Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
807 Posts
Hello Cigarman,
Here, http://www.p38forum.com/ is the comment that Mr. Reichert made regarding the use in Australia of .380 cartridges in lieu of 9x18 Ultra. On the reloading section. My thread on new brass availability.

Also further down, a gentleman identified as Ramon states,
"Quoting the book, Handloader's Manual of Cartidge Conversions by John J. Donnelly, page 909, uses a 100 grain bullet with 6 grains of Unique.

Donnelly converts .38 ACP brass for the Ultra cartridge."

Which leads me to think that 6 grains of Unique on a SilverTip bullet will give plenty of oommpphh to the average werewolf breakfast.

· Registered
807 Posts
You are on your way, Cigarman. One thing you'll notice is that compared to the Mak with an equivalent round, the PP Super kicks a lot less. Mostly due to the contour of the grip. The slight differences in size and weight also help.

The person that probably will identify the markings on your baby is Mr. Dieter H. Marschall. You can post the question directed to him ("Herrn Marschall! PP Super data requested" will do) at the PP & PPK forum or better yet e-mail him. He will require a full description of all the markings including the complete serial number. Reason is Mr. Marschall set out sometime ago to reconstruct the Walther records that the Nazis destroyed before the end of the war. And he's probably the human encyclopedia regarding all things Walther. A very considerate gentleman. In the true Teutonic sense of the word. I believe that one of his books has very detailed info on all things PP Super.

Btw, now that you have the Geco, give me some time to do a search on the Fiocchi. Will post the link.

Which leads me to Beretta92's posts. No, no guru here. Actually, very little is known about the Ultra cartridge. Nazis, Walther and Geco managed to destroy most, if not all of the existing records. And the rest, the Russians either do not have or will not tell that they have it. Which in this day and age, seems like a classic oxymoron. So do not trust the specs on the diagram. For one, most just don't add up. And to tell you the truth, without the aid of a caliper, I don't see a difference between the three makes, Geco, Fiocchi and Hirtenberger. They all look the same size to me! Btw, only Fiocchi calls it "Police".

The last, known to me commercial supplier of the Hirtenberger 9x18 Ultra round, is a very gentle soul with great discriminating taste located in the West. Don't remember his particulars now but he was a regular at the big shows. Supply is dried up. Last checked about a year or so ago. And my supply is really thin. They are a hoot to shoot!

Btw, someone in another forum stated that he received a US catalog that included new, unfired 9x18U brass. So it is to be found somewhere here. I'm still looking. Will post info here if I do find the supplier. And thank you for your observations on the feasibility of firing .380 brass in a 9x18U chamber. With me, the fascination with the 9x18U round is more of a loyalty thing. An old, loyal friend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.