Walther Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local auction has a pp super in excellent condition. I don't know much about these guns except what is written in the book walther mod 1 to ppx.

Anyone own one here? How to do they shoot? Are they rare? What money are they going for at the moment?

Serial number is in the 14000 range.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I've got an ex-police PP Super in 9x18. I really like this model and wish that Walther hadn't discontinued it. These aren't common in the US but if you want one it isn't hard to track one down. The .380 version is rare and probably #1 on my Walther wish list.

Mine is a great shooter but doesn't go to the range much. They are larger than the PP and closer in size to the P5. Fiocchi still makes a 100gr FMJ load for it.

Have you looked into ammo and parts availability in Australia? I'm not concerned about breaking anything on mine but I also have an easier time getting the parts if I do need them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got an ex-police PP Super in 9x18. I really like this model and wish that Walther hadn't discontinued it. These aren't common in the US but if you want one it isn't hard to track one down. The .380 version is rare and probably #1 on my Walther wish list.
Yep. There are several on Gunbroker and one of them is a .380.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
The 9x18 can apparently be reloaded with a combination of .380 and 9mm dies and shell holders.
Whether you want another 9x something casing rattling around the shop is another question. :) Keping 9s and .380s sorted is challenge enough.
Neat gun, tho'. Would love to have a .380 version.
Moon

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Mine is a great shooter but doesn't go to the range much. They are larger than the PP and closer in size to the P5. Fiocchi still makes a 100gr FMJ load for it.

Have you looked into ammo and parts availability in Australia? I'm not concerned about breaking anything on mine but I also have an easier time getting the parts if I do need them.
This is the first I've seen for sale in Australia so I'd say they are rare here. I wouldn't be shooting it. More of just a buy to fill a hole in the collection.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The Super is a robust, underrated Walther that is well worth owning and enjoying in either caliber. I shoot both of mine a couple of times a year and I throughly enjoy them. The grip is very good, and the extra mass helps tame the straight blowback recoil. If I could only have one, then the .380 is the better choice because of the abundance of lower-cost ammunition, but 9x18 isn’t that hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
A twice told tale, but encountered one of these in a gunshop 40 years ago; neat piece, and I'm not sure the owner knew quite what he had. Lack of ammunition scared me off; haven't seen one in the flesh since then.
Will the 9x18 actually function with .380 ammo? Think I saw that somewhere.
Moon

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yes, you can do it, but the risk is as Redcat94 says above. I had a ”shooter grade” police surplus in 9x18 several years ago and I ran a box or two of .380 through it without an issue. Mostly, I wanted to see how it ran, and I wasn’t worried about that particular pistol. It cycled perfectly, but the casings bulged noticeably, so a split casing could happen. I posted a photo comparison of the spent casings for the .380 and 9x18 Ultra somewhere on the WF around 8-9 years ago,

A better solution is to buy a Super chamber in .380 and don’t worry about the ammo issue. Better yet, get one of each caliber; they make a lovely pair. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
The 9x18 can apparently be reloaded with a combination of .380 and 9mm dies and shell holders.
Whether you want another 9x something casing rattling around the shop is another question. :) Keping 9s and .380s sorted is challenge enough.
Neat gun, tho'. Would love to have a .380 version.
Moon
take a peek at my post. Been using cut down 9mm cases. You can use fired 9 Mak or 38 Super comp trimmed to the correct size.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok time for an update. I would like to inform everyone that I am now the proud owner of a pp super. I have a book on how to make rare cartridges so if I ever wanted to shoot it I could make some. However at the moment I'm just happy to fill another hole in the walther collection. Here is the auction picture of it. I'll add some more when I receive it in the flesh. ( takes a while in Australia). Please disregard the mistakes in the auction description. I think I scored it for a pretty good price considering it in Australian dollars.

Trigger Font Gun barrel Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks to GeoNoles generosity I did not need to cut down cases but received the brass from him. The 9x18 is an easy cartidge to reload with a standard 9mm die and either a .380 or .223 shellholder.
If there should ever be a problem with ammo availability for non-reloaders, it should should not be too hard to make a chamber adapter and install that, or have a qualified gun smith take care of that.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Interesting idea, Andy, I haven’t heard of anybody modifying the chamber of a 9x18 Ultra to fit .380. I still owe you those other boxes of Ultra casings, I am sure they are around here, but for the life of me I can’t find them. Easier to just go shoot up a couple of boxes of Ultra now that the range is back in operation. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts