Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out shooting my German made PP in .32 ACP caliber. It's in great shape, made in 1973 with springs all replaced by Earl's.

Shot great at the range, even had a few 3-shot 1" groups at 25 meters which opened up to 2-3" with the full 5-shot group.

Anyway, I get it home and go to pull back the slide. Nothing. There is a live round still chambered in it that makes this issue much more interesting.

I tried turning the safety off and on, inserting and ejecting an empty magazine. Nothing. Slide will not budge and let me eject the live round. I even tried *very* carefully pulling the trigger back a little while holding onto the hammer (and keeping the pistol pointed in a very safe corner location of my basement) and still the slide won't budge.

Before I do the obvious and shoot the round out (which I can do living in the rural suburbs of Philly), I figured I would ask the board for advice.

Anything that I'm missing here? Also, what the hell could be locking the slide and preventing it from opening? I've never experienced this before on any pistol.

All replies welcomed. TIA.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think my very first priority would be to take the live round out of the equation.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It sounds like the round had a case buldge or something else that caused the round to get stuck in the chamber.

I had this happen to me once on an American made PPK/S. It turned out that I didn't have enough lube on the slide and rails. Basically I just had to pull really hard. LEAVE THE SAFETY ON WHILE DOING THIS. That way the hammer won't accidently fall on the firing pin.

Does the slide fully lock forward into battery? If so, I'd probably shoot it. Although that could present some danger also.

You might also try spraying some WD40 up into the slide to rail area. If it is similar to my experience, this may lube things up a little.

Let us know.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A similar situation arose recently in the Makarov forum. The only consensus was to take the weapon to a gunsmith. Because of the live round.

In another instance with a previously fired round, the idea was to place the gun in a table vise and then give it a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet. It did work, but it was not a live round.

Seems that if you fire the round, damage will be caused to the gun. The amount of damage is anyone's guess. I believe that the best thing would be to try to make that round inert. If this is possible, I don't know. But it certainly is a lot better than giving it a couples of whacks while bone dry.

BTW, what brand ammo were you using?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It seems to me that if you can move the extractor claw off of the casing, you should be able to retract the slide if it's a bulged casing. Othewise, it's likely that some part of the firing mechanism is wedged between the slide and frame.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. The info about pulling back the extractor then attempting to move the slide back was key. That never dawned on me, hence my post to this forum. After doing that, the slide came right back.

Then I tried to pull out the round by hand from the chamber. No doing. I ended up pushing it backwards, from the muzzle side out the chamber, with a punch tool inserted inside the barrel (slide was locked back to the rear with an empty magazine in, and the safety was on, so I believed it to be as safe as possible).

Doing this, the round finally came out. What apparently happened was the bullet had become unseated and had moved forward several millimeters while in the chamber, thereby locking it in there, and not allowing the slide to move.

BTW, most of the time, I had been firing Federal Classic FMJ 71g fodder, but had tried some Cor-Bon hollow-point +P loads. They were definitely hotter, but cycled and fired fine. My only guess is the recoil from them had loosened the last round's bullet which I subsequently loaded into the pistol, then brought it home with me, safety on, as a carry piece, since I didn't have a full-size pistol with me, and I never like to be unarmed at the range or in route to or from the range.

I've heard of bullets becoming unseated before, but normally regarding magnum revolvers and lightweight projectiles, not .32ACP pistols.

Thanks all for the help. Really made it simple.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked. But you have to admit that you took a couple of chances there.

Whatever. All's well that ends well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Glad I could help.

I woudn't have expected a factory Cor-Bon round to become unseated either.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you have not already discarded the shell and bullet, don't.

Offer to send it back to them so they can look at it. It sounds like a quality control issue and i agree thet they will probably make it right.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too late. While I kept the bullet, I tossed out the cartridge in the trash, and that went out to the curb on Wednesday.

Never thought of calling Cor-Bon.

Well, if it ever happens again, and hopefully it won't, I will most definitely call them as I have several boxes from that order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts