaiting warmer weather. thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i've run 200 rounds of Velociter and MiniMags [100 of each], with three jams. not sure what caused problem, but it was early in the process. am going to stay with those two rounds unless i find some cheaper ammo that is reliable. i did put white Testor's paint on the front sight. it was impossible to see the front sight against a dark target. am enjoying range time and dry firing.

·
Super Moderator
7,674 Posts
A gal took our handgun class with one of these; as I recall, it ran well for her, except for the double action silliness.
Moon

·
Registered
802 Posts
A gal took our handgun class with one of these; as I recall, it ran well for her, except for the double action silliness.
Moon
heck I took my CCW qualification test with my 2013 PPK/S .22. Easy peasy. My wife took the same test same night with her Ruger LCR. 38 Spc. After the fifty rounds she qualified but her right hand was numb.

I’ve never had an issue with the DA trigger. I simply pull the hammer back! 😎

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
My wife took the same test same night with her Ruger LCR. 38 Spc. After the fifty rounds she qualified but her right hand was numb.
My limit with my LCR .38 is ten rounds. The one time I fired fifty rounds in one range session my fingers were numb and my elbow was tingling. Never again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked one of these up myself. First Walther. Went straight to the range, dripping with factory lube and all, and shot 100 flawless rounds of CCI Mini-Mags. Yep, that double action trigger sure is heavy - time for trigger finger exercises! It shot a little high for me at 7 yards (about an inch over POA), so when I got home and cleaned it up I switched to the tall front sight and threw a little bright orange on it for visibility. Back to the range tomorrow for more practice... my poor Sigs and Rugers are gonna hate my new PPK/S .22LR for hogging my attention!

Reactions: LarryMNH

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just picked one of these up myself. First Walther. Went straight to the range, dripping with factory lube and all, and shot 100 flawless rounds of CCI Mini-Mags. Yep, that double action trigger sure is heavy - time for trigger finger exercises! It shot a little high for me at 7 yards (about an inch over POA), so when I got home and cleaned it up I switched to the tall front sight and threw a little bright orange on it for visibility. Back to the range tomorrow for more practice... my poor Sigs and Rugers are gonna hate my new PPK/S .22LR for hogging my attention!
How did it shoot the second time around?
Larry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts