Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm strongly considering acquiring a PP Super. It's a gun that I've had my eyes on for years but have never seen in peson. How does the gun compare in size to the PP or PPK? Are there any significant differences other than finish and/or grips between the civilian and police versions?

I know that a P5 would be a more practical buy, but I know that I need to own a PP Super to get it out of my system.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The PP Super has no safty.... it is a decocker only....
the grips are bigger compared to a PP or PPK and other than wear on the police trades and some police markings they are just as good as a civilian version.....most grips on the police issues have more wear as they were exposed alot
I love mine and would not sell it no matter what.... one of the sexiest guns ever..... oh I got two of them.... a queen and a shooter wait there is a PP Super lighter also

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That queen is stunning, and I bet the shooter is fun. Are the wood grips factory?

Georgia Arms, which is just cross-town for me, sells 9 Ultra for $21 a 50. I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Are the wood grips factory?

Georgia Arms, which is just cross-town for me, sells 9 Ultra for $21 a 50. I can live with that.
that is the going rate now days.... we used to get 50 rounds for $8.50 but no more I guess.... I have about 2000 of the old Geco round sitting here.
Yes the grips are factory, 106th PP production PP Super without import marks and some history of it sitting in a German gunstore for 10 years then being exported to England... and all confirmed by Walther..
there is a .380 version of that queen (with the woodgrips) on Gunsamerica for a fortune with the elusive finger rest magazine....

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks a lot, Uncut. Now I've got to add yet another
Walther to my must-have list. At this rate, I'll to get
a fourth job. Anyone hiring?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
:eek: what :eek:
I didn't do anything....nothing at all
FWIW... there might be some aftermarked wood grips for the PP Super coming soon. I still have not seen my set in person but there is pictures of the proto types. The main reason I went on the quest for these is that the backstrap on the original PP Super grips needs to be smaller for me.....also I opted not thave the thumbrest on them....
It might yet be another month or so till I get them.... but I will post pics once I got them on my shooter

http://dnmars.43i.net/?content=Walther

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen some decent prices on the PP Super, but that P5 keeps coming to mind. For those of you who have both, which would you go for, condition and price being equal?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
ouch that is a hard one
But it is easy non the less.... the P5 wins in my book.
Not as sexy as the PP Super, but softer shooting and ammo can be found on every corner... but I still would not give up my PP Super :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ouch that is a hard one
But it is easy non the less.... the P5 wins in my book.
Not as sexy as the PP Super, but softer shooting and ammo can be found on every corner... but I still would not give up my PP Super :D
How does the PP Super shoot?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I'm strongly considering acquiring a PP Super. It's a gun that I've had my eyes on for years but have never seen in peson. How does the gun compare in size to the PP or PPK? Are there any significant differences other than finish and/or grips between the civilian and police versions?

I know that a P5 would be a more practical buy, but I know that I need to own a PP Super to get it out of my system.
You'll get it out of your system once you "see it in person". It's a dog.

It was developed solely to provide a platform for the 9mm Ultra, a cartridge that ultimately nobody wanted because it was not that much of an improvement over the 9mm Kurz.

The gun itself is bloated: overly large and overly fat for such a mediocre cartridge. It is considerably larger than a PP-series gun, with little gain to show for it.

Most of the guns seen here (USA) are the police surplus variety, in 9mm Ultra. A small number of commercial ones were imported by Interarms, all in .380, as I recall, a total of about 500-1000 units. Unlike most of the PP-series, they were 100% produced in Ulm. The police and commercial guns look pretty much the same in style and finish, though the police surplus obviously are not found NIB, while the commerical variety often are. Curiously most of the police guns show evidence of reaming of the bolt face that was done after final finishing; whether this was to correct a widespread headspace problem, or for some other reason, is not apparent. This is not seen on the Interarms .380 guns.

Any comparison with the P5 is kiwis and cucumbers. The P5 is, IMO, the best defense pistol Walther ever made by traditional methods-- maybe even without that qualification. And it's in a serious caliber. In contrast the PP Super has no particular fitness for any particular purpose; it's just a collector's item, like a piece of Wedgewood.

Now I will have to read a bunch of crap about being wishy-washy.

M

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
facts of PP Supers
9x18 U serial range 10001- 21101
9x17 serial range 10000- 101300
also there where two made for testing in Duraluminum and chambered in .32acp and a few other oddbals before production started

I so don't agree with it being a dog... I love mine and if one comes along at the right price I buy another one...
yes they are bigger than a PP but not all that much ... and only on the grip are they a big too big for me
I am currently recording each and every PP Super in 9x18U that goes on gunbroker or I find elsewhere to compile serial range date for the seperate states that issued them as they are all over the place....
I might sound naive here but if the German BKA (like the FBI) procured some it must have not been all that bad.
Que send me a email through the board and I will reply to you with a PDF of last years Combat Handgun articel of the PP Super

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I won't quarrel with anyone's taste. Gun preferences are like religion--pointless to argue. If you "love" your PP Supers, that's fine. I have one, too, NIB, but it's for reference, not amour.

As to whether the PP Super was all that "good" or "bad", the figures tell the real story. A total production run of 12,400 units is not a roaring commercial success. That hardly recovers the startup costs. Ventures of that sort were why Walther wound up in the '80s under management of the banks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I respect such opinions greatly, especially when they are based on actual experience with a gun, as these are.

Uncut, my messaging isn't on but my email is [email protected]. I'd love to read the article.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just pulled the trigger and bought a PP Super http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75582303 It looks pretty good to me and the price is very favorable along with the 150 rounds of ammo. The three day return policy is important to me and I'll not buy guns off the Net "as is".

I figure I'll pick up a P5 some time down the road when the right one shows up. To me this was the right PP Super to take a shot at. I have a P1 which is somewaht similar (I believe) so the PP Super offers me something different. I own many guns so this one won't be for tons of shooting, and the 9x18 Ultra is not unreasonably priced and is readily available to me from Georgia Arms right down the road. I like shooting different calibers and I already own plenty of Nines. I've wanted the PP Super for as long as I've been a shooter, so I've followed my heart ;) We'll see what my brain has to say about that.

Was there a price range for those wooden grips?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The price was fair given the 150 rounds of ammo.....it should be a early one with a '76 date code....let me know if it does have the "drooped wing" eagle on the front right frame as I think it does but the seller never confirmed this.
Also let me know please what police marking it has
I stole my police trade for $335 out the door and have yet not seen another as cheap as mine in a good year or so.
As to the woodgrips.... I have not recieved mine so I am not sure if they are ready for "production" as I think Dennis wants to hear back on fit and finish of the prototype.
He has my set of regular PP Super grips and a few scans and pictures of my original wood grips to make his line of grips. I will keep you updated on this as they should be done soon. I give you a idea... he had this stuff since the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm seeing the dropped wing eagle on the front right frame. I can just make out the dropped wings. I'll send the police markings when I have the gun in hand. I have an ex-police HK P7 and a an ex-army P1, and once had an ex-army HK4, so I have an appreciation for the X guns.

Compared to the other PP Supers right now it seemed like the best deal considering I didn't want to go over $500. I've been watching them over some time now and have seen some better ones for the $$, but the money is in hand right now and wasn't then, and that can make all of the difference in the world. I think that new grips will be a must, probably a new set of plastic and eventually wood.

BTW, as an artisan myself, I know that seven months is a drop in the bucket for some projects especially when you want to get it exactly right :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, I imagine the gun to shoot very much on the snappy side. Years ago I had a Grendel P10 http://hometown.aol.com/jtjersey/Grendel/grendel.htm which was a very small .380 that really had a kick (slapped at your hand) and quite a bit of muzzle climb for its size. It was actually quite fun to shoot despite having a miseable trigger, which is why I got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I think it is a pleasure to shoot.... and I expect it to be more fun once I get the prips right....
I have what I think to be small hands and just can't get them around the bottom enough to get a good grip
this is what I have in mind once the woodgrips are finished...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hello Que,
If you are considering carrying your PP Super, may I suggest this http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/index2.html

With shipping it will cost you about $1.00 per round. I have the 90 gr GDHP and out of my PP Super it travels at around 1,075 fps. The felt recoil in mine is not significant nor substantial mainly because I have custom-made wood grips which I have managed to fit like a glove. Perhaps you might want to consider that too. Nevertheless, with that particular loading there is no need for me to feel disarmed because I'm carrying an "underpowered" weapon. Speer has informed me, that a cartridge with those specs should provide more than adequate penetration in ballistic jelly. Around 10 inches.

Actually, felt recoil in mine is a lot less than most, if not all, , .380s that I've handled and quite a few 9mm. Congratulations on your purchase. Fwiw, these are the known manufacturers to me that have developed or designed platforms for the 9x18 chambering;
Walther
Sig
Benelli
HK
Steyr
Renato Gamba Mauser
Tanfoglio

Hello uncut,

Would love to see the pics of your finished grips when they arrive. If it is anywhere like the other Mr. Marschalko's products it should be high quality.

Very best to you and your loved ones.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts