Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie - first time posting. Btw I have a PP 7.65 circa 1944. Ser no 300xxxP.

I have been having frequent problems with the hammer not cocking after firing. What I understand is that there are essentially three things that can cause this -- sear, trigger bar or trigger spring. The spring looks mangled at the top and does not fit easily in the trigger bar slot.

Can someone point me to where I can purchase a replacement trigger spring.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PP Trigger Spring Photos

I have attached photos of the trigger spring in place as well as the spring and bar separate. The photos don't provide the clarity of the spring tip which is bent in a way that in cannot slide easily within the trigger bar groove.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The photos don't provide the clarity of the spring tip which is bent in a way that in cannot slide easily within the trigger bar groove.
There's not a lot of linear sliding in the groove for the portion of the spring you allude to. That part of the spring sits in the groove to provide lift, so when the hammer is cocked and when pulling the trigger, the rear of the trigger bar lifts into position (because of that spring) in the cocking piece (sear) to pull it off the engaged hammer toe, thus letting the hammer fly forward.

If you take the slide and the grips off, and while holding the hammer with your thumb as to not let it fly forward, pull the trigger slowly to see how the parts interface with one another. With some malfunctions, much can be determined and/or ruled out, when one studies and understands operation of the mechanisms in "slow motion."

Of course, if this sort of work "under the hood" is not your bag, then by all means bring or send the weapon to a gunsmith well-versed in the PP platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PP does not always cock the hammer

Thanks to MGMike for the detailed reply – this was really helpful. It took a while but I did complete all the testing. I am new to this so I took my time.

After everything you mentioned I think it probably is short recoil. I have tried most of the FMJ loads available here (Calif) I think they have all been 71 Gr loads and there is no difference in action. I didn't know there was a stronger load available.

This is a bring back WW2 gun which has never been outside the family nor repaired so I don’t believe it has a non-original recoil spring. It’s had little use until recently.

The Grips are original – two plastic halves – but I did notice they were originally over tightened. They might be fouling the sear or trigger bar I can’t tell. I may have to try another grip. The action seems to work fine without grips on.

I tried your hammer test and it passed fine. The safety drum also passed your test.

Upon further examination I noticed that the trigger bar is not flat and also is slightly twisted – like someone had pried it out of the frame and trigger.

The trigger spring is so twisted at the tip that it does not slide in trigger bar groove but I know you guys have said that it should make no difference. My thought is why do they make the groove so long then? I am not sure that the sear is not out of whack in spite of all the tests.

Thanks also to AoxoMoxoA for his comment on the Hammer block spring. The Hammer block spring seemed strong when I removed and manually compressed it.

I decided to send it to a gunsmith after he and I conferred on the phone and I will post the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PP frequently does not cock the hammer

This is an update to my post. My WW2 bring back was frequently (2-3 rounds a magazine) not cocking the hammer. Originally I was sure my problem was a deformed Trigger Spring. However the pros -- MikeG et al were correct - it had nothing to do with the Trigger Spring.

I just received the gun back from the gunsmith. Earl's Repair in Virginia. I am was very pleased with the service and discussions with the owner, Earl. Second time I have engaged with his shop.

The following needed to be replaced: The Recoil Spring, Trigger Bar, Hammer Spring, Hammer Block Spring, and the Hammer Block Cap.

I have since fired off 600 rounds without a single failure to cock the hammer.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us on the repair; it's not often that a poster will take the time to provide an update.

Earl is an excellent 'smith; you were in good hands. Safe shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts