Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first gun and I know little about it. It is used and in good condition.

Left side has the Walther banner and underneath "Made in Germany".

Also, "Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do. Modell PP Cal. 7,65mm"

Right side has some kind of an emblem (too small for me to see even with the magnifier), which might be 2 flags facing in opposite directions, or perhaps even wings of a bird (as in the 3rd Reich bird symbol, though I doubt this gun is that old). There is an N below the emblem and the serial number to the right is 6 digits: 4-2-7-X-X-X

Also appears is "CDI Swanton VT"

The silver metal piece over what I think is the bullet chamber (please forgive my ignorance) has a number 73 followed b a squiggle looking picture and the same "bird" emblem.

Would like to learn its history and the manufacture year, if any one can help.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
You have a police surplus Walther PP in 7.65mm (.32acp) imported by Classic Distributors, Inc. The squiggle symbol is the Ulm proof house antler stamp and the "73" is the proof date. A very tiny stamp by the serial number may be the symbol of the German exporter.
If the gun has a lanyard loop it's probably a Danish Police model. Some Danish PP's have replacement slides without loaded chamber indicator pins. We'll know more once you post photos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did go...

Thanks, I started there, but found that post after my original post. It is likely that my own ignorance (or stupidity as it may be) is making a simple subject too complex, but, it pretty much feels like a gun-world jungle, for which I am unprepared. I have no marks like "AE" or "GF", but I will pursue the other links and your basic skills-lessons-for-novices. Am sure these repetitive questions become aggravating for those in those know! Sometimes, however, one may run across an avid collector that can throw off quick information like an entomologist identifying an obscure bug. I sincerely appreciate your response and will pursue these other avenues. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are the Cat's Meow

You have a police surplus Walther PP in 7.65mm (.32acp) imported by Classic Distributors, Inc. ...
Thank you so much! I don't know anything about lanyard loops or replacement slides or loaded chamber indicator pins (I will look these up). This is my first gun. I purchased this one for the "feel-in-the-hand". I did not buy bullets and will not (all you gun enthusiasts can grin at this), until I have been properly instructed in safety. I did not think it very old and this confirms it.

Any comments on the PP regarding use and whether OK for beginners will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Thank you so much! I don't know anything about lanyard loops...
Here's a photo of a Danish Police surplus PP. The lanyard loop is located on the bottom of the grip behind the magazine (circled in red).
The Walther PP in .32 acp is fun and easy to shoot well. If you aren't familiar with handguns find a shooting range that holds classes in handgun operation and safety. These surplus PP's work best with round nose full metal jacket ammo. They should have target ammo at your local range.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is my gun!

I now know what a lanyard loop is and that is a great thing! I do have a local gun range available and will find someone who can properly train me. THANK YOU for generously sharing your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Glad that Bob has you up and running. And no worries about asking questions that have been asked before; it happens a lot. Be sure to post up some good photos so that we can all get a good look at what you have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for info

Glad that Bob has you up and running. And no worries about asking questions that have been asked before; it happens a lot. Be sure to post up some good photos so that we can all get a good look at what you have.
This is related to my other post about novice users and I apologize because I am so new to this and haven't quite figured out how to respond specifically to a particular responder (in this case "you"), so am continuing this here: you stated wonderful attributes for the PP but detracted from it as a "home defense weapon". Why, I ask, is this not a good defense weapon?

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Get the gun safety and shooting lessons and make sure your pistol runs 100%. That is very important. It will make a good self defense firearm. For home defense you don't have to worry about weight, size or length of the firearm....so an 8 round 12 gauge works fine as does a larger pistol with 15 or 16 rounds of larger and more powerful ammo. Around the south it is hot, most folks dress lightly and it is hard to conceal a large firearm. Police departments all over Europe carried your pistol every day for years. Safe shooting. M1911

·
Registered
964 Posts
Mingus227,We have something in common ,a.32 PP police import was also my first.Not to get into a pissing contest here , but your PP ,once you learn to handle and shoot it well IS ok for home defence . Shot placement is critical upper thoracic or a head shot unless you are a prodigy upper chest it is . One thing about home defence you do need to consider the clean up or restoration The larger the caliber the bigger the mess and the more you have to repair if you miss or not . Also you own whatever leaves the end of your barrel if you use a larger caliber firearm and it exits your domicile you still own it and whatever damage it causes another plus for your PP . Someone is bound to say you have to survive first to be worried about all that this is true that is where practice comes in the more you do it the better you'll be ,so practice a lot .WINCHESTER Silver Tips work very well in my PP that's a hollow point personal defense round ,not for practice. Fiocchi makes a good quality fmj practice round . Since you are a newbie look at some of the older posts about slide bite and how to avoid it before you go to shoot for the first time no point in having an otherwise good experience marred but something that is preventable or just wear a good golf glove on your shooting hand . Get you a couple of extra magazines , any PP PPKS magazine in .32 caliber will work . Be safe my friend and practice with BOTH hands ,good luck . ayb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts