Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PP Super for about $1500, P88 for about $1500, P5 for about $900, which is the best buy for the buck for a range gun? Not to be carried, just thinking about getting 'one really nice gun, a Walther'. The CZ P 01 is just about a perfect for my hand; will one of the above fit similarly (doubt if I'll ever get to test fire any of them)?
Thanks in advance,
Benny

·
Registered
174 Posts
P-88 for range, P5 for carry, P5C for CCW, PP Super for safe queen.

·
Registered
754 Posts
A PP Super for $1,500.00? Wow, things are really bad in MA! If that's the best that can be done there, definitely skip it. And that's from someone who owned a P5 and handled the P88. Still the owner of a PP Super that shares duty as a carry gun with an ASAI OnePro 45. And no second guessing there on my part.

So between the P88 and the P5, hands down the P88. From my own experience, way better handling and accuracy. Only downside to it, its innards look really complicated vis a vis the Super and the P5. But it makes practically anyone look like a superstar at the range.

Btw, thanks to the gentle folks in MA that equate the PP Super to the P88 in price.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm from MA originally, but moved to MN in 2000; the new gun laws in MA seem frightening to me. Glad I don't live there now. I saw the PP Super on GunBroker.com; there is a .380 and a 9 Ultra. I sure like the looks of the PP Super - even more than the P88 - but considering the high prices of all of them, I need all the info I can get before making a final decision. Thanks, guys. I'm going to look more into the P88.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I'd go with the P88. (This is a full sized P88 right?). You get the "better" caliber in the 9mm Luger over the .380 or 9x18 of the PP Super and you get more rounds you can launch downrange over the P5.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hello BennyMA,
Definitely skip on the $1,500.00 PP Super. It doesn't make sense, it's a waste of money, on the .380 and more so on the 9x18. Btw, sold my ASAI yesterday. If you like weird cartridges, and have handled a 9x18U, then you know that it was made as a very comfortable shooting pistol. Stock grip molds to your hand and if custom made it's even better. For one, I can hit anything with the 9x18s, not so with other cartridges. Except for the .22 lr. But you have to try it to know.

Granted, nowadays a .380 will give you everything that the 9x18 could/might give. Unless you are into custom reloading. CorBon DPX .380, for example. But dishing out $1,500.00 when there's another choice in the P88 (both full and compact, sorry Devin) is like paying the same price for a green pepper and a gallon of milk. PP Super .380s can be had for $1,000.0 or less. Around 4,000 were made so it's not exactly a rarity. OTOH, 9x18s in excellent condition can be had for about $500.00-$550.00. Patience is the key.

Mind you, I now rely on my PP 9x18 for those unexpected social situations we all dread. So I'm prejudiced, biased. But if a P88 can be had for $900.00, even less( once I heard of one for $650.00 in excellent condition), and you handle beautifully the 9mm L cartridge, that to me would tilt the balance. There's a lot more choice in ammo in the 9L. Just look around, take your time. They're out there. You just need to find them. Which is, bottom line, the best part of finding a handgun that will become your trusted companion. Good luck on your search. Will keep an eye out for a P88 for you.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Btw, for plinking, Geco 9x18 Ultra 70s production, available at SOG for about $8.00 per box of 50. Call them. Not on their website.

A custom SD load, 90 gr GDHP, travelling out of a PP Super at about 1060-1090 fps, will set you back for about $1.00 per round. That's what I carry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info, jehzsa, thanks much. Sounds like patience is the key; will do. I 'cut my teeth', so to speak, on a full size Baby Eagle 9mm Luger. It was my first center fire pistol. It's still my favorite, so easy to shoot, never failed me; the 9 Luger has been kind to me for sure. Sounds like the P88 is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
link to pics of my PP Super

I would agree with the rest ... get the P5 or the P88.....
I know this is late... but oh well....
I got the above for $600 on Gunbroker.......the P5 shoots sweet and can be baught for $450.........
The .380 PP Super has been on Gunbroker for a long time... and won't be going anywhere soon ... unless somebody has their mind set on it......
be careful with some of the other PP Super's on Gunbroker... there is one that is marked "like new" and is a German police trade......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great pics of the PP Super. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, the lines of that model seem perfect to me.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I will keep an eye out ........currently I have not seen a deal on one at all.... but then again I have not been looking hard for another PP Super.....
and yes I think it is a damn sexy gun.... the lines are perfect.....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hello uncut. Good to read about you again.

BennyMA. If you decide to go with the PP Super, make sure you purchase one with two mags. Difficult to obtain and expensive. Btw, if you check GA, there's a new one for less than $700.00. Doesn't say if two mags, though.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
sorry I have to add my 2 cents........
It can not be in like new condition.. it is a police trade.....
It buggs me that people call such guns like new......
if this is the gun

look at the stamp where the trigger guard is hinged.... it's a police mark..... also you can see the wear on the gripps....
there is one listed on Gunbroker .. that is also like new advertised and is a police trade........

It is looking nice..... but IMHO a police trade should be marked as such...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
oh and just to give you guys a heads up on mags.....
google.... look at everything.....that is marked PP Super....
I got three 9x18 mags for my PP super for $90..... not that I ever might use 5 total... but hey I got them for later... never know what might come along... plus if I ever get my hands on the .380.... I can use them in that one too

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the one I was looking at. There was also a .380 for $1150. Still too high for a .380? How long will 9 Ultra be available? Is it better to consider the .380 for the long run?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I am sure jehzsa will tell you more about this... but due to laws and regulations in Europe the 9x18 wont dissapear in the near future..........
also if all fails you can start reloading cut down 9x19 apparently... I am not reloading so I am not sure 100%....
and the other option is to load .380 in the 9x18.......which i just a tap smaler in diameter than the 9x18 but is held in place by the extractor....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Of the three OEMs of the 9x18U round(Geco, Fiocchi and Hirtenberger) only Fiocchi is today a regular producer. It seems that they produce a batch every two years or so. Recently, Sportsmansguide started selling the newest batch. It was a pleasant surprise that they no longer refer to it as "obsolete and obscure"(
) ammo but rather "specialty" ammo. And even more pleasant was the fact that the new price is lower, i.e., $15.00 +- per 50. Used to be recently, $19.99/50.

SOG still has 70s production Geco, plinking stuff these days, for about $8.00/50. Plenty to be had, still. Apparently SOG bought a bunch of this surplus stuff. But there's a limit. However, a custom loaded SD round will cost you about $1.00 each. Just in line with other custom loadings like CorBon. If someone provides the used brass, the price comes down to about $0.50. Unless, of course, you reload.

The Walther PP Super, of which about 10,000 were manufactured, can be obtained in the US in all conditions. Some unfired, except at the factory, most in pretty good to excellent condition. I still haven't seen one that would classify as a beater/truck gun. The next major producer was Benelli with their B-82. Most, if not all, first served in Europe. Mine served in Italy, some in Spain. Haven't seen one in like new, unfired condition commercially in the US. Very popular in Europe, accuracy can't be beat. It's a full size model. Have no knowledge of production figures. Excellent weapon for small game.

Sig came out with a P230 model in the late 70s. A limited production run of 300. Heavier than the regular model. Most served with the LSA and apparently in their SWAT unit. Mine did not. Magnificent shooter, especially with Hogue rubbers. About 50 of the LSA model were recently imported. And then there is the Renato Gamba Mauser HSc model 80. Been looking for one for about 4 years now in the US. Tough cookie to find.

Btw, a reloader friend came up with a 90 gr XTP loading that gives him 1,147 fps on average out of his PP Super. Now there's a happy chap, if I've ever seen one. That seems to be the limit for slow-burning VV powder. A faster burner is still in the works but the top, safe limit for the 9x18U could possibly be 1,200 fps with a 90 gr. Clearly separating it from .380 specs. He reloads Geco brass, but if a conversion is needed, trimmed down 9x19 or .38 SComp, will fit just fine.

IIRC, Cigarman purchased a LN .380 PP Super for $500.00-$550.00 not too long ago. One mag, I believe. It had remained forgotten in the listings of Glocktalk for quite awhile, probably because of its search function. One thing I can tell you. Even with Hirtenberger ammo, the darn thing IS a tack-driver. Really small tacks at that. Makes anyone feel like an Olympic superstar.

If it helps you somewhat, my obsession with the 9x18U is basically a loyalty thing.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts