Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just want to preface by saying i am brand new to walther but always like them and when I finally moved to a state that would let me carry I have been thinking of buying one. My question is I found a nice 1978 W. German PPK but it’s pricey. Is there that big of a difference between the older guns and the new PPKs made in the states besides the collectability aspect of it.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Is the German gun a PPK? And are you asking about a Ft Smith PPK/S. Both are nice pistols but the PPK is the smaller of the two and one that generally costs more money. I prefer the fit and looks of the older pistols myself and have no interest in the new pistols. But, that is because I have several of the others in .22, .32 and 9mm kurz. In recent years I have been able to purchase these pistols for less than a new Ft Smith model. But, the prices aren't going down because they aren't making any more of them. The German/ French Manurhin models would be my choice. If you have big meaty hands the new pistol might better protect you from slide bite. I have hands that fit the old style pistol just fine.

The PPK is a classic pistol, but there are better models these days for carry/self defense. None are as pretty though. 1917

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the German gun a PPK? And are you asking about a Ft Smith PPK/S. Both are nice pistols but the PPK is the smaller of the two and one that generally costs more money. I prefer the fit and looks of the older pistols myself and have no interest in the new pistols. But, that is because I have several of the others in .22, .32 and 9mm kurz. In recent years I have been able to purchase these pistols for less than a new Ft Smith model. But, the prices aren't going down because they aren't making any more of them. The German/ French Manurhin models would be my choice. If you have big meaty hands the new pistol might better protect you from slide bite. I have hands that fit the old style pistol just fine.

The PPK is a classic pistol, but there are better models these days for carry/self defense. None are as pretty though. 1917
Yes it is a west German made .380 in very nice condition too. It’s a pretty gun but at 2k hard to justify

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
That's way too much. Look into the for sale section here, hit local gun shops, etc. I paid about $320 for a police turn in PP in .32 a few years ago. About $400 for a beautiful Manurhin .380 PPK/S and the most expensive ones have been like new .22 cal models. Those cost me $500 and $600 ea but they look new. Box and all. Got any specific caliber you are looking for? Those .380's kick like a mule. The .32's are very pleasant to shoot. Some high end pistols with matching prices are at Simpson's Ltd. Many are way under $2K. 1917

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I’ve seen a West German 1978 PPK (yes, PPK, not PPK/S) at a pawn shop here in DFW a few months ago, for $450. Was tempted, didn’t buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's way too much. Look into the for sale section here, hit local gun shops, etc. I paid about $320 for a police turn in PP in .32 a few years ago. About $400 for a beautiful Manurhin .380 PPK/S and the most expensive ones have been like new .22 cal models. Those cost me $500 and $600 ea but they look new. Box and all. Got any specific caliber you are looking for? Those .380's kick like a mule. The .32's are very pleasant to shoot. Some high end pistols with matching prices are at Simpson's Ltd. Many are way under $2K. 1917
Thanks I thought that was a little expensive. Either .380 or .32

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
I’ve seen a West German 1978 PPK (yes, PPK, not PPK/S) at a pawn shop here in DFW a few months ago, for $450. Was tempted, didn’t buy.
If you find a good deal like that and you aren't interested....we have a section here where you can post a link. I'm sure a lot of Members would have been interested. Do you remember the caliber. Condition, etc. We are greedy around here when it comes to such shootin' irons. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Post 1968 German PPK's are rare enough in the US that you could have at least tripled your money selling it on this forum. Maybe more.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If you find a good deal like that and you aren't interested....we have a section here where you can post a link. I'm sure a lot of Members would have been interested. Do you remember the caliber. Condition, etc. We are greedy around here when it comes to such shootin' irons. 1917
It was a .380 and in “stored in holster” condition, and I did post about it here.

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
My caveat about actually carrying minty, older Walthers...
The best way to turn a $1k gun into an $750 gun is to carry it close to your body. Drop it on concrete, have it end in an evidence locker...
Get something new (and easy to replace) to carry; keep that vintage Walther as a range queen.
Moon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts