Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my PP Super back from the gun hospital. Trigger spring broke and ferrule-type bushing was also replaced.

If your PP Super trigger feels gritty, be warned, the spring is about to go. The trigger spring on it is an oddity. The only other trigger spring that resembles it is the one on the P38. If you turn the gun over and look at it you will notice that it has a triangle on top. What happens when the grittiness starts to apear is that one of the prongs on that triangle breaks. The gun will function until the other prong breaks. And it is only a matter of time until it breaks. If it breaks, the trigger will not cease to function but it will compromise reliability to the extent that to fire the second shot, you will have to touch the hammer. A la old western gunslingers. With a slide moving at you it is a delicate operation.

So if the trigger feels a bit coarse, replace it. It should feel firm and smooth. Was informed that, in Germany, it is rather well known that that is the PP Super's weak link.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give thanks to the gods that it is not. Costs an arm and a leg. For a spring.

Actually, the P38 trigger spring is bigger, wider. Won't fit in the Super. But that type of trigger spring seems to be unique to the P38 and the Super. It appears that it is an additional reliability feature shared by no other pistol. The split triangle on top is the distinguishing aspect. Sort of provides a double insurance value. If one prong breaks, it can still function adequately. And the grittiness then will tell you that it needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
AHHHH
do tell how much the spring set you back
I am glad your primary CC gun is back on primary duty :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a relief that my friend is back on duty. And it feels like a NIB. Recoil spring, mainspring, reset, slide lock and trigger springs were replaced. Perfect function. Extractor adjusted.

The trigger spring came straight from Germany. $20.00 each. Purchased two. Just in case. The ferrule-type bushing was $50.00.

Now I can shoot my eye out.:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just got my PP Super back from the gun hospital. Trigger spring broke and ferrule-type bushing was also replaced.

If your PP Super trigger feels gritty, be warned, the spring is about to go. The trigger spring on it is an oddity. The only other trigger spring that resembles it is the one on the P38. If you turn the gun over and look at it you will notice that it has a triangle on top. What happens when the grittiness starts to apear is that one of the prongs on that triangle breaks. The gun will function until the other prong breaks. And it is only a matter of time until it breaks. If it breaks, the trigger will not cease to function but it will compromise reliability to the extent that to fire the second shot, you will have to touch the hammer. A la old western gunslingers. With a slide moving at you it is a delicate operation.

So if the trigger feels a bit coarse, replace it. It should feel firm and smooth. Was informed that, in Germany, it is rather well known that that is the PP Super's weak link.
Where did you get the springs from?

Link?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you for your optimism in thinking that I might remember thirteen (13) years later. At my age, that's enough for me to consider you BFF. :)

My best recollection is that it was a gun shop.

However, Earl could help. Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page
Just ordered 2 trigger springs, Recoil spring, and a slide stop spring from him for my NEW 46 year of Walther PP Super! Shoots great, loaded up some 95Gr .380 HPs using .380 data. I am using 9 Mak cases sized with 9 MM Dies and seated with a 95Gr .380 HP. Getting about the same velocity as factory Fiocchi 9 Ultra, 966 fps. ,380's 916 fps and 990 with the Mak cases.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts